New to Jeeps, XJ cherokee 4.0 '98

roadkill443

• Platinum Member
roadkill443

Hi,

Ended up having this off my mate as it was sitting on his drive unused and he's planning on going travelling. Few bits done recently and new MOT. Bonus also has LPG.

IMG_0321%20copy_zps01mbvejg.jpg

IMG_0415%20copy_zpsp9seoiyp.jpg

Had a few hiccups during second week of ownership with it randomly cutting out when up to temp, it was an electrical issue and a bit of research pointed to CPS or possibly but hopefully not PCM. Pretty handy with the spanners and stubborn enough to do my own work even in crap conditions.

Fitted the new CPS friday and an extra spotlight i had kicking around. Then sunday morning re-did the bodged wiring to the throttle and air sensors from the previous LPG install. Runs spot on now (150 miles done since), and the change over to gas is A LOT smoother now. Also replaced the spotlight relay as it had a crappy earth and was a bit temperamental.

Leicestershire based but plan to travel around a bit in it.

It has sagging rear springs but will be getting a complete lift kit with new rears in the near future.

• Platinum Member

What a great colour. I have the same and while it no longer sparkles in the sun as it once did. It's still one of my favourite colours for an XJ

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
roadkill443

Well still going strong since the fix  :great:

Managed to go get it a little muddy today on some nearby lanes, it was a slow countryside trundle but quiet and fun.

IMG_1315_zpsezck6pbz.jpg

Even the mrs had a go driving the lanes and enjoyed it. I agree with ^, it is my favourite colour of the XJ's.

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member
roadkill443

[pre]

Done a fair bit of work to this lately, rear is all new heavy duty springs, 3" spacers at the front, tow bar. Looks a lot more like a 4x4 now (before it looked more like a square forester)

IMG_0746_zpsacjvev0u.jpg

I have some shackles for the rear but need to replace the springs at the front, I also want to change the shocks. I now have a huge list of little things i want/need to do. Hopefully some decent weather will help me put a dent in it.

[/pre]

• Platinum Member
roadkill443

Quick trip out round local lanes last couple of days. Remounted the exhaust hanger after leaving it off after the tow bar installation. still need to fit my upgraded trans cooler i have sitting around but weathers a bit rough and i'm a driveway mechanic :(

IMG_0786%20copy_zpsimxk6re9.jpg

• Platinum Member

Looks good, cows seem friendly!

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
  • Platinum Member
roadkill443

26-250716214551-65_zpsdhqz6ltw.jpg

Well legal for another year, been kind of neglected and unused for the past 6 months.

Only thing it really needs is a new exhaust, but i've yet to decide if i'll be building or buying one. Kids were excited to see it running again. Even insisted on coming to the MOT station.

• Platinum Member

Always good to see another deep amethyst 4.0 XJ enjoying good ownership!

• Platinum Member
davidsmith1307

I still can't work out how the XJ is such a good looking car! But it is!

• Platinum Member
jeepmynach

It looks right and somehow timeless - it would still be fine if introduced now.

• Platinum Member
davidsmith1307

You'd just need to make it Euro6  :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_biggrin: