Spare wheel low pressure

otnot

• Platinum Member

Low pressure spare wheel message on dash,I have tested pressure it's not low also swapped spare with one off wife's grandcherokee 2006 same model but message still comes up on dash but not on other car.Can you reset message on dash information or any other ideas please?

• Platinum Member

On the Xj it's the sensor in the tyre valve that packs up. You can't reset it from the dash. you can buy the valves with the sensors they aren't too expensive but apparently they have to be set up / calibrated to the vehicle ?? Which, of course , can only be done by a dealer.

Oh for the days when cars weren't run by computers !  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

On the Xj it's the sensor in the tyre valve that packs up. You can't reset it from the dash. you can buy the valves with the sensors they aren't too expensive but apparently they have to be set up / calibrated to the vehicle ?? Which, of course , can only be done by a dealer.

Oh for the days when cars weren't run by computers !  :icon_e_biggrin:

Oops, I meant KJ not XJ :icon_redface:

• Platinum Member

On my KJ and others, I believe the sensors are powered by an internal battery which allegedly only lasts 7/8 years. 4 out of my five are still going after 9 years! The other one broke! Then they stop sending signals to the computer. Providing you fit a new match they talk to the computer after a short time on the move. They don't have to be 'programmed' by a dealer as far as I'm aware? The dash light goes out after a while, so I ignore it. The valves break easily after a few years wear cos they're made of aluminium, cheap and nasty, well not quite so cheap!!

I have changed the original alloys for steels which don't have sensors, the computer tells me the TPMS is faulty then gives up and goes out. Result!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi all the sensors are working but still got low pressure spare on dash would I have to go to main dealer to have the message removed or is there another solution?

• Platinum Member

On my KJ and others, I believe the sensors are powered by an internal battery which allegedly only lasts 7/8 years. 4 out of my five are still going after 9 years! The other one broke! Then they stop sending signals to the computer. Providing you fit a new match they talk to the computer after a short time on the move. They don't have to be 'programmed' by a dealer as far as I'm aware? The dash light goes out after a while, so I ignore it. The valves break easily after a few years wear cos they're made of aluminium, cheap and nasty, well not quite so cheap!!

I have changed the original alloys for steels which don't have sensors, the computer tells me the TPMS is faulty then gives up and goes out. Result!

I changed the valves on my JK for rubber ones, instead of aluminium. Problem solved!

• Platinum Member

I changed the valves on my JK for rubber ones, instead of aluminium. Problem solved!

Do the rubber valves sit on the original sensor Hugo?  Or did you do away with the sensors altogether?

I have a valve that broke so no sensor in the spare, and flashing TPMS warning on my 2015 JK. The wheels are from my 2011 JK so maybe the sensors won't match anyway? I still have the sensor with the damaged valve, so the valve could be replaced.

I was hoping the dealer could plug in and disable the TPMS system, but they can't, they say they tried.

Will a Procal switch off the TPMS warning ? I understand the Flashcal will, but I have a iMac and the Flashcal can only be updated online through Windows, grr.

• Platinum Member

Do the rubber valves sit on the original sensor Hugo?  Or did you do away with the sensors altogether?

I have a valve that broke so no sensor in the spare, and flashing TPMS warning on my 2015 JK. The wheels are from my 2011 JK so maybe the sensors won't match anyway? I still have the sensor with the damaged valve, so the valve could be replaced.

I was hoping the dealer could plug in and disable the TPMS system, but they can't, they say they tried.

Will a Procal switch off the TPMS warning ? I understand the Flashcal will, but I have a iMac and the Flashcal can only be updated online through Windows, grr.

Still have the TPMS sensor, although I had to get new ones. I can't remember what I got, but they were cheap - around 20 dollars, at the time. I am sure I read another post on here, sometime ago of someone that ordered a set of 5 from eBay and they worked perfectly.

I do not have a Procal, but I am sure you are able to disable the TPMS system with it. Read a while back that, for 2012 and +, the light will go out, but you have to disconnect the battery to make the menu message disappear. I am sure you can find info about it on the AEV forum.

Good luck!

• Administrators

The Jeep sensors are no more that £25 from memory ! I have found non genuine not to work in the past not sure why? Also may add later JK's give individual tyre pressure readouts from 2013 MY . Previously you just had a warning light !

• Platinum Member

I know you can lower the threshold of the tyre sensor reading with a PROCAL Stewart, but if the tyre sensor is missing altogether will the PROCAL turn the TPMS off? Therfore losing the warning message and flashing symbol? The dealer can't do it with their kit I've discovered.

Never had the problem with the 2011 as it didn't have a spare wheel sensor. But then all my wheels are off  the 2011 so none will match anyway, I suppose.