legal fender size ?

tim newton

• Platinum Member

totally have no clue how to use this so my question was on the first line . sorry im tech shit

totally have no clue how to use this so my question was on the first line . sorry im tech shit

Tim, post a pic of your TJ so we can see fender and wheel combo

• Platinum Member

sorry i have no clue how . ive got stock fenders with 35x12.50 bfgs on 15x10 pro comp alloys . (not sure of the backspace but theres allot . i really hate flares but if its the law here id like somthing that would just be legal . in florida if your fenders are too wide we call them shopping carts :) ill see if the wife can help me later

• Platinum Member

As far as the MoT inspection is concerned, there is no issue. As far as traffic police are concerned, rule of thumb, if you can see the tread of the tyre from directly above, you could have an issue. Most of the time they're not interested though.

• Platinum Member

Not different rules in different parts of the country.  It is illegal.  Just depends on the Police officer that stops you and the circumstances that they stopped you.  Also bear in mind your insurance company rules in regard to your wheel arches.

• Platinum Member

As far as the MoT inspection is concerned, there is no issue. As far as traffic police are concerned, rule of thumb, if you can see the tread of the tyre from directly above, you could have an issue. Most of the time they're not interested though.

As Mike said,

This is also what my mot test station told me,

Ive got 6 inch extended  pocket flares on my TJ  and my 33x12.50in tyres do stick out about an inch past the flares,

Up to now I've had no issue's with the police but i guess if your still running with standard flares then they are going to stick out alot,

which will be more noticeable and attract more attention.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

My understanding is the tread (rather than the sidewall) mustn't be visible when you look vertically down the edge of the fender flare. So seeing the tyre wall is fine, seeing tread is not. I think there is something in the Construction and Use regulations about it - I'll see if I can find it.

Steve.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

OK, I think this is the relevant section of the construction and use regulations. Doesn't specify how you measure it though:

"...every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be equipped with wings or other similar fittings to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of its wheels or tracks"

Steve.