Today, well Sunday actually I have....

TimC

• Platinum Member

10:30 Sunday morning ( failed early start ) finally got round to fit the winch bumper.....

Jeep underwear... Check

Spanners & socket set ..... check

Garage radio tuned to Planet Rock...Check

total lack of experience, instructions or research....check

Jeep in and ready for surgery..

hour or so in bumper off

couple of hours in , winch plate on

winch bolted on...

Later that same day......

very pleased with the result all in all, really straightforward no major problems. Bumper is Smittybuilt Atlas, winch is Powerwinch XT12000 ( Smittybuilt H20 ). Only difficulties encountered were having to relocate the horn to the outside of the chassis member so it didn't foul the winch, and finding, after I'd fitted everything that I'd pinched the fog light harness so had to take it to bits and do it all again. Otherwise a relatively easy job and all done in a day.

Still got to wire up the HIDs, and fit the winch isolator.

Thanks to Alex ( Buzz) and Daz ( Darren H) for the link

001.thumb.JPG.e68e8bd3df8bef01d1c0170faa863e77.JPG

002.thumb.JPG.7bc9cd2b28f58002915b1c95a3e3f080.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.6ac25361f386d3aae00503cc83159d02.JPG

008.thumb.JPG.4679b3a8f7986835a2187de25b2b7149.JPG

009.thumb.JPG.1f935cbd6cf3d3cfbd33502b6be7c56f.JPG

• Platinum Member
Christian

I like those sliver plates on the bumper, looks good with the grill.

• Platinum Member

Lift kit and wheels and tyres next surely  :icon_e_biggrin:

Ha Ha  :icon_e_biggrin: yes Alex 2.5" AEV with 33s or 35s is on the list but not just yet.

I think next essential will be one of those power dome hoods. I understand that they increase the efficiency and power output of the V6 considerably and thereby contribute to a marked improvement in off road capability and are absolutely definitely NOT just to make it look cool  :icon_cool: :icon_cool:  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

you need to replace the steel cable with a rope, much safer, and a lot lighter.

• Platinum Member

you need to replace the steel cable with a rope, much safer, and a lot lighter.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys  :glasses:

general opinion seems to be to replace the steel winch cable with synthetic so that will be next on the list

Cheers

• Platinum Member

I am so glad you had a good experience with this bumper, its what I have been looking at adding soon too, really does look nice

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

If the roller fair lead has been used with steel then you should change it for a synthetic rope version which is much different. Reason being that the steel cable will have marked the rollers which will then abrade the rope.

• Platinum Member

I am so glad you had a good experience with this bumper, its what I have been looking at adding soon too, really does look nice

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Two plus points on this bumper for me Harry, first it was surprisingly easy to fit, no special tools, minimal 'adjustment' and second it keeps the factory fogs. Daz has the Smittybuilt XRC which I like the look of but I don't think has fittings for the fogs ( correct me if I'm wrong)

BTW I was just kidding about the drone....... but now you come to mention it might be cool to have one at Whitecliffe eh? :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Two plus points on this bumper for me Harry, first it was surprisingly easy to fit, no special tools, minimal 'adjustment' and second it keeps the factory fogs. Daz has the Smittybuilt XRC which I like the look of but I don't think has fittings for the fogs ( correct me if I'm wrong)

BTW I was just kidding about the drone....... but now you come to mention it might be cool to have one at Whitecliffe eh? :glasses:

I hadn't spotted that about the fog lights, definitely another plus. It's nice to have a slightly different bumper to everyone else's AEV ones, plus we can get the bumper and a decent winch for a similar price which is always a bonus!

I'll definitely bring one of them to Whitcliffe, should get something cool there!

• Platinum Member

If the roller fair lead has been used with steel then you should change it for a synthetic rope version which is much different. Reason being that the steel cable will have marked the rollers which will then abrade the rope.

Cheers Pete, the fairleads look new so will probably keep them... unless..... should I switch to a hawse if I switch to rope? might give it a go and see how it looks, one thing always seems to lead to another...... Just wired up the HID spots which now make the headlights look wrong as they're a different colour so may have to swap out/ upgrade the headlights so they match! it never ends  :icon_rolleyes: