2.8 CRD - Top End Ticking on startup

Aussiebruce

• Platinum Member
Aussiebruce

Hi everyone,  my 2.8 JK engine has done 41,000 miles, on start up it is noticeably noisy with a distinctive tick which becomes faster with increased engine revs.  As the engine warms the ticking noise decreases.  I suspect the hydraulic tappets are to blame so at the last service the mechanic added a German product designed to clean the top end - it worked for a short period but the noise is now as bad as before.  Any ideas please.  Thanks.

• Platinum Member

Sorry to ask the obvious but I assume you've checked the oil level?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
glastodan03

Hi :wav1 Iv got a ticking noise from my 2.8 crd which again changes with eng speed. I can almost describe it as a electrical snap! Originally thought it was injector but noise is worse from under the veh. Sometimes the noise disappears completely. A few other club members have the same noise and it's never caused them any problems.

• Platinum Member
Aussiebruce

Thanks for the replies, oil level is perfect and the grade was spot on. The full service was about 500 miles ago. Engine performance and mpg are normal with clean exhaust and smooth acceleration. It's definitely not an electrical snap sound so was wondering whether any other member has had  any tappet problems in the past as I'm guessing that is the source of the noise.  Thanks again for your replies.