Importing my Wrangler Sahara from the USA

George54

• Platinum Member

Hi all.  :wav1

I am in America for two years touring in a motorhome and flat towing my Wrangler Sahara. I bought both the motorhome and Jeep in the US and though I am happy with information given about bringing the motorhome to the UK and getting it approved for UK registration, i have found no information on getting the Jeep approved. I wonder if any members have experience in private importation of a Jeep Wrangler and getting it approved and registered in the UK. I have not made any modifications to it, apart from the fitting of the Blue Ox flat towing kit.  :wav2

IMG_5283.thumb.JPG.4dd3f44188c72a39e095f06c8dfe7be6.JPG

• Platinum Member

Thanks Mike. I am quite happy with the procedure, I was wondering if there were any issues other than the lighting that anyone had experienced. It has been suggested the open space between the front bumper and mudguards on the american version might be a problem, as the European model has no gap! 

• Platinum Member

You might have to borrow a Euro front bumper for the day, and a pair of the sticking out Euro wing repeaters (So they're visible from behind) You'll need RHD headlamp units with sidelights in, Euro tail lamps with orange indicators, a spot of rewiring to separate the rear indicators from the brake lights, and a rear fog light.

• Platinum Member

Hi George,

I have imported my JK to the UK, after living in the USA for a bit over 2 years. The previous posts are correct, I borrowed the Euro bumpers from Neal to pass the VOSA inspection -this is mandatory when you import a car from the USA and is a sort of super-MOT. I am guessing you will have no problems with a standard JK, I had a 2.5' lift kit installed, a long with other mods.

Depending the port you are considering shipping from, I can provide some suggestions or share with you the details of the process I followed. I did choose to have a private UK company taking care of all the paperwork + transport and literally they picked up the JK from my driveway in the US and delivered it to me at my doorstep in the UK!

If you want more info send me a PM.

Best of luck!

Hugo

I borrowed the Euro bumpers from Neal to pass the VOSA inspection

And I still have them. The company Hugo used collected my UK bumpers and returned them after the inspection.

You can borrow them if you need to further down the line.

• Platinum Member

Thanks a lot fellas, that's all very useful and just what I needed. I'll be in touch when I decide it's time to come home!!

IMG_4404.thumb.JPG.6c0b12179a62194239a2f37d277b9c89.JPG

• Platinum Member

Interesting. My JKR was also an import. Rear fog and reversing lights were the only mod. Stock bumpers. No problem.

Patrick

• Platinum Member

I imported a 10A JKUR. No probs with bumpers. Used the folks that have organised the VOSA the inbound jeeps for the like of the Lakenheath U.S. A. F. for many years.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Shame you got change the lights. US lights look so cool!

Worth changing the headlights though !

I thought the UK h4,s were a bit dim but after driving the US version I can say from experience the US headlights are worse than the h4's

• 1 month later...

Like your picture of your van and Jeep. No problem with flat towing in UK, but that arrangement is illegal in much of Europe, although UK registered combos can still get away with it in France and Spain. Having LHD, non-British vehicles may lead to questions, though, so you might want to get more info before touring there. Caravan & Camping Club might help.

• Platinum Member

When I imported my TJ only the headlights were changed and taillights modified. Since the Jeep is heavily modified I put a set of skinny tires on for the inspection but that was it. I used a company near the USAF base outside Mildenhall that do this all the time. Not a problem with bumpers or anything else.

The only fault I had on the inspection was the front sway bar was removed. I had to put it back so they could inspect the bushings.

Using a local company for the inspections and paperwork made life much easier and they gave me a lot of advice ahead of time.

Babergh-20120401-00126.thumb.jpg.1adae29c1be7f0900b15a4f9f5f2eee9.jpg