Salisbury Plains Sunday 10th April 2016 - EVENT FULL

stewart

• Platinum Member

oh well made the reserve list lol looks like ive booked two sundays off work now to go to Salisbury . Now what to do on these two sundays off work looks like the motorbike wins then . 

sent a £10 donation anyway ,

for those going have a great time and add photo's  :great: :icon_e_biggrin:

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stewart

• fen01

• Yellow

• Jules

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

oh well made the reserve list lol looks like ive booked two sundays off work now to go to Salisbury . Now what to do on these two sundays off work looks like the motorbike wins then . 

sent a £10 donation anyway ,

for those going have a great time and add photo's  :great: :icon_e_biggrin:

We are adding 1 place to each group!

• Platinum Member

wicked ,thanks stewart .  i'll get my cb up and running then  :icon_bounce:

• Platinum Member

One question; am I going to have to remove the splash guards off my JK for this run?  Will they cause any damage leaving them on?

One question; am I going to have to remove the splash guards off my JK for this run?  Will they cause any damage leaving them on?

Fenton,

That may depend on the route and the state of the plains.

I have done this run with the club a couple of times last year (can't make it this year  :grrrrrr:) and my AEV rear splash guards have been fine.

But I don't have front ones and the AEV rear ones are designed to fold up far more than the stock ones.

Choice is yours really,  :scratch: but better to take them off than rip them off.......

• Platinum Member

No.  I have given mine a proper beating and they are still there.  The entire arch will flex and rattle a little along with the guards but nothing that will damage.

I imagine getting axle deep in Plain mud would probably kill them.  All of my runs onto the Plain have essentially been equivalent to muddy Green Lanes. 

I haven't taken the JKUR yet - I was almost first on the paid up list for this trip but elected to not go as I have a load of work to do on the rig before the Lakes / Wales trips and need the weekends.

These pics are from my Disco days:

066f95e49e93e9395bef7d71f70c2a6b.jpg

You will need to get busy with the jet washer when home, you will get mud into EVERY part of the chassis / engine bay.

7ac7cbb85c8facca63eb473340c3ea9c.jpg

Bumping into the Army playing with their toys is great fun - you need to be on your toes, we would always run out with guys who work closely with the wardens but its no guarantee that you won't inadvertently wander into some unplanned action! Noting like seeing an armed MP seemingly appear from nowhere halting your group and politely asking you to turn the **** around and get gone sharpish (take some clean pants) [emoji3]

To all those who haven't done the Plains before, you will love it.  Have fun!

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice, Steve.  Better safe than sorry, might remove them; I've seen some of the ruts left across the plains.

I know what you mean about 'bumping' into Army playing...  Used to use the top part as a cut through from M4 to the 303, and some near misses even on the paved roads.

• Administrators

Hi Fenton,

I haven't had any issues with the splash guards in the past at Salisbury but having said that it's better to remove them incase we encounter any deep potholes in the byway. As the army use the area they often cross byways in tanks and can sometimes create unexpected ruts under the puddles that we can't see!

• Platinum Member

Those who are attending I kindly ask that you have a CB radio?

This will be of great benefit when out on the Plains. Mobile phones do not always work.

Both Stewart and I will be using them to keep in contact with group members throughout the event, and you may need to contact the respective group leader as the event unfolds.

Hey Jules, where does the kindly requested CB radio lie on a scale of "would be handy but entirely optional" thru "recommended / very useful but not obligatory" to " essential, if you don't have one you'll screw it up for everyone and piss everybody off" ?  :icon_study: :rules: :icon_question:

Also, as CB radio is one of the (very) many things I know little or nothing about, will this involve me attaching a large bendy bit of wire to the outside of my truck and learning all the lyrics to CW Mcall's Convoy ?  :mdr: :icon_lol: Will check out ebay and the CB advice thread in any case , looking forward to next weekend .

PS thanks Fenton for keeping me posted and paying donation  :great: 

• Platinum Member

Tim,

thanks for asking this question.....

I'm contemplating getting one, and am looking at a handheld device only.  Would rather not install something in the vehicle.

BTW, how was the skiing trip?

• Platinum Member

Yeah, was thinking handheld as well. This has the added bonus of being able to easily transfer between Jeeps if necessary. Handhelds seem to be more expensive though. will probably take a run up to Northampton ( Thunderpole seem highly recommended) and get some advice.

No injuries on the Skiing so all good  :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Probably more a recommended than essential. You will feel more engaged with the group if you can communicate with them. But when groups are small it's manageable without them.

Couple of examples

You get to a gate was it closed or open?

Warning when other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, animals approaching

Advice on terrain.

When tracks cross main roads and the group gets split. Was it the 1st or 2nd right after the bend

Warning others in the group of any problems.  Couple of examples

Warning the vehicle behind to keep its distance because you have a rock stuck in your tyre that could flick out and  break there windscreen.

Warning the vehicle in front that you have no brakes

Warning another member that they might have a problem with there Jeep

You will find as you do more of these you will find a radio becomes an extremely useful  item to have

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Tim,

thanks for asking this question.....

I'm contemplating getting one, and am looking at a handheld device only.  Would rather not install something in the vehicle.

BTW, how was the skiing trip?

Taking up on recommendations to have a CB for the plains on Sunday .. After much research , a hand held is the way to go for my needs . So took advantage of the JOC discount at Thunderpole and went with the Midland 42.

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/handheld-cbs/midland-42.html

My research also concluded that without an external antenna  then using any hand held inside the truck will be very limited and next to useless. So went with the following mag mount areal kit which I will located on the bonnet for the day .

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/antenna-magnet-kits/thunderpole-apollo-2-cl-mag-kit.html

10-10  :icon_bounce:

GaryD

• Administrators

That's not really a donation then is it Jules! I remember when a members word was enough and the donations would naturally follow. This is ticketing plain and simple and I believe there are a very different set of rules as far as the IR are concernred when a club starts selling tickets to events.

Jeep Owners Club have overheads to Pay such as Insurance which is very expensive!  Unfortunately there have now had several no shows to events one in particular was one of the Cotswold runs organised by John.  So we are moving away from  "members word " as clearly in some instances it doesn't work out! The word Donation has nothing to do with tax implications it is simply a contribution towards the trip as we still have to have PLI cover! In future it will be ticket based to make things simpler for everyone.  Most companies that run these trips by charge anything from £50 -£100 per Vehicle!

• Platinum Member

Taking up on recommendations to have a CB for the plains on Sunday .. After much research , a hand held is the way to go for my needs . So took advantage of the JOC discount at Thunderpole and went with the Midland 42.

My research also concluded that without an external antenna  then using any hand held inside the truck will be very limited and next to useless. So went with the following mag mount areal kit which I will located on the bonnet for the day .

http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/antenna-magnet-kits/thunderpole-apollo-2-cl-mag-kit.html

GaryD

Sounds good. How do you get the JOC discount?

• Platinum Member

I gave them a call and talked through what I wanted. When it came to making the order just asked about the discount and they added it on for me.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Tim . If your ordering on line with Thunderpole , then the discount code provided on this forum "members discount " section worked for me yesterday upon checkout . The prices on the Thunderpole site seem to be competitive already , so this additional discount is a bit of a bonus .  Happy shopping  :icon_e_smile: Gary

• Platinum Member

GaryD

Gary,

Thanks for the tip on the antenna.  I presume it can be connected to a hand held device?

I'll be calling into Thunderpole Tuesday, lets hope they have stock left....

• Administrators

Gary,

Thanks for the tip on the antenna.  I presume it can be connected to a hand held device?

I'll be calling into Thunderpole Tuesday, lets hope they have stock left....

Yes if it's the Midland Unit it comes with an adapter with 12v Plug and connector for antenna !

Probably more a recommended than essential. You will feel more engaged with the group if you can communicate with them. But when groups are small it's manageable without them.

Couple of examples

You get to a gate was it closed or open?

Warning when other vehicles, pedestrians, cyclists, animals approaching

Advice on terrain.

When tracks cross main roads and the group gets split. Was it the 1st or 2nd right after the bend

Warning others in the group of any problems.  Couple of examples

Warning the vehicle behind to keep its distance because you have a rock stuck in your tyre that could flick out and  break there windscreen.

Warning the vehicle in front that you have no brakes

Warning another member that they might have a problem with there Jeep

You will find as you do more of these you will find a radio becomes an extremely useful  item to have

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Well said Paul. :great:  The advantages of a CB far out way the disadvantages when off roading. Probably

why so many of us have then.

Don't forget to learn the "convoy" lyrics TimC for the weekend so you benefit fully from CB ownership!

Looking forward to hearing your rendition, as I am sure we all are when you "key" the mic for the first time.

Stewart and I will assist those of you "new" to CB ownership who may be unsure before we set off on the Sunday, so don't worry.

• Platinum Member

Stewart and I will assist those of you "new" to CB ownership who may be unsure before we set off on the Sunday, so don't worry.

So glad you said this, mine should be arriving tomorrow, so will only have a day or two of it being fitted before the weekend.

• Platinum Member

Well said Paul. :great:  The advantages of a CB far out way the disadvantages when off roading. Probably

why so many of us have then.

Don't forget to learn the "convoy" lyrics TimC for the weekend so you benefit fully from CB ownership!

Looking forward to hearing your rendition, as I am sure we all are when you "key" the mic for the first time.

Will certainly need the assistance  :great:

and don't worry, Convoy lyrics already googled, looking forward to a hearty singalong......... fer shure fer shure good buddy keep the bugs off your glass and the bears off your ass 10-4  :glasses: