torx bolt stuck and now rounded

benjamin

• Platinum Member

Sorry if this has been asked before

Just tried to put the rugged ridge quick release mirror on and the torx bolt on my tj is stuck tight my efforts to remove it rounded the head any suggestions welcome

Easy out ! Google it, great bit of kit for that sort of thing :great:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

I'll give it a go tomorrow I've cut the paint off around the head so the wd can get in but still no joy I used the right size bit t40 . It must have some thread seal in there or something.

• Platinum Member

Just 1 more thing the other bolt that isn't rounded won't budge either is there a way to losen it up. I've tried wd someone has mentioned penitrating oil and someone else suggested heat.  I'm not going near my paint with a blow lamp! what I'm concerned about is even with the easy out tool not being able to make it budge. It looked so simple to fit aswell ..typical

• Platinum Member

I've used one its only a makita 18v impact driver but it's not moving it maybe a more powerful one will

Account_Deleted_02

Might be worth trying a manual impact driver. The original type that you whack with a hammer.

• Platinum Member

Wish I had tried that before I messed up the head on the first one. Trip to screw fix  tomorrow for easy out and manual impact driver

Thanks guys

• Platinum Member

Be very careful with an easy out out,  they prone to snap,  then you got another problem on your hands...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Drill it out, tap it and put new Torx bolt/s in

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cut a slot in it with a hack saw or a dremell multi if the space is tight

some times doing it up before undoing it helps  :great:

• Platinum Member

Well I got it out after an hour of trying bashing drilling a trip to screw fix for a tapping set that I didn't use. I think all the drilling loosened it and it came out in the end after I drilled a hole straight through the middle of it and bashed it with a punch and hammer and soaked it in wd40. so I used a little bit of all your advice ha ha . Job done. Now back to screw fix to take this tap and die set back. Thanks all for your help. Now I can go doorless and stay legal :great:

• Platinum Member

I tried a simple.... rear anti roll bar bushing replace the other week... 3 bolts, 4 sheared ... and to drill them all out and re tap them all.

• Platinum Member

Hmmmm , so that's why the door was still on, my bad  :icon_redface: sorry Ben

Doors off, way to go  :great: