Insurance

Mazza101

• Platinum Member

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to put a soft top onto my 2014 4-door Wrangler and was wondering what insurance experience other members of the club have in this situation. No other modifications will be done (at least not for now). The car is currently insured with Direct Line, who said that they will not offer insurance if the soft top was fitted - even though the Wrangler is listed as a convertible. I'm looking to swap over to Adrian Flux. Am I doing the right thing? Also, in the eyes of insurance, is just taking off the hard top and driving around viewed as a modification?

I apologise if the above questions are stupid, this is my first experience with a convertble Jeep...

Many Thanks for your help!

• Administrators

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking to put a soft top onto my 2014 4-door Wrangler and was wondering what insurance experience other members of the club have in this situation. No other modifications will be done (at least not for now). The car is currently insured with Direct Line, who said that they will not offer insurance if the soft top was fitted - even though the Wrangler is listed as a convertible. I'm looking to swap over to Adrian Flux. Am I doing the right thing? Also, in the eyes of insurance, is just taking off the hard top and driving around viewed as a modification?

I apologise if the above questions are stupid, this is my first experience with a convertble Jeep...

That is crazy ! The Wrangler is a convertible had this issue before with insurance! They agreed as long as it was a Mopar item! Adrain Flux of try NFU

• Platinum Member

Hi Everyone!

This is an interesting one.....  All of my cars are insured through Direct Line.  They never questioned about whether the soft top was fitted or not...

I've been driving around with the soft top fitted for a good few months now, even dove through France with it on. 

Question is do I ring to see whether I'm covered??

• Platinum Member

This is an interesting one.....  All of my cars are insured through Direct Line.  They never questioned about whether the soft top was fitted or not...

I've been driving around with the soft top fitted for a good few months now, even dove through France with it on. 

Question is do I ring to see whether I'm covered??

Well, they told me that putting a soft top on changes the structure of the car - we all know that is not the case, but they have their little rules. Might be best to check...

• Administrators

Well, they told me that putting a soft top on changes the structure of the car - we all know that is not the case, but they have their little rules. Might be best to check...

Had this debate before ! Jeep sell the wrangler as a convertible with the soft as a factory option ! I pointed this out to Adrain Flux at the time who insured my wife JK at that time! They admitted they were wrong after a 20min conversation on the phone !!

• Platinum Member

When I got my TJ  we where with Churchill and was told that if I removed the hard top for the soft top I was to let them no

So many phone calls where made until someone got fed up with me  And to stop playing silly games

On my renewal the cost got to much so the time to change insurance to Adrain flux

Most of the top insurers let you have about 3 mods after that  :wav2

The mods that are on the list  of most  insurance companies are just plain crazy 

Terry

• Platinum Member

The soft top is on my modification list that comes out most years with Flux as they change insuresrs looking for the best deal. Went down this year  :great:

• Administrators

Thing is the soft top IS part of your purchase as an option on a new JK?? Also it's listed as a convertible on the blog book ? Not really a modification if it's a Factory option?

• Platinum Member

I had this same debate with a couple of companies last week, while insuring my new Jeep. Thanksfully was already aware of potential soft top issues from an earlier post by Stewart.

Most companies list the Jeep Wrangler as an estate and sound surprised when you explain that the roof comes off by design!

Ended up going with NFU mutual, covered for off road, soft top and mods at a reasonable price. Can recommend Ellie @ NFU Oxted who was a delight to deal with, going away and getting quesiotns answered by their underwriters with little drama.  Tell her I sent you if you do :)

Changed my wife's insurance to them too this week, as her car is only 1 year old and NFU have a standard replacement clause if under 2 years old. She is also now covered for use off road too.

Regards

Mark (Woods)

• Platinum Member

Thank you very much for your replies, everyone! looks like Direct Line will be loosing a customer in me this weekend...