2dr V 4dr JKU question

Tony Bennett

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

I am on course to buy a JKU come August but I still can't make up my mind on which model.

I know I am after an Overland but can't make my mind up on which type 2dr or 4dr.

I have driven the 2dr and found it a bit small for taking the grand-kids out for a drive. 

(I also don't like having rear passengers in a 2 door vehicle, probably because I wouldn't be one myself)

I like the 4dr, which you would think would seal the deal, so to speak, but Mrs B thinks the 4dr would be too long for the petite lady driver.

Has anyone owned both please so that they can give me a comparison between driving, maneuverability and Memsahib driving please?

• Platinum Member

I haven't owned a JK but from experience of extended test drives the JKU is much less of a fidgety ride.  The JK felt very reactive to poor road surfaces etc.  In terms of off road, each chassis has benefits and draw backs. 

Personally I would go JKU every time.  The additional space is always worth it.

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Thanks Oddbal, I am coming over to Jeep having had 5 LR's. 

As I have previously posted before, currently I have a D3. Previously 2 RR's a D1 and D2 .

I have liked the look of the Jeep since I first saw a Sahara with ALL the toys about 5 years ago on the Ridgeway .

Always been put off by the fuel return until they brought out the diesel so my purchase will be my first ever Jeep, so I got to get it right  :whip:

• Platinum Member

If you are coming from a D3 I would guess that you will find a JK quite a choppy ride.  It's no different than going from 110 to a 90.

Suggest you really dig into petrol versus diesel.  Diesel economy is pretty marginal over the petrol and the petrol is a beast.

Can't stress enough to really do your research before deciding.

• Platinum Member

Get onto a few club days and spend time talking to owners.

I have driven the 2dr and found it a bit small for taking the grand-kids out for a drive. 

Tony, how old are the grand-kids? 2dr might work for you now, but they grow up quick.

My 4dr is regularly used as team transport for my 6' tall 14 year old son and his mates, dread to think of them in the back of a 2dr.

4dr has given me more space for the dogs and for my rear storage.

Lots of 2dr owners in the US actually remove the rear seats to get the extra storage.....

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Thank you neil, the grand-kids are 8,6 and 3 going on 21!

I told the Memsahib :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member
Vuck Roger

Tony, please do yourself and your family a big favor and don't buy a 2dr.

I have a JK (2dr) and can tell you that it only works for 2 people at max! If you plan to use it for what it was built for, go with a 4 dr (JKU).

As Steve mentioned do consider petrol over diesel and the type of driving you will do.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Hugo

• Platinum Member

Hi Tony. I've not driven the 2 door but pretty much agree with what everyone else has said and Steve has it bang on about the petrol, don't rule it out. The fuel economy is not that much worse than the diesel driven sensibly you can get 22-23 to the gallon with the new V6 which isn't bad ( of course as Steve also says it's a great engine so sometimes hard to drive it sensibly ! ) Only downside to the petrol is you'll have to special order it and wait but it is worth it.

Plus points for the 2 door it has the more traditional / classic Jeep shape if you're looking for that, but the 4 door has a great look all it's own too, and yes, it is easier to park. The only bad (ish) thing about the 4 door is its maneuverability and one of the reasons my mrs isn't so keen on driving it also but it's no worse than a 110.

However....

plus points for the 4 door : it's got so much more useable space, if it's going to be your daily drive then don't get a 2 door, the 4 door is actually a practical daily vehicle  ( haha, yes I did say that ! for a jeep anyhow )

Unless it's going to be a weekend toy for modding and off roading then definitely get a 4 door, preferably petrol and maybe fit some cameras to make life easier for your other half.

Cheers   

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Thanks for the response Tim.

Camera's, I hadn't thought about that.

Are they susceptible to damage off road though or is there some special cover for that please?

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the response Tim.

Camera's, I hadn't thought about that.

Are they susceptible to damage off road though or is there some special cover for that please?

Well, I guess everything is susceptible to off road damage. Mount them high up out of the way if you're going to take it off road.

• Platinum Member

........ or have them mounted so you can take them off if needed.

• Platinum Member
Tony Bennett

Hmm, Thanks. I wasn't aware they were removable items once fitted.

I have both front and rear cam on my 4dr, not had any issues offroad....yet!

Front is mounted high on my AEV bumper above the winch opening.

Rear is mouthed low in the middle of my tow bracket, so is protected.

But the AEV rear cam mount is in the middle of the spare wheel.

Do you have pictures please Neal?

Tim,

You can just see my rear cam in my last pic of this post, if you zoom in

https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,6289.msg46969.html#msg46969

And the front cam in the second from last pic in this post, again you need to zoom in.

https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,6304.msg47092.html#msg47092