4x4 Safari - South Africa

TazMann

• Platinum Member

Hi all,

The wife and I have always wanted to go to Africa to see the Big 5. We did book a holiday to Kenya a few years ago, but we would have needed Yellow Fever vaccination and due to some medication the wife is on she couldn't have it.

We are now looking at the possibility of going to South Africa on a 4x4 Safari. Has anyone on here done anything similar? Just looking for recommendations for outfits that hire out the vehicles and can provide a guide should we need one.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Si

• Platinum Member

How long are you planning to go for? I know of a really great company running some self drive trips and guided too, sadly not driving Jeeps, but Land Rovers or Toyotas.

Personally I'd say Botswana is a better bet, much larger National Parks - its not all carved up into smaller private reserves (apart from Kruger, but that is all tarmac roads). If you really want to do some of south africa (I know its fairly easy to fly to) I'd say you should look around the Mapungubwe National Park area - UNESCO world heritage site, and on the border of SA, Bots and Zim - with fantastic views of the Limpopo River, incredible whether it is the wet or dry season. You can easily do a trip from there up into the Tuli block in Botswana and go from lodge to lodge there, from 5star accomodation to nice tented areas, you could almost do it on your own, but sure there are guides that could plan a trip for you. If that's something you're interested in I can ask around see who could guide for you if you want?

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

Hi,

We've done South Africa, Lesotho and Namibia. Love the area. I've also been to South Africa a lot on business.

We rented a 78-series Land Cruiser with a pop-up roof you can sleep in, and on a previous trip a Nissan with a pod on the back.

I have a trip report I can post a link to - not sure if I'm allowed to do that here since it is another forum (a US one) and there might be rules against that.

I have details of the rental company I used in Johannesburg and an agency in Cape Town that deals with a lot of rental companies if you are interested.

Steve.

• Platinum Member

Simon, It should be a great experience.

I haven't had the good fortune to be able to a Safari, but I did spend a week in CapeTown driving a brand new Wrangler JK Rubicon around. Never got to test it to its true ability, but nonetheless was great fun  :great:

• Platinum Member
sabconsulting

I've used this agency before - they were very helpful and nice people. I have some names I can give you:

http://www.drivesouthafrica.co.za/4x4-hire/

In fact, I just remembered they did a little write-up of our trip too:

http://www.drivesouthafrica.co.za/blog/steve-and-sally-blackman-4x4-trotting-through-south-africa/

Although Drive South Africa were the agents - I knew them through contacts and met them a couple of times in their Cape Town office before our trip, the actual vehicle was supplied by Bushlore in Johannesburg - they were also great and I was very pleased with the vehicle:

http://www.bushlore.com/

I've also hired a vehicle off Kea Campers In Namibia some years ago:

http://www.rent-a-car-namibia.com/kea_nr.html

This was a Nissan unit labelled as a "Trax", but I believe in Kea's classifications it is known as an STX.

Regards,

Steve.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for all the Info guys. I can see I am going to have a busy weekend looking through it all.

I just think it would be nicer to see the Wildlife in the parks from your own car, rather than having to go where the guides say.

Certainly thinking of doing this soon  :icon_e_biggrin: