Buying guide , Grand Cherokee V8

Badger1966

• Platinum Member

Hello all,

Well finally getting around to buying a Jeep, it's been a while but I now have the chance to purchase. I am looking at a WJ,Overland V8 2004 on Saturday. I have looked, maybe badly, for any buying advise. Was hoping some kind person could give me a list of things to check or look out for?

Many thanks.

• Platinum Member

Helloooo,

Well I am off to see this Jeep tomorrow at 2pm. Has no one got any info on things to look our for?

• Platinum Member

Hi Gary,

Quite a few things to look out for on these as most 4wd's.

Check for leaks underneath on front and rear diffs, transfer case and auto box.

Check engine for any noises, lifters tapping or some high mileage engines can have problems with timing chain guides noisy.

Lift the tailgate and bonnet up, struts are common to failing, check that both stay up ok

When road testing check for any humming/groaning noises, wheel bearings or diff bearings.

Sticking callipers are common so check brakes for no judder (disc warp) or pulling to either side. Hot wheels are a good indicator for sticking callipers.

Check that the auto box gear shifting is smooth between gear changes.

check for any clunks, knocks on road test too.

Test the heaters and check that cold and warm air are coming out when it should be, blend doors fail on these and can cause the heaters to misbehave.

Check that the rear wiper motor works ok.

Check that it starts fine and idles fine and is not erratic on tick over.

Check that the parking brake works fine.

Check that the heated seats work.

Have in a look in the oil filler housing and check it's not all milky in there.

A lot of these are common on WJ's but all can be fixed and some things may have been done already.

How many miles has it done, service history?

If i think of anything else and post it.

Good Luck,

Daz

• Platinum Member

Sometimes you just have to fork out for a full inspection and report by the AA or similar. They'll give it a good going over!

If you do decide to purchase get as long a warranty as possible.

• Platinum Member

Wow, awesome. Thanks guys. Its a 2004 overland V8. 59000 miles! Private sale. Owned for last 10 years. MOT checks out online. All work done. The only issue is sometimes erratic idle which he puts down to throttle position sensor and he is supplying a replacement with the car. He has all supporting service history for work done. The whole car looks very good indeed, well in the pictures any way. I think all the things mentioned are things I would have checked. But its nice to have a list so I can make sure I don't miss anything. it can be easy to forget something in the heat of the moment. Cheers Daz and Jerry! Wish me luck! Having said that it can't be worse than my Lexus IS220d, no matter how bad it is LOL. I will let you know how I get on tomorrow and maybe even post a pic or two!

• Platinum Member

Well I got it, and it's great! Looks really good, but interior is a bit dated although to be expected for a 12 year old car. Engine is super smooth and oh so quiet. The underneath of it is sooooo clean, hardly anything to mention at all. I am very pleased indeed  :icon_e_biggrin:

Jeep_1.thumb.JPG.3539361f3cc3bdfb4e500426ea4feebb.JPG

Jeep_2.thumb.JPG.bb9709d763e4f9486c1122c6bfb0b17c.JPG

jeep_3.thumb.JPG.30f662f7fc57b76913f54388a06fc01f.JPG

jeep_4.thumb.JPG.369d855d731c264b7e3be343cc5c4995.JPG

• Platinum Member

I wish i had seen this guide before i bought mine! New heater core and complete new brakes at the back. 2k later oooooooo!

• Platinum Member

OMG Nathan1212, thats grim! I can't believe that cost so much.  :icon_e_surprised: