New TrailHawk- Towing my Boat

Ailyun

• Platinum Member

Hey guys, just bought a 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk with V6 3.2L, and the dealership is putting a hitch on as part of the deal.

So without the tow package I understand the towing capacity is 2000lbs. Doing some searching I found my boat and motor is about 1100lbs and I need to check the serial number of my trailer but looking on the manufacturers site, the most it would be is 770lbs. So about 1900 lbs and then with gas and stuff in the boat it could be pushing the limit.

Its not that heavy of a boat as its aluminum, and weve pulled it okay for a short trip with a little 2.4L SUV a friend had. Just wondering what you guys think as far as if I should be good or if I should be getting a transmission cooler installed.

I will inquire with the dealership what the tow package includes and costs.

Will posts pictures in the other section when I get home.

• Platinum Member

Hey guys, just bought a 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk with V6 3.2L, and the dealership is putting a hitch on as part of the deal.

So without the tow package I understand the towing capacity is 2000lbs. Doing some searching I found my boat and motor is about 1100lbs and I need to check the serial number of my trailer but looking on the manufacturers site, the most it would be is 770lbs. So about 1900 lbs and then with gas and stuff in the boat it could be pushing the limit.

Its not that heavy of a boat as its aluminum, and weve pulled it okay for a short trip with a little 2.4L SUV a friend had. Just wondering what you guys think as far as if I should be good or if I should be getting a transmission cooler installed.

I will inquire with the dealership what the tow package includes and costs.

Will posts pictures in the other section when I get home.

I think you're confusing kg for lbs.

Read the link.

http://www.jeep.co.uk/cherokee/pdf/Trailhawk_brochure.pdf

Max towing weight - braked trailer (kg) 2200

Which is 4850.17lbs.

A whole thread to browse through on the subject of V6 TH towing a boat:

<Link Removed>

• Platinum Member

There's a massive difference between a braked trailer and an unbraked trailer - 2200 kg v 450kg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

There's a massive difference between a braked trailer and an unbraked trailer - 2200 kg v 450kg.

For obvious reasons!

• Platinum Member

Indeed. Just a bit surprised at the vast difference. Ailyun doesn't say which type of trailer he has.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Its a Yacht Club. Simple trailer for a 17' boat, no brakes.

But I called up the dealership and he said Im good, I do have a 4500lb tow capacity and have the auxillary transmission and engine coolers. I just got all worried because the manual said 2000lbs without the tow package, and I figured since I didnt have the hitch I wouldnt have any of the tow package.

But Im confident now that Im good, and the hitch was put on yesterday. Its a very nice setup, I like it!

Interested to see what gas mileage I will get towing. I reset the economy for our trip on the weekend (not towing) and got 8.4L/100km  (28 US mpg)

• Platinum Member

Its a Yacht Club. Simple trailer for a 17' boat, no brakes.

But I called up the dealership and he said Im good, I do have a 4500lb tow capacity and have the auxillary transmission and engine coolers. I just got all worried because the manual said 2000lbs without the tow package, and I figured since I didnt have the hitch I wouldnt have any of the tow package.

But Im confident now that Im good, and the hitch was put on yesterday. Its a very nice setup, I like it!

Interested to see what gas mileage I will get towing. I reset the economy for our trip on the weekend (not towing) and got 8.4L/100km  (28 US mpg)

You may want to do some more checking. You said in the original post

So about 1900 lbs and then with gas and stuff in the boat it could be pushing the limit.

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/identification_plates.aspx

Trailer Maximum Weights

Type 01: unbraked trailers - max. 750kg (1653lbs) gross trailer weight or half the towing vehicle's kerb weight - whichever is less.

Type 02: trailers on overrun brakes - max. 3500kg (7716lbs) gross trailer weight

So unless i'm missing something you're over the weight limit for an unbraked trailer.

My suggestion, get thee to a weighbridge and find out EXACTLY what the trailer, boat, PLUS anything else you plan on putting in there ("gas and stuff in the boat") weighs.

• Platinum Member

Those weights I said in the original post are what the items weigh but the trailer itself is more like 500 or 600 lbs.

Heres from the Manitoba MPI book.

Screenshot_2016-07-07-11-42-14.thumb.png.184250547e1e9915ae1320a4fa846520.png