XJ - should I or shouldn't I

davidsmith1307

• Platinum Member
davidsmith1307

Have the chance to get a 2000 2.5 XJ which has a list of issues and could do with some input as to whether any are biggies that I should walk away from.

1) Gearbox mount had been bodged and the bodge failed so needs a new mount.  :grrrrrr:

2) Wobbly gearbox cause vibrations that have knocked out the transfer box rear seal.....

3) ... and both rear prop UJs.

4) Front driveshaft UJs need replacing.

5) Core plug is weeping  :icon_cry:

6) Viscous fan on all the time

7) Expansion tank lid crocked.

8) Back brakes don't.  :icon_eek:

P.S. I only think it is the gearbox mount. Mounted on the crossmember but with a bushing in it.

It's a bit of a list but are any of those killers?

Thanks for any input

• Platinum Member

Hi. I'm probably stating the obvious but unless you can do the work yourself, the repairs may cost more than the car is worth, but that is often the case with XJs sadly.  It's weird they are so cheap because they are much loved cars and will probably go back up in value at some point. I'm pretty sure the diesel is less sought after than the 4 litre petrol, despite being cheaper on fuel, so it might be better to look for one of those. Depends on the miles you intend to cover.  My petrol XJ does 18 mpg but I only do about 3000 miles a year in it so I can tolerate its heavy thirst.  As they say on the Jeep forums, it's about smiles per gallon and not miles per gallon!  I've never driven the diesel version so I can't comment on how good or bad it is, but I can state that the petrol version is silky smooth and quiet despite producing loads of power and torque.  Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
davidsmith1307

A 4.0 would be nice, but I quite fancy this one and it is sort of local. It's a smooth as any other 15 year old tractor!

As long as all the things I pointed out are DIYable then that's good with me.