Sounds like a gearbox whine.....?

Capt Jack

• Platinum Member

I recently bough an 11 plate Jeep Compass 2.2 turbo diesel (4 wheel drive option). Having previously owned a Merc with the same engine I was confident of the vehicle, having only 30K miles on the clock. Two other family members have been Jeep owners for years, and refer to their models as bullet proof! The car seems to be developing a whine (gearbox/transfer box?) that goes up and down in note with the engine revs. It reminds me of an old Landrover Defender! Has anyone else come across this before? I have no oil leaks, the exhaust is normal (no sludge/oil specks), no oil consumption. The vehicle drives great, apart from the odd trip to the local shop it does long trips about once a week (400+ miles per trip - I work from home). The dealer I bought it from has been very helpful, but doesn't seem to think there is anything wrong. Not sure where to go from here. Any advice more than welcome.

• Platinum Member
mad mechanic

They suffer with wheel bearings for some reason...we had a spate of about 5 or 6 then nothing but had a couple more patriots as well recently.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the input. I don't think it is wheel bearings, the noise is engine speed related, not road speed related. I am doing a few long trips soon, so hopefully this will expose the problem without to much inconvenience!