Warrior Winch

TazMann

• Platinum Member

Morning All,

I am looking to purchase a Winch for the car. going to now be fitted on a full winch bumper, rather than a hidden plate, need the clearance for the tyres. Looking at around the £550 mark maximum at present.

I have been looking around and have seen the Warrior Samurai 12000lbs Synthetic Rope winch. Has any one used one or got one? The only other winch I can find for a similar price is the Superwinch Tigershark 11.5 SR.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

Consider how much the winch will be submersed since not all winches are fully waterproof. In fact even David Bowyer's Goodwinch isn't until you follow his instructions and disassemble and seal various components. On the subject of Goodwinch - you can get some good deals if you pick them up off David at one of the 4x4 shows he attends.

Decide if you need a 12000lb winch. They can be the same winch as a 9500lb model, but just with lower gearing making them slower to operate. I use a 9500lb winch and carry snatch blocks and am often winching dead vehicles which are heavily bogged down holes.

I've used 9mm Dyneema, but once it wears it can snap easily. After re-splicing it twice I now use 11mm Dyneema. You can get a cheapo version people call "Chineema", but I understand it isn't as strong. Obviously make sure you have enough clearance on the drum for your preferred diameter of rope, especially considering any bolt heads that might protrude into the area the rope spools into (I initially upgraded to 12mm but found I didn't have clearance around the drum for it). Also consider that on most recoveries you won't be able to get to a position that is exactly facing the vehicle being recovered so the rope will start to spool up more to one end of the winch. So if you don't have much clearance you won't have much tolerance for the rope spooling on asymmetrically.

Personally I prefer a winch mounted in the open on a winch bumper rather than hidden. If it is hidden it is difficult to check the rope is spooling on correctly and very difficult to clear when the rope gets bound up, especially if you have steel rope, plus you need to be able to clean out mud and clay from it. So I think the winch bumper you are considering is the best option.

Steve.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the responses.

I think I am going to go for the Warrior Samurai 12000lb winch. The clincher for me was the fact that it actually comes with 11mm Armortek rope. The 95000lb samurai only comes with 9.5mm and like you said Steve, the 11mm will be a little more abrasion resistant.

I don't think the winch will spend too much time underwater. No snorkel fitted and its a petrol, so not planning on going anywhere near the deep stuff  :icon_rolleyes:  Also it is going now on a full winch bumper. The tyre clearance has made me see the sense of that  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

Morning All,

I am looking to purchase a Winch for the car. going to now be fitted on a full winch bumper, rather than a hidden plate, need the clearance for the tyres. Looking at around the £550 mark maximum at present.

I have been looking around and have seen the Warrior Samurai 12000lbs Synthetic Rope winch. Has any one used one or got one? The only other winch I can find for a similar price is the Superwinch Tigershark 11.5 SR.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I picked up a Tigershark synthetic 9500 for £390 last week, I can ask if they carry the 12000

• Platinum Member

Again thanks for the replies.

Benek is there an isolator switch included with the Dragon winch? I must admit, for that price the additional for the synthetic rope its a good buy  :icon_e_biggrin:

IrishMick for some reason, dont ask me why i discounted superwinch early on  :scratch: not sure why though. Just one of those things Thanks for the offer though  :great:

EDIT.

Just looked at it a little more. The additional synthetic rope and the Alu fairlead end up costing a lot more than the Warrior. Think I am still going with the Warrior Winch 12000lb this winch comes with the Isolator included as well. I have watched a few videos now and all seems to be good with them.

• Platinum Member

Again thanks for the replies.

Benek is there an isolator switch included with the Dragon winch? I must admit, for that price the additional for the synthetic rope its a good buy  :icon_e_biggrin:

IrishMick for some reason, dont ask me why i discounted superwinch early on  :scratch: not sure why though. Just one of those things Thanks for the offer though  :great:

EDIT.

Just looked at it a little more. The additional synthetic rope and the Alu fairlead end up costing a lot more than the Warrior. Think I am still going with the Warrior Winch 12000lb this winch comes with the Isolator included as well. I have watched a few videos now and all seems to be good with them.

Good price on the Maverick though :)