help daytime running leds

woody-Jeep

• Platinum Member

Hi i have brought some new led headlights with a daytime led haĺo which has a seperate module, can anybody help and let me know where to splice this into so it switches on in the day then off when you turn the lights on , its on a wrangler tj and im sure some off you would of done something simlar......

Thanks

Hi Paul,

What inputs does the "module" have?

You will need an ignition live to turn the daytime halo on and some sort of feed from the headlights to turn the halo off when the headlights are on.

But the inputs on the module should give more of an idea.

• Platinum Member

Hi Woody, have you got a pic of the wiring for the module? I took all my wiring back into the cab on the instrument plugs, but its prob not best for you. My module dims if the lights are on so i connected to the side light. It also has a permanent + & - because the DRL stays on for 30 secs when you take the key out. so It depends if you want them to be on or off with the sidelight or is the halo going to be replacing the sidelight? I think the pic below is for your year (98?) but its different wire colours on mine. You should find a Black/Yellow feed to the side light. If you need the full manual i can give you a link but it will be the first hit in google if you search for tj service manual pdf.

Screenshot_2016-02-27_21_58_40.png.3c89f4b10fecb6f22960bee72a2462f8.png

• Platinum Member

Hi all managed to find the diagram below for the lights, looks like the halo flashes amber when the indicators are in use and no lights switched on.  Wanted to get them fitted today but not going to get the chance will have to add it too the list of jobs, will get there one day.  :rules:

Screenshot_2016-02-28-12-39-34.thumb.png.8578c3ed841fa00162b0cf212b72f0c9.png

• Platinum Member

From that pic the halo's are CCFL (cold cathode fluorescent) not sure if they can change to amber. The extra headlight wire at the feed will either connect to the side light to bring the halo on or to the headlight to disable it if the headlight is on. Looks like the halo replaces the sidelight if there aren't any connections for the side lights though. I've not got the replacement LED headlights my DRL is a seperate strip it has wires for the indicators to kill the drl if indicating. It dims the drl if the sidelights are on. Would be good to see them working been looking at them myself but they are expensive,  Are they E marked for the UK?

• Platinum Member

Hi sparky

cheers for that will see if they change or not next week once fitted, going to try and do them midweek if not saturday.

More than willing to meet up if you want a look at them your only in Runcorn so not to far from myself sure we could work something out. .....

let you know when fitted and yes DOT SAE E stamped

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

All fitted at last chuffed with them seem a lot brighter in the daytime so going to give them a runout tonight to see how much better they are than the stock TJ lights.

Ran the daytime running lights through a switch so I can operate as wanted and these do change to amber and flash with the indicator circuit.

IMG_20160325_180746.thumb.jpg.817434ae08093b6d907a2aa83e331b86.jpg

IMG_20160325_180721.thumb.jpg.98bd3fc9c5935faeec762242080bd9b4.jpg

IMG_20160325_180814.thumb.jpg.d339b3c39b39902c02291c434d3a3183.jpg

IMG_20160325_180943.thumb.jpg.931433ff6eec24d4f85aec7c487d1b1d.jpg

IMG_20160325_180604.thumb.jpg.f55b72e6c1a3263ec6aa309a68a5da13.jpg

• Platinum Member

WOW...well done with the install Paul. They look the dogs danglies. I'll have to look into getting a pair but have a few thinks on the list first. Would be interested to know how much they were and where you got them from. Like the orange too. Will be interesting to see what they say at the MOT so make sure you keep any paper work just in case.