JKU Soft top assistance

fen01

• Platinum Member

Am I doing something wrong when i drop my soft top?  As you can see from the pic, this seems to be as flat as it goes when dropped.  Yet, I have Smittybilt  cover, that according to their site and many others is suitable for a 4-door JK 2007-2015.  Problem is cannot get the top any flatter to even get the boot to fit....

Any thoughts?

IMG_3330.thumb.jpg.2e8d27c9cbf316a4f1e892926fd77110.jpg

• Platinum Member

I always found that feeding the rear corners under and inside of the roll cage helped. Making sure all of the folds go inside the roof frame also helps.  It isn't a huge amount of additional effort just to take it off completely, you develop a knack.

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

• Platinum Member

Still having problems Fenton?  Happy to drop by and give you a hand if you like. Not that I know any more than you but maybe two heads better than one....... let me know.

• Platinum Member

sadly taking it off would not be an option.  Being able to drop it on a whim is ideal....  had it dropped all day even though a bit chilly going to work this morning, paid off coming home this afternoon.

I've managed to try and get it down as far as I can.  Issue I have now is the Smittybilt storage boot seems to be made all completely wrong......

• Platinum Member

Tim

Thanks for the offer. I'm not that busy tomorrow so will have a look at it again.  Having rung Smittybilt to question whether their product was the right one (instructions state suitable for 2007-2011 JKU) they told me I need to read the owners manual as there is a specific way of dropping the soft top.

Like who reads a user manual??

• Platinum Member
Volant165

Looks like the folds need to be made with better creases and tucked inside the roll bar. Just guessing.

Fenton,

It does take a bit of practice and getting the folds in the right place helps a lot.

I have found that the flatter you can make it as it comes back and down the better.

Admittedly I have the Jeep OEM softwood boot, but I do have a Bestop Supertop NX. So a bit of mix and match like yours.

• Platinum Member

Presumably the boot fits then?  The Smittybilt one is a direct copy of the OEM one (according to Smittybilt Customer Service).

What is confusing is how it's shape doesn't seem to fit...

On yours is the size for it right across the top?

Presumably the boot fits then?  The Smittybilt one is a direct copy of the OEM one (according to Smittybilt Customer Service).

What is confusing is how it's shape doesn't seem to fit...

On yours is the size for it right across the top?

It is tight, you do have to make sure it's folded right and the sides that clip under the body tub edges are really tight.

But overall yes it fits when I make the effort of folding the top right.

• Platinum Member
jeepstertim

Mine is a Bestop but it looks much neater than that down.  YouTube is your friend, lots of demonstrations on how to lower the roof correctly.

• Platinum Member

Tim

Thanks for the offer. I'm not that busy tomorrow so will have a look at it again.  Having rung Smittybilt to question whether their product was the right one (instructions state suitable for 2007-2011 JKU) they told me I need to read the owners manual as there is a specific way of dropping the soft top.

Like who reads a user manual??

No worries mate, I finish at 4 today so could easily drop down to you if you could do with an extra pair of hands, just let me know if you need any help.

Cheers

• Platinum Member

Tim,

Thanks for the offer, but problem is now sorted.... 

The issue was with the puffy security deck.  When fitted it doesn't allow the soft top to sit in that space behind the tailgate. 

As you can see, all stowed away nicely now.  Only issue is back wide open, with no way of leaving stuff in there securely.

So, does anyone know of a different type of storage boot I can use that will allow me to keep the deck lid in place??

IMG_3337.thumb.JPG.a2a1a9cab0df3ef502022afcc0154025.JPG

IMG_3336.thumb.JPG.c391b60fab5ecf5b0c4aebd42afcf482.JPG

IMG_3335.thumb.JPG.453f770ecad632b78b6113982a1ae0d1.JPG

• Platinum Member

Looking good now  :glasses:. Shame about the deck, kind of defeats the object doesn't it  :icon_e_confused:

• Platinum Member

it does....

Might need a call to Tuffy to seek their advice....