Inverter Installation

Yellow

• Platinum Member

Due to work I'm going to need to power stuff as I go along, and it can't hurt for a spot of camping here and there either!

I've got a 1000w inverter on its way, and the plan is to have it permanently installed under the front passenger seat, with an extension to a few 100w chargers that may sit in the boot, or more likely in the back seats so we can monitor charging as we go - the extension should give us the flexibility to do what we want, but I'd like the inverter stationary under the seat.

Sadly the job coming up I'm going to have to do in the Land Rovers provided, so its got to be put in there for now.

I have no knowledge of Discoveries, and perhaps this isn't the greatest place to ask, but I'm looking for cables that can take the 10ish amps I'll need (not going to put this through the cigarette lighter!) with the right size crimps on the end, and hopefully these will double up on the stock Wrangler battery, as well as on the Disco?

I'm not sure on battery placement on the Disco, I'm sure I can look it up though.

Where might I look for the right cables and crimps for this install, and is there even a way to get the cables neatly to inside the cab (disco and jeep)

The plan was just to have it permanently in there, no plugs in the cables or anything, is this something that I should consider for this?

If there is anything else I've forgotten it wouldn't surprise me, so fire away!

• Platinum Member
Wildjeeper62

Due to work I'm going to need to power stuff as I go along, and it can't hurt for a spot of camping here and there either!

I've got a 1000w inverter on its way, and the plan is to have it permanently installed under the front passenger seat, with an extension to a few 100w chargers that may sit in the boot, or more likely in the back seats so we can monitor charging as we go - the extension should give us the flexibility to do what we want, but I'd like the inverter stationary under the seat.

Sadly the job coming up I'm going to have to do in the Land Rovers provided, so its got to be put in there for now.

I have no knowledge of Discoveries, and perhaps this isn't the greatest place to ask, but I'm looking for cables that can take the 10ish amps I'll need (not going to put this through the cigarette lighter!) with the right size crimps on the end, and hopefully these will double up on the stock Wrangler battery, as well as on the Disco?

I'm not sure on battery placement on the Disco, I'm sure I can look it up though.

Where might I look for the right cables and crimps for this install, and is there even a way to get the cables neatly to inside the cab (disco and jeep)

The plan was just to have it permanently in there, no plugs in the cables or anything, is this something that I should consider for this?

If there is anything else I've forgotten it wouldn't surprise me, so fire away!

Was your inverter supplied with cables?

If not I would connect a 1000 Watts inverter to my battery with wires of cross section of 10mm2 (Length of about 2 metres from engine bay to front seats)  no matter if you only want to draw 10Amps from it. Always wire it to the maximum rating it can produce.

I found this online: www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Inverters/TLINV600_24_Instructions.pdf

They make 600W and 1000W DC 12 Volt Inverters. I extracted a bit about the Grounding.

Basically the size of the Grounding wire is always equal to the size of the input wire required for the Maximum rating it can produce.

INSTALLATION

1. Install inverter in a cool, dry and well ventilated area away from any inflammable material.

2. Ensure the DC power cables are as short as possible (<2m ) and of suitable size to handle the current

required. This is to minimise any voltage drop when the inverter draws high currents. Remember solid, secure,

clean connections are essential for optimum performance.

3. Grounding. Connect the chassis ground lug ( where applicable ) to earth ground or car chassis using # 8 AWG

wire, preferably with green / yellow insulation.

4. Battery Type and Size. Make sure the battery has enough capacity to run the inverter at the power needed.

Inverters can be powered by normal car batteries but it is recommended to start the engine every 30 - 60

minutes and let it run for about 10minutes to recharge the battery. Remember to switch OFF the inverter. For

the larger inverters or where extended operating times are required, then Deep Cycle leisure or traction type

lead acid batteries are recommended as they are designed for deep discharge where they will be repeatedly

discharged and recharged. When sizing your battery it is better to have extra capacity as you will have more

reserve and the battery will not be discharged as deeply. To obtain sufficient battery capacity you may need to

use more than one battery. Two identical batteries can be connected in parallel (+) to (+) and (-) to (-) to double

the capacity.

CAUTION: Do not connect batteries of different makes or AMP- hour (Ah) rating. Connections to battery post

must be made with solid secure connectors that provide a reliable, low resistance connection. Clean terminals

regularly.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for that, This is why I'm looking for more cables, as the ones that came with it (one for the cigarette lighter socket) and they other was crocodile clips to the battery, which were all of 20cm long so are completely useless!

Any ides where I can get some cable to join to the battery, with the crimp ends so I can leave them in permanently? probably need 2m ish