New Member Looking For Buying Advice - Grand Cherokee 4.7 v8

cookingfat63

• Platinum Member
cookingfat63

Hi

Im a new member to the jeep club

Im looking to purchase a Grand Cherokee Auto 4.7 v8 in the 2001-2005 year im not looking to purchase for a few months as i want to research them first

Can anyone give me any pointers of what to look for FAULT WISE, What MPG i can expect (its going to be used for low miles so MPG isnt a problem) i dont mind something that will require some work as long as its nothing major.

Any advice would be much appreciated

• Platinum Member

Welcome to the club  :wav1

I have a WJ 4.7V8 Limited XS Auto. I get around 15mpg travelling around town and around 20-21MPG on the motorways. That is also after all the modifications i have done as well. I knew it would be a little thirsty when I bought it so never really worried about it :)

I have had no major faults, well other than my Power Steering Pump. The PS pump also drives the Engine Cooling fan on the 4.7. They made it an hydraulic one on this car. When testing a car turn the steering to full lock and rev the engine, anything that sounds funny could point to a PS pump failure. That's £300 to replace.

Have a look at my build thread and feel free to PM me with any questions. https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,6573.0.html

Si

• Platinum Member
cookingfat63

hi

thanks for the advice, im supprised that the mpg is as good as that so thats another  tick in the box

best regards

alan

• Platinum Member

Dont do it lol! It will eat all your cash. With mine I have spent nearly 3K on mine since feb. Check the heater core has not gone. brakes make sure they good. Random stalls and rough idle could be tps and iac sensors. noise from the diffs could be pinion and carrier bearings. trouble starting could be a seal on fuel pump gone.

I think I have been just unlucky with mine. Pick a good one to buy and saves you lot of expense.

Good luck!!

• Platinum Member
jeepstertim

Buy an Overland, as well as the extras, the additional power over the stock 4.7 was startling.  Mine had brake and viscous coupling issues from new.