lunchbox lockers advice

woody-Jeep

• Platinum Member
woody-Jeep

Hi i think the time as come to re gear the tj and fit some lockers / bigger mud tyres.

i am looking at 33" tyres so belive that 4.56 is the correct gear ratio ?

So here's the real question i am looking into lockers but the budget will only really cover the lunchbox (automatic) type.

i have heard some are noiser than others, are any of you using these and what are your thoughts and which make are you using ?

also is it best to do both diffs or just one, the jeep as the standard dana 30 / 44 diff combination .

i also take it that they only work once 4w drive is engaged ?

so just after general advice really

thanks Woody  :great:

• Platinum Member

i've  Detroit locker in the rear, very quiet compared to the richmond aussie locker I had before.

I experimented with the aussie in the front, lasted a month, to much clicking and gunshot  :icon_lol: like banging, when it was unloading

these types of locker are engaged all the time.

I think a detroit in the front should be ok though as they are much more refined

• Platinum Member

Woody,

Have you seen this on Jeepey? http://shop.jeepey.com/product/arb-locker-re-gear-package-456-tj-arb456tj/

Full locker kit front and rear with re-gear to 4.56 and air compressor and all switches? Suitable for up to 35" tyres?  I know its a little on the high side, but worth seeing if they could give you a little discount being a forum member. Not sure if you have used them before or not but I got a little on my rack as a repeat customer.

• Platinum Member

If you're going 4.56 from (presumably) 3.07 you're going to have to replace the carriers anyway, so you might as well get purpose built lockers.

• Platinum Member

My TJ also needs a regear.. Gonna keep a close eye on this one

The package at Jeepey seems good value, any idea roughly how much they'll charge for fitting

• Platinum Member

I have mainly dealt with Andy when I have been sorting stuff out. Just give them a call I really can't fault them with how they helped me out  :great:

• Platinum Member
woody-Jeep

Thanks for the advice so far, ive seen the package on jeepey your on about Taz but the cost of that was about the budget for the lockers regear + fitting.

Does any body have a rough idea of cost for fitting a Arb complete locker and re gear kit. And how long it would take.

there is no way i would attempt this myself, i would end up thinking it was done and then find loads of parts on the drive  :rofl:

cheers so far  :great:

• Platinum Member

Woody just give Jeepey a call, they would be able to install if you could get the car up to them. Not sure of any Jeep specific guys local to you.

Speak with Paul at PB Customs in Peterborough , Like Mike says if you re-gearing you'll be half way there so not going for lockers whilst your at it mean doubling up on labour when you do want lockers.

I had a Tru-lock locker in my TJ up front and was perfect, little bit of clicking but nothing problematic . But having big had both lunchbox and ARB Airlockers I can say without a doubt I wouldn't go the lunchbox style again. Save a bit longer and go the ARB's ! Ultimatly being in control of when you want lock and not means you'll be better and safer off road. I.e. You not guessing is it or isn't it locked!

Make sure you are certain of where you get the job done's capabilities and experience , I had a nightmare that cost me a fortune due to poor Lunchbox locker fitment on my JK , ended up with ARBs which I now wouldn't be without !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
woody-Jeep

James Sunderland is your man..

Woody just give Jeepey a call, they would be able to install if you could get the car up to them. Not sure of any Jeep specific guys local to you.

Speak with Paul at PB Customs in Peterborough , Like Mike says if you re-gearing you'll be half way there so not going for lockers whilst your at it mean doubling up on labour when you do want lockers.

hi thanks for the recommendations looks like a few phone calls tommorow to find out some more info.

:great:

I had a Tru-lock locker in my TJ up front and was perfect, little bit of clicking but nothing problematic . But having big had both lunchbox and ARB Airlockers I can say without a doubt I wouldn't go the lunchbox style again. Save a bit longer and go the ARB's ! Ultimatly being in control of when you want lock and not means you'll be better and safer off road. I.e. You not guessing is it or isn't it locked!

Make sure you are certain of where you get the job done's capabilities and experience , I had a nightmare that cost me a fortune due to poor Lunchbox locker fitment on my JK , ended up with ARBs which I now wouldn't be without !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
woody-Jeep

thanks for the recommendations looks like a few phone calls tommorow.

Cheers  :great:

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

If starting afresh I'd probably go with something switchable on the front. Automatic lockers mean that when you apply power the axle locks. In 4x4 that means the front axle just wants to go straight ahead which is a problem if you want to steer and climb out of something.

Steve.

• Platinum Member

How have the phone calls gone Woody? Were all dying to know whats next on your Jeep  :mdr: