Winch Isolation

TazMann

• Platinum Member

Afternoon all,

Well I have finally fitted the winch onto the bumper, just got the power to hook up now. I want to be able to isolate the winch power so that it is only live when I want it to be. The winch did come with an isolator but its big and bulky and fitting it some were will be a pain other than under the bonnet or drilling another hole into the bumper.

Is there a way that I could install a switch in the main cabin so that I have easy access to the power switch? Has anyone done this and can give me any tips?

I have a Warrior 12000lb Samurai with synthetic rope if it helps.

Thanks all.

• Platinum Member
General Confusion

You could install a solenoid into the main cable operated by a small switch to energise it. I'm not sure how long the coil would last before it burnt out though.

Or use something like this  http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-battery-chargers/richbrook-dis-carnect-battery-immobiliser 

Means you have to pent the bonnet, but I'm guessing if you are off-road you would want your winch connected for quick use, so you would only have to connect at the start of the day.

There are remote battery isolators on the market, but they aren't cheap  http://www.durite.co.uk/s/c/switches-and-indicators/remotely-switched-battery-isolators

• Platinum Member

Under the bonnet as close as possible to the battery is the place for the winch isolator (key operated?) to be fitted.

As you would have the bonnet open when winching, to protect you and your windscreen from flying shackles, this wouldn't be a problem?

• Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

The one on my TJ is under the bonnet and utilises a big red key last time I got stuck forgot about and had to be rescued by a Land Cruiser....oh how the landy guys laughed.... :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

when I bought my first winch (warn), it came with a solenoid isolator, which is operated by a switch on the dash, this is powered from a feed from the ignition.  you really need a isolator that you can reach very quickly, for safety reasons, as winches get old /used a lot, the in /out solenoids can stick, if you cannot isolate the which quickly from inside the vehicle, a sticking in / out solenoid can be a serious problem.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies all.

I'll actually look into the Warn or similar solenoid interrupters. Seems like the most reliable way of doing it now.

• Platinum Member

Albright sell a solenoid for exactly that purpose, Under MSA rules you must be able to isolate the winch from a drivers seat.

A lot of clubs now insist on that type isolation for events, its a pre-requisite for insurance.

• Platinum Member

I'm in the middle of the fence on this one but unless you live in an area known for "messers" who like to pull your winch line out and then rip off your bonnet its from one point of view....another fail point in the line of electrics. Don't forget that similar electric motors like the starter motor uses which is the same type of motor winches use don't have need of a disconnect switch either. I presume if they had that many issues with them most manufactures would recommend them or sell them included with the winch, yes?

• Platinum Member
neildhunter

Albright sell a solenoid for exactly that purpose, Under MSA rules you must be able to isolate the winch from a drivers seat.

A lot of clubs now insist on that type isolation for events, its a pre-requisite for insurance.

Got any links or references? I need to rewire my winch in the near future and want to include an isolator...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Ah I see now, not so much a "need" for purposes but a requirement or regulation for certain events where you would use one?

I can see that logic, I found this one which will work which can fit under the bonnet but I was going to incorporate the power with the pod switch by the dash so I presume that would eliminate the need for this one?

1804868886__1.thumb.JPG.0d0a253984e0e738305b9be6b34607ce.JPG

• Platinum Member

It doesnt hurt to fit a mechanical isolation switch external, dont hide it under the bonnet, I have seen one vehicle winch itself into another when the solenoids stuck and the isolation switch was under the bonnet, couldnt get to it because the two vehicles were in the way of the bonnet catch.  :icon_e_wink:

• Platinum Member

I used a spare winch solenoid as a remote isolator. This was operated by a switch in the cabin, but this was also ignition fed, so it would kill the winch automatically if you turned the ignition off.

• Platinum Member

Spoke to Challenger 4x4 this morning. They also use that kit on 24v systems and have said the Solenoid can take over 700amps. Needless to say I have ordered one as i dont need anywhere near that  :icon_e_biggrin:

Hopefully get it all fitted and the winch working this weekend now.