WJ condensation!?

Jimbo

• Platinum Member

When I bought my WJ just a few days ago I found the spare wheel well half full of water (No goldfish!) so after oiking the spare out and soaking up the water with a load of rags then drying it out I deduced it was more than likely due to condensation rather than a leak as the boot carpet was bone dry, no stains and no sign of any water ingress from the tailgate, window rubbers, headlining etc, (Landrover Discovery syndrome perhaps I thought!!), then yesterday I noticed the spare had a bit of condensation forming on the top, at the moment I've wedged open the boot floor lid slightly to let some air circulate and see what happens because it does seem to seal rather well when closed, I don't think the water had been sitting in there for long as there's no rust or anything it was perfectly clean after drying, has anyone else had this phenomenon?

• Platinum Member

Is there a drain hole / grommet in the well?  Might be under the carpet (if any).

• Platinum Member

Hello Ivan,

i'll have a closer look in the morning, I s'pose it'll just be a case of take it out and leave it out if there is a removable grommet of some kind in there, I know it's a minor problem but just seemed quite strange really, i'll have to keep an eye on it! The reason I mentioned it is I just thought it may be a common thing with the WJ maybe and there may be some sort of solution that someone has come up with in the past p'raps.

• Platinum Member

A long shot, but where does the hose for the rear washer run?

Hi Jim,

Good question, I shall investigate and report back, thank you!

• Platinum Member

its usually the tailgate glass seal, or the hinge mounts through the glass :icon_e_wink:

• Platinum Member

Thanks Gary,

Still waiting for it to rain at the moment in that respect! However, for quite a few days now the wheel well hatch/boot floor has been propped open so there's a slight gap to let air circulate and so far there's no sign of any moisture whatsoever, so 'till it rains i'm leaning more towards the condensation theory at the moment, thanks guys & gals! Will report back........