My JKU Build

matt28493

• Platinum Member

Hi Kelvin, 

Thanks mate! The beauty of jeeps is that they always requires mods, its never ending! I like the ride of the Old Man Emu, I had a Old man Emu kit on my pick up truck prior and that handled great. On and off road! Ive not heard much about terriferma jeep wise, so I'm intrigued to see how you get on! Get some photos taken and add them to your current/create a build thread.

Cheers, 

Matt. 

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Well team, the time has come for me to sell my Jeep. Im looking to move to a TJ so it won't be a drastic change. 

Ive posted a Sale Ad in the For Sale page. Wish me luck ?

• Platinum Member

It might be more of a change than you think going from a long wheelbase JKU to short wheelbase TJ particularly if it is similarly modified.

I hope the sale and the new purchase goes well for you.

Are you buying a ready built TJ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
On 15/11/2018 at 15:36, V said:

It might be more of a change than you think going from a long wheelbase JKU to short wheelbase TJ particularly if it is similarly modified.

I hope the sale and the new purchase goes well for you.

Are you buying a ready built TJ?

Yeah you're right, it will be a big change and it will take some getting used to. But I think I should be fine, I actually can't wait !

No I'm after a stock one as theres some big plans.. Axle swaps to D60 rear and D44 front (Both locked), Long arm kit with a 4 link triangulated rear and 3link front + track bar (So four link). Then stretch the wheel base a little. Looking at Fox shocks and rubicon express 4.5" Lifted springs. Then all the prop-shafts and gizmos that go with lifting a TJ by that much. I have my list... It's getting longer and longer ??  With the way the suspension is being designed we are aiming for both good on road and off road manners. In theory it should drive sweet ?

• Platinum Member
1 hour ago, matt28493 said:

Yeah you're right, it will be a big change and it will take some getting used to. But I think I should be fine, I actually can't wait !

No I'm after a stock one as theres some big plans.. Axle swaps to D60 rear and D44 front (Both locked), Long arm kit with a 4 link triangulated rear and 3link front + track bar (So four link). Then stretch the wheel base a little. Looking at Fox shocks and rubicon express 4.5" Lifted springs. Then all the prop-shafts and gizmos that go with lifting a TJ by that much. I have my list... It's getting longer and longer ??  With the way the suspension is being designed we are aiming for both good on road and off road manners. In theory it should drive sweet ?

Wow, sounds like a Project! Looking forward to seeing the build thread on that one ?

• Platinum Member

Stretching the wheelbase is definitely worth the effort. The XJ's 101.4" is perfect on 35" tyres so if you are aiming for 100"-104" on 35s or 37s I am sure you will be happy with the improvement of the stretch on your TJ.

A tip from my hard earned experience: Long arm suspensions unload really easy. It doesn't matter if they are 3 or 4 link. Nose stands, pointing at the sky and freaky side slope angles will develop your butt muscles. After 2-years of tyring to get used to it I found the cure. Six point limit straps. A limit strap for each shock, with the length set to just allow contact with the shock's internal bumpstop stopped ripping the shocks from the mounts. But the most important are the centre of axle limit straps, one at the mid point of each axle. Tune the length to the same as what the axle position would be with one wheel fully stuffed and the other at full droop. This will limit both sides unloading simultaneously to full droop without compromising articulation.

I think the central limit straps have a more noticeable affect the longer the wheelbase. I did my XJ first and will always add them to a long arm Jeep. We sold the TJ before I equipped it with limit straps and I think that if the straps were not sufficiently effective at stock TJ wheelbase manually controlled suck down winches would have done the trick.

I don't have a rear anti-roll bar on my XJ but I wish I did. I was intending to fit electrically disconnecting sway-bars from a Rubicon but Jeep put the price up after realising they missed a zero off the end. If you can lock up at least one anti-roll bar on a side slope when you need to it will help but the Jeep has to be level to do that, easy enough to get out to rock the body over. A Currie Anti-Rock in the rear works wonders and is a good compromise. Again. I wish I had the foresight to do this at the beginning.

One last tip: Keep the Centre of Gravity as low as you can get it. Shed the hard top, no roof racks or roof tents, or tyre carriers with high mounted jacks or fuel cans. Keep the CofG low and it will handle like a sportscar.

• Platinum Member
On 26/11/2018 at 15:27, V said:

Stretching the wheelbase is definitely worth the effort. The XJ's 101.4" is perfect on 35" tyres so if you are aiming for 100"-104" on 35s or 37s I am sure you will be happy with the improvement of the stretch on your TJ.

A tip from my hard earned experience: Long arm suspensions unload really easy. It doesn't matter if they are 3 or 4 link. Nose stands, pointing at the sky and freaky side slope angles will develop your butt muscles. After 2-years of tyring to get used to it I found the cure. Six point limit straps. A limit strap for each shock, with the length set to just allow contact with the shock's internal bumpstop stopped ripping the shocks from the mounts. But the most important are the centre of axle limit straps, one at the mid point of each axle. Tune the length to the same as what the axle position would be with one wheel fully stuffed and the other at full droop. This will limit both sides unloading simultaneously to full droop without compromising articulation.

I think the central limit straps have a more noticeable affect the longer the wheelbase. I did my XJ first and will always add them to a long arm Jeep. We sold the TJ before I equipped it with limit straps and I think that if the straps were not sufficiently effective at stock TJ wheelbase manually controlled suck down winches would have done the trick.

I don't have a rear anti-roll bar on my XJ but I wish I did. I was intending to fit electrically disconnecting sway-bars from a Rubicon but Jeep put the price up after realising they missed a zero off the end. If you can lock up at least one anti-roll bar on a side slope when you need to it will help but the Jeep has to be level to do that, easy enough to get out to rock the body over. A Currie Anti-Rock in the rear works wonders and is a good compromise. Again. I wish I had the foresight to do this at the beginning.

One last tip: Keep the Centre of Gravity as low as you can get it. Shed the hard top, no roof racks or roof tents, or tyre carriers with high mounted jacks or fuel cans. Keep the CofG low and it will handle like a sportscar.

Hi V, (Sorry I don't know your real name aha)

Thats was a lot of useful information mate and its much appreciated!

Limiting straps had crossed my mind, just not six of them! 

As for wheel base, I was aiming for a 100" wheel base. Im happy cutting up the body when needed. I also know that you can happily push the front forwards 3"s with out a issue. Its the rear I want to be careful with! Im not a fan when they cut the back end pretty much completely out. Yes maybe it helps with off roadie for the extra long wheel base... But I also want to like the look of the vehicle and aesthetically Im not a fan of no back end. Im sure the rozzers would have something to say about it also! 

Anti Role Bars- 

Yes I think in all honesty I will be having them front and rear. Preferably the Currie Anti Rock. 

Centre of Gravity- 

Yes this is something I have been thinking about a lot! In theory I think with my plan I should be okay. The axles should be a fair bit wider than stock resulting in a wider stance which should help! Im not one to mount things up top, whether its a LWB or SWB vehicle. I will be keeping a hard top if it comes with one. But I'll be buying a soft top for the summer for sure!! 

Ive potentially got my JKU sold. So now I just need to hunt for a TJ that's solid, straight and clean with LOW miles!