Real scary

Surfer

• Platinum Member

Yesterday we were on our way to lunch diring down an A road thank goodness when the 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD lost power.  I was travelling through a village and had the cruise control set to just over 30mph when suddenly without warning the vehicle started slowing down. I noticed that the Throttle control error light was lit. This was then followed up an error message teling me that the electric brakes needed servicing and at the same time all the instrument lights came on and the engine died.  Luckily I was able to pull over as the steering now longer had power. 

The Jeep would not start so got onto the breakdown service and arranged for the vehicle to be collected.  After about 10 - 15 minutes of waiting I decided to try the the engine again and it started and seem to be running smoothly and okay.  Initially all the lights went out, but after about 30 seconds the Engine management light came on and remained on.  I did notice that when starting it again the throttle control error light would remain on for a couple of seconds before going off.  I then turned the key, but not to start the vehicle all the lights on the instrument panel went off except the the throttle control error light and the engine mangement light.  The moment I turned far enough to start the engine, they both switched off with only the engine management light coming on

Can any one suggest what is possibly wrong with the vehicle as it has regular servicing and is well maintained?  We live near Worcester and no Jeep dealers nearby and we would never take any vehicle to Arnold Clark which is the nearest Jeep dealer to us.  Is it a job that can be done by a local garage or is it preferable to use a garge that has some Jeep knowledge like Westbury in Shrewsbury.  If we need to take it to Shrewsbury not sure if I can drive there safely with engine management light on as it will probably cost an arm and a leg to put it on a flatbed.

Our concern is if this had happened while in the fast lane on the motorway, we would not have been able to pull over as effectively it is like putting on the brakes without brake lights coming on and could have caused a major accident.  Surely this should be a safety recall?

• Platinum Member
mad mechanic

It needs looking at by someone who has the proper tools to read the codes and interpret them accordingly, there have been several recalls out for this vehicle if you do a little research there may be some outstanding for it.

• Platinum Member

Not quite sure why you feel it should be a safety recall when you do not know the cause of the failure.  Vehicles do breakdown regardless of how well they are maintained, ECU for example.  Just one of those annoying  things in life.  I do fully appreciate that it was frightening, (been there, done that on A1 third lane then burst into flames), just please don't assume it is a safety recall matter. :wav1

• Platinum Member

Not quite sure why you feel it should be a safety recall when you do not know the cause of the failure.  Vehicles do breakdown regardless of how well they are maintained, ECU for example.  Just one of those annoying  things in life.  I do fully appreciate that it was frightening, (been there, done that on A1 third lane then burst into flames), just please don't assume it is a safety recall matter. :wav1

The problem was the crankshaft sensor.  However I did not appreciate the vehicle cutting out altogether losing the power steering as if I had switched off the engine.  If this had happened on the M5 the consequences could have been tragic as the vehicle did not even go into limp mode.