Front mounted Intercooler

MCQBushcraft

• Platinum Member
MCQBushcraft

I recently fitted a cold air intake on the Jeep XJ TD and managed to take a lot of the bends out of the original intake pipe.

I also bought an aftermarket intercooler as mine was full of mud and partially destroyed.

I bought a fairly large aftermarket one, actually its far too big as I got my measurements all wrong. They wouldn't take a refund unfortunately as some of the finns had been very very slightly bent in handling by me.  :icon_evil:

So I decided to give it a go and see how it worked. Took some serious modding of the front end. Had to move the radiator back 2.5 inches and build brackets for it. cut away some of the original metal and mount the intercooler to the slam panel.

All went together well once clearance was made for it all.

The original owner said it had a turbo tune. I have no idea what this could have involved? I thought all tuning had to be done from the ECU, unless some maniacal waste gate thing has been done, any ideas would be great?

Just got to put the front back on and cut away some of the grill. Will upload what it looks like when its done.

IMG_6497.thumb.JPG.ba1414976009aed7cfcd372d68d2349f.JPG

IMG_6493.thumb.JPG.a18c3869286cad47c9894dbc79c3bef4.JPG

• Platinum Member

Looks a beast !!

Love what you've got going on with that XJ. Used to have one just like it ( minus the mods) same colour 2.5 Auto Sport, absolutely great Jeep.

• Platinum Member
MCQBushcraft

Well its all back together and running well.

The day after I completed it I had work up in the lake district so it got a six hour run up north which was a great test for it all. No noticeable changes in engine temps, I actually expected the temps to go up a little as more air and less fuel means a hotter combustion chamber and leaner burn but it was all fairly normal from what I could see. No more black smoke when I put my foot down which is a sign that all the the fuel is being burn.

Got 36.6 miles to the gallon on the way up which I was happy about and I can certainly feel a little more power.

Next job is the radiator and a fitting the fan shroud off of the 4L petrol model as that particular shroud has no space at the bottom for the stock intercooler like the diesel. just sucks the air off of the radiator a little more efficiently.     

IMG_6603.thumb.JPG.4e5f4066ce0d3e6a901fcdccc7af4b90.JPG