Jeep repair help

Drew0427

• Platinum Member

I have been having an issue trying to figure out the noise in my front end seems like it is only there when I get the vehicle rolling from 20 mph an up I regressed the front differential,new rotors n pads, replaced the front left wheel bearing/hub an still have this noise

• Platinum Member

take the fromt prop off.

if theres no noise, then its the cv at one end, gearbox end usually

• Platinum Member

Front prop? Would that be taking the differential cover off or  looking at it from the outside end where the whole wheel assembly is

• Platinum Member

So if there's no noise n it's the cv on the gearbox end what do I do at that point to I replace the cv axle or just the gear that connects to it ?

• Platinum Member
kowalskiXJ

Hi Andy have you sorted your front end noise yet, if not I could come over @ the week end an have a look with you I'm only down the road in Redditch.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the offer trevor but your quite a ways away from my location in Worcester,ma

• Platinum Member
kowalskiXJ

?? Worcester ma,  that's not Worcester Massachusetts is it .

• Platinum Member

So what do I do if it's the inside part of the cv axle that's causing my noise ?

• Platinum Member

Hi Andy your problem could be the double carden joint next to your transfer case, if  if you reach inside the skid plate and move the joint around by hand it is shot. I am almost sure you can remove the front prop and still drive the vehicle, if this is the case try Proptec at Hartlebury 01299251247.

I had my 1998 front prop rebuilt by them (good price) and still able to use my Jeep while it was away for repair.

One point I did have to remove the skid plate to gain access on the transfer to prop bolts  about 1 hour all in !! Lots of information on the net how to go about it.

I may be wrong about your problem, but just give it a try.

One other point you must be able to remove all 6 bolts holding the transfer case to the frame (including 4nuts holding the case rubber mounting if they are rusted in this can be can of worms, buts that's another storey re nutcerts been there done that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck with your problem

• Platinum Member

Hay puma would the Carden joint cause a loud thump/poping noise almost every time I begin to accelerate if it was shot?

• Platinum Member

A thump when you pull away or accelerate could be caused by many things . broken exh mount knocking body , or backlash in a drive shaft from a worn uj , try to pinpoint the source.

• Platinum Member

A thump when you pull away or accelerate could be caused by many things . broken exh mount knocking body , or backlash in a drive shaft from a worn uj , try to pinpoint the source.

Hi again Andy

As Mark said  your problem could be caused by many things!!!!!!!

When I had my problem the sound was like the exhaust hitting the frame  when hitting the gas and on over run, but it turned out to be the carden joint  thrashing around !!!!

You will just have to keep looking, good luck.

• Platinum Member

I'm getting confused - .com ! LOL

Can any of you experts explain, in words of one syllable preferably!, the difference between - Universal Joint, Constant Velocity Joint and Carden Joint.

They are all different and appear in different places on the vehicle.

I've done the usual 'wikepedia' thing, but they aren't always accurate?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

I'm getting confused - .com ! LOL

Can any of you experts explain, in words of one syllable preferably!, the difference between - Universal Joint, Constant Velocity Joint and Carden Joint.

They are all different and appear in different places on the vehicle.

I've done the usual 'wikepedia' thing, but they aren't always accurate?

Let  YOU TUBE be your friend on this one and all will become clear simply type cv joint into search