Mopar replacement bumpers

fen01

• Platinum Member

So, I'm looking to replace the front and rear bumpers on my JKU.  The bumpers I'm looking at are the Rubicon 10th Anniversary.  However, I'm a little loathed to buy in from the US; quote for just the front bumper was $250 into Heathrow, and did not include any import / VAT costs.

Are these bumpers available in the UK?  Does anyone know whether they can be sourced through Jeep UK, if I have the Mopar part numbers?

Cheers

Fenton

Guest grey thunder

No chance,,I looked into this last year,take your dollar price call it uk and that's what your pay maybe a £300 less on s good day

• Platinum Member

Really?  even factoring in duty and VAT?

Out of interest, is there anyway of working out what duty you would pay on items coming in from the US?

I looked at some of the Mopar bumpers a few years ago. Think they were the MOH ones.

They were listed as 2.5K front and 3K rear by my local dealer and there was no guarantee that they could get them in anyway. I would have had to pay for the bumpers and then they would see if Jeep UK could get them. Something about only allowed to get in UK approved ones.

Your better off importing and paying the duty.

• Platinum Member

I ordered my bumpers through http://www.fortec4x4.com/FORTEC.html who sent it by sea, slower but cheaper.

That's who I've seen these Mopar Rubicon bumpers through.

When I enquired about the shipping cost just for the front, I was told $250 just to Heathrow airport.  I would then have to collect from there.

Is there a cheaper, but possibly slower way of getting items from the US?

• Platinum Member

Thanks for that.

Just looking at the front bumper costs, I think it's a little more expensive than fortec quote, but the nth shipping is less.  And presumably that would be delivered to your front door.  Not some estate and you have to collect.

• Platinum Member

Really?  even factoring in duty and VAT?

Out of interest, is there anyway of working out what duty you would pay on items coming in from the US?

Hi Fenton,

Try this link http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/ You should get a few "free go's" before you have to join.

Basically anything you import in the UK will attract:

20% VAT + import duty of 3.5% or 4% for motor parts + handling fee IF you don't pay (unknown) duty in advance - this is normally based on value of goods; but can be a fixed fee, depends on who you use as carrier.

Quadratec (who I used for my various goods - one big order) will provide carriage quotes for air & shipping freight - door to door OR door to airport/port

Door to door air is quickest and normally more expensive. Door to port via ship is slowest and normally cheapest. Sort of logical.

Remember if you send to airport or port - you will have to collect and clear consignment through customs yourself ... OR use an agent.

My choice was to air freight to Heathrow and use HWFS (an agent) to clear it through customs and do the "to door" bit in UK. I chose air because some of my consignment was fragile and I didn't want to be claiming for damaged goods after a long trip on the high seas. In hindsight HWFS could have quoted to do the whole job - but I let the US do their bit, as Quadratec were being nice to me as a "big order customer". Worked out fine that way.

Hope that helps and good luck in your quest.

• Administrators

I had a had sent via Sea a whole pallet some time back when building Dozer cheapest option long wait of 5 weeks but if your in no hurry worth it! I had wheels bumpers bonnet etc.. no damages !

Mopar can't supply certain parts to Europe due to some EU nonsense ! So only way is personal import!

• Platinum Member

I got my (missus) her 10A bumper through Fortec.  They sent it using Continental Freight who were nice and brought it to me. 

Jeep UK will not sell bumpers with the nice red recovery hooks on them ie: the 10a

• Platinum Member

Thanks all for the advice... 

I do have to say the small items I've bought so far from Quadratec and Morris Centre have all arrived with no issue.  The last items, a tuffy security deck, were shipped by Morris centre on 13/04 and arrived today 2 days ahead of schedule. Which was why is was surprised they quoted to ship to Heathrow and I collect.

Checking Quadratec's site they do indeed provide shipping costs for large items: bumpers.  So a little surprised they cannot do this for smaller items.

Long and short is I'll have to bite the bullet and import....  Or could I get the on my next trip to the US and bring them back as oversized luggage?  Flying BA I'll get 2 hold bags...  I have seen bigger items checked in before; couple had a pink Schwin cycle for their daughter boxed to go on the plane.....

• Platinum Member

I got my (missus) her 10A bumper through Fortec.  They sent it using Continental Freight who were nice and brought it to me. 

Jeep UK will not sell bumpers with the nice red recovery hooks on them ie: the 10a

couple of quick questions on this bumper:  do the standard fog lights fit it?  How do you mount the front number plate?

• Platinum Member

Yes standard fog lights work. Will try to dig up the photos but no issues with front plate either