Is buying a Jeep different to buying any other vehicle

Tony Bennett

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

A serious question but let me explain the background as to why I ask it.

Last June, I bought a top of the range Mercedes SLK, built to spec .  I used a 2 year old Peugeot CC in part exchange, I bought that car using a 3 year old Peugeot cc in part exchange. 

I have bought four brand new cars in the last nine years and within that same time I have bought a 2 year old 4 x 4.  On each occasion, I have part exchanged something to seal the deal without the need to ensure that the part exchange has someone waiting to buy it.

I have never been turned down or been asked to find a buyer for my car first.

Recently I contacted Horsham, one of the site sponsors and explained I was looking to buy a new Jeep 4dr JKU in August and had my vehicle to offer in part exchange. I asked them for a valuation on it.  I mentioned that I was a member here and that was why I was directing my request to them.

11 days later I got an email from Horsham that said “I'm struggling to find a buyer for your car, is selling it privately or to webuyanycar an option you'll consider?”

Just in case anyone reads the wrong thing into my question, this is not a rant against Horsham but a request to ask: Is buying a jeep different to buying any other vehicle. Although I was surprised that they were looking for a buyer in May and didn't provide a valuation.

It’s not normal in my experience for a new car dealer to not take a vehicle in PX, it is very common for some dealers to take old bangers when the have a sales drive on.

My 4x4 isn’t an old banger, its 10 years old I admit but with only 82k on the clock.

Does anyone know if all jeep dealers have the same approach as Horsham please?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tony Bennett

• TimC

• fen01

• Hotwheels

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Platinum Member

Tony,

I'm also new to jeep ownership. 

Previously I had a 4yr old Kia Sportage (on a 12 plate) purchased on PCP.  As it was coming to the end of it's deal, I went to Westaway, Northampton and traded against a 65 plate JKU without any issues, they even gave me above book price for it.

I would suggest you shop around dealers..

• Platinum Member

Normally if the P/X isn't a vehicle the dealer would retail themselves they would get it underwritten from a trader buyer. We have around 3 traders we use and try them all to get the best price, that's if it's a vehicle they would want buy off us. So it's quite strange that they have not done that.

Daz

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Thanks Daz.

I always thought that a main dealer had places they could place vehicles from a PX, it's a basic food chain.

• Platinum Member

Thanks Daz.

I always thought that a main dealer had places they could place vehicles from a PX, it's a basic food chain.

Yes that's right Tony. Most dealers will have a few traders to use to pass the p/x's on. We use around three and you find they all like a particular style of vehicle so we know who would be probably interested in each p/x.

Daz

• Platinum Member

Tony, the answer to your question is most definitely YES, it comes close to being a life changing experience. The answer  to the question "why won't this ###### dealer give me a straight answer or a px price on my jeep order" is (sadly) that he's a jeep dealer and 80% of jeep dealers are crap. Take Fens advice and talk to Westaways they aren't too bad.

• Platinum Member

Tony

Have a word with the admin on here as they were offering some stock that had come in for UK dealers.  Also have a chat with Odball on here.  He's from your neck of the woods (well Gloucester way). He may be able to put in touch with a friendly dealer in the West Country.  I do know there is a jeep dealers in Swindon, as they couldn't shift black editions quick enough.

Tim is right, there is a different message provided by different dealers. Before I went to westaway I was told by two different dealers uk stock was limited and available / non existent, jeep were taking / not taking build orders.

One thing I did pick up one was the fact stock is centrally held.  Dealers call off from it.  When they do the dealership purchases the vehicle, so it's in their interest to sell it.

• Platinum Member

Odball and I bought all our Jeeps (4 between us) from Paul at Swindon, and we don't have any complaints.

I know I didn't px any vehicles, so didn't have any issue with that, perhaps Steve can shed some light on it? I'd definitely say give Swindon a try, its not far for you

• Platinum Member

Hi Tony,

One stop shop is how dealers should approach things. Beggars belief when they don't. If you don't find a dealer that can do the whole exchange there is the online option.

I flogged my missus' Kia in a day on Autotrader when we bought her Rubicon.

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Hi Tony,

One stop shop is how dealers should approach things. Beggars belief when they don't. If you don't find a dealer that can do the whole exchange there is the online option.

I flogged my missus' Kia in a day on Autotrader when we bought her Rubicon.

Thanks Harry, I have had a test drive at Swindon and found the condescending attitude of the pompous ass of a salesman to much to bear so I will give them a miss .

• Platinum Member

Thanks Harry, I have had a test drive at Swindon and found the condescending attitude of the pompous ass of a salesman to much to bear so I will give them a miss .

What is it with these dealerships ??  :grrrrrr: Don't they want to sell Jeeps or something? It's like walking into Monty Python's Cheese Shop !! I had two dealerships wouldn't even give me a quote and wouldn't know a Wrangler if one drove over them. I was so astonished I actually wrote to Jeep UK about it, first time I've written and complained about anything in my life........ rant rant rant rant  :icon_mad: :icon_mad:  :sleep: :sleep: :sleep:

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

When I first went to enquire about one I went to the Jeep deaership in St.Phillips Marsh, Bristol.

Not only did they not have a wrangler, they told me I knew more about Wranglers than they did, and all I asked was the difference between the models and named them!!

They closed down and Jeep is now at a dealers in Brislington, Bristol who tell me that there is a 2 year wait for a Jeep Wrangler!

• Platinum Member

Quote from Jeep dealer in Hemel Hempstead when asked for info on the petrol wrangler " (laughs) They don't do one mate, only diesel! "..... idiot  :slap:

• Administrators

Quote from Jeep dealer in Hemel Hempstead when asked for info on the petrol wrangler " (laughs) They don't do one mate, only diesel! "..... idiot  :slap:

Funny that you should go back and tell them currently no Diesels available just petrols versions !! (waiting on Euro 6)

• Platinum Member
Maverick23

Funny that you should go back and tell them currently no Diesels available just petrols versions !! (waiting on Euro 6)

Stewart, I heard on the grapevine that the 2.8CRD has now been modified and achieved euro6 approval. This was in the same release to dealers about 18" wheels on all JK Wranglers going forward.

So I guess we are back to normal for UK soon ... maybe your sources could confirm that (?)

• Administrators

Stewart, I heard on the grapevine that the 2.8CRD has now been modified and achieved euro6 approval. This was in the same release to dealers about 18" wheels on all JK Wranglers going forward.

So I guess we are back to normal for UK soon ... maybe your sources could confirm that (?)

Yes full details here https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,7035.msg53254/topicseen.html

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

I went today to my local Jeep dealer to check out what they have and what I can get.

They cant sell anybody a Jeep Wrangler apparently and this is official.

The actual words the head Jeep salesman at Simonstone Jeep,  803-805 Bath Rd, Bristol BS4 5NL were:

1)  There is a two year wait for a Jeep Wrangler.

2) This is because JEEP is currently banned importing the Wrangler model into the country (until the e6 is available) and as such there is NO STOCK of new Wranglers available at this time

3) There are NO pre reg new models available and garages elsewhere do not have any for sale.

5) There might be old Wranglers around for sale but late model per-owned models are like RHS

I think I might contact JEEP and ask if this is their official line.

The 6 at the dealer around the corner from me must be a mirage then :rofl:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrators

I went today to my local Jeep dealer to check out what they have and what I can get.

They cant sell anybody a Jeep Wrangler apparently and this is official.

The actual words the head Jeep salesman at Simonstone Jeep,  803-805 Bath Rd, Bristol BS4 5NL were:

1)  There is a two year wait for a Jeep Wrangler.

2) This is because JEEP is currently banned importing the Wrangler model into the country (until the e6 is available) and as such there is NO STOCK of new Wranglers available at this time

3) There are NO pre reg new models available and garages elsewhere do not have any for sale.

5) There might be old Wranglers around for sale but late model per-owned models are like RHS

I think I might contact JEEP and ask if this is their official line.

Wow !! There are petrol versions being built and arriving to the UK shores right now !!  2 year wait ??  We haven't heard any issues? There is also stock of CRD euro 5 Wranglers available ! Try Horsham or Mtotorvillage.

• Platinum Member

It's funny how inconsistent the line seems to be from Jeep and how different the experience can be for people even at the same dealer  :scratch: particularly when it comes to the Wrangler, the Fiat dealers just don't seem to be able to get their heads round it. There's a guy on another thread just bought a Renegade from Glyn Hopkins St Albans seems to have got on fine, when I was looking for my Wrangler they were definitely the worst of a pretty poor bunch. Think Jeep UK need to step up their dealer training a few notches or maybe Renegades are all they want to sell. One dealer did tell me that the Wrangler has the worst margin so maybe that's why they're not keen. Thing is though it's still the Wrangler that's the Jeep icon and the closest to the WWII jeep that most people picture if you asked them to think of one.

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Does anyone have an email address for Jeep UK please, I cant see one on their website and want to write to them to ask if what Simonstones said is true.

TIA

• Platinum Member

You're wasting your time trying to speak to Jeep UK.  I asked a question 3 times on their facebook page and they promptly banned me, and all my friend who subsequently asked why I had been banned ... all I wanted to know was what oil they recommended for the NV245 transfer case as my dealer had filled it with ATF3  :scratch: they rely to much on their customers loyalty tbh and forget without us there would be no Jeep  :grrrrrr: