JKU soft top

fen01

• Platinum Member

So, I've fitted the soft top today.  All was fine until I came to fit one of the side windows.  Whilst there was no issue with fitting it, there is an issue with how it sits down the door frame.

When you shut the back door, it pushes the trim out.  I've tried to 're-shape' to get it sit flush, but has done nothing.  Is this a dealer issue, or does anyone know of a quick fix?

Cheers

Fenton

So, I've fitted the soft top today.  All was fine until I came to fit one of the side windows.  Whilst there was no issue with fitting it, there is an issue with how it sits down the door frame.

When you shut the back door, it pushes the trim out.  I've tried to 're-shape' to get it sit flush, but has done nothing.  Is this a dealer issue, or does anyone know of a quick fix?

Cheers

Fenton

Fenton,

Bit cold out to get the full stretch needed in the soft top fabric perhaps  :scratch:

I tend to let the top warm up and have the blower on hot to get things warmed up at this time of year.

Then fit the rear windows down the door trip, shut the doors and then zip up.

This works to a degre on my Bestop soft top, but I still get a kink right at the top of the door frame

• Platinum Member

Hi Fenton,

Mine does similar a the top of the door frames.  I Run the heater with everything closed up for maybe a good ten minutes to get the top heated up nicely. Then I tuck the edges in nice and tight, along the door frame first, shut the door,  then I zip the zip all the way on the rear windows and last thing I do is the bottom edge that runs along the bottom of the window and the rear.

Bestop (they make the OEM tops) told me that the material is kind of like blue jeans, sometimes needs some stretching and "should" get easier once is stretches slightly.

If they don't get better say in a few weeks time pop into the dealer.  I bought mine after-market but are OEM and they were very good about servicing.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the tips. 

I was going to ask whether the tops stretch after a while. I had a right mare trying to get locked down above the windscreen with the back sections in place under the body lip, and thinking just how much of bind this is going to be dropping the top and then closing it back up. 

Do have to say I really do like it now with the soft top on and how it changes the roof line..

On a lighter note the Harken hoist I got is brilliant for removing the hard top.  Now have it suspended from the rafters in the garage roof

• Platinum Member

Hey Fenton, soon as the sun's out the soft top goes on ! :great: Don't usually fit mine till May but they always need a bit of warmth to help fitting and they do stretch so you should be fine. Wouldn't mind seeing your hoist setup sometime, see if I can get some tips.

Cheers 

• Platinum Member

Tim,

Parents were available this weekend to assist with fitting the hoist.  having my old man here was a godsend fitting the soft top, extra weight bearing down just to the the back corners under the body lip.

Have to say, it does look good on, especially as the rear panels have the same level of tint as those on the hardtop.

• Platinum Member

Have you got any pictures of it yet?

I'm holding off a little before I fit the soft top, still need to work out where to keep the hard top when that comes off

• Platinum Member

Mine sits on the garage floor for 5 months which is a real pain  :grrrrrr:. Like the idea of just leaving it suspended from the roof, just a question of securing it.

The YJ hardtop sits on a patch of garden for the summer so when it goes back on for the Winter it's full of spiders/grass/leaves and other debris, takes a couple of months to get rid of it all lol.

Its all a pain in the neck swapping the tops .... BUT just has to be done  :glasses: 

• Platinum Member

Mine sits on the garage floor for 5 months which is a real pain  :grrrrrr:. Like the idea of just leaving it suspended from the roof, just a question of securing it.

The YJ hardtop sits on a patch of garden for the summer so when it goes back on for the Winter it's full of spiders/grass/leaves and other debris, takes a couple of months to get rid of it all lol.

Its all a pain in the neck swapping the tops .... BUT just has to be done  :glasses:

Just don't have the space to leave the roof in the garden, can't have the dogs pissing on it! Also no space on the off road parking, because we have the bikes in there already.

When we move there is a double garage, so it should have a nice home next year - and space for a hoist to lift and hold it when not in use.

• Platinum Member

The soft top came as part of the package with the vehicle.  When I got it home, i thought how hard could it be to lift the hard top off. It was a pain, as I had to involve a neighbour.  Having this hoist fitted, I can lift it with just one person.  The only snag is having a single width garage, so re-fitting may be a hassle, i think there will be enough slack when lowered to 'slide' into it's final position.

Below is the fitted hoist with the hardtop hanging.  I can get it high enough for me to walk under it, without stooping (I'm about 6'1" - 6'2").  It also means I can get my other half's 500 in their as and when I need to.  I've also been able to drop it onto 4 saw horses I have.  So, if I was ever concerned about the ratchet system slipping, I can release the weight.

I'd looked around for various options, and I know there are people on here that have created their own hoist system, I plumped for a purpose built system.  Only shame is no one in the UK sells them, even tried Harken's Uk sales centre....

IMG_0005.thumb.jpg.c088425c73c7033a30e004bee53e3404.jpg

IMG_0008.thumb.jpg.135a197af597ab4e8319c0244a447025.jpg

IMG_3198.thumb.jpg.5bb1146c055082be80b86cc18b2c3291.jpg

IMG_3201.thumb.jpg.92746fda766fadacf3e4c6ba3b29c1ef.jpg

Only shame is no one in the UK sells them, even tried Harken's Uk sales centre....

Fenton,

Were they not able to get one in for you? Have had mine for a few years now and had the same issues. Spoke to Harken's UK Sales and they imported one from the US for me. Had to wait a few months for the next regular shipment, but was not an issue.

Have been using it for a few years with no hassle. The wife's 320 sits under it nicely, just have to watch no one walks into it. Tends to only happen once  :rofl:

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2013.0;attach=3283;image

• Platinum Member

They never rang me back.  So I ordered from Quadratec..  Did get some other bits and bobs at the same time.

The only thing I've struggled with is getting the knots lined so that it pulls up leave.  At the moment I've got a little lean to one side.  It's nothing major and I can live with until it annoys, the I'll look at it again.....

Now just waiting on tiffs security deck to come from the US.

The only thing I've struggled with is getting the knots lined so that it pulls up leave.  At the moment I've got a little lean to one side.  It's nothing major and I can live with until it annoys, the I'll look at it again.....

Know that feeling, mine hangs a bit front edge down.  :grrrrrr:

But have stopped trying to resolve it and just ignore it now.  :icon_rr:

• Platinum Member

Wow, looks way more complex than my Jury rig, and  yes, getting it lined up to go back on again is fun  :mdr:

Thanks for posting the pics.