TazMann

Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

Thanks Tim. Its a work in progress, but liking the look of it all now. Not sure it will ever be finished though, its a Jeep all said and done 🤣😂

TazMann

Oh and in case you are wondering why there are bolts missing from the Winch Plate, well as I said. The twin core Rad has pushed everything forward. The AC Radiator wouldn't fit in there with the bolts, so its now welded in places there so I can still fit everything in. 

TazMann

As I am working nights this week made the most of my downtime yesterday and got a few more hours in working on the WJ with my brother. 

The winch is now all plumbed in and the front end is all back on. The snorkel is all in place and looks amazing. Not much left to do really now. Just got to complete the coolant flush and change, make up a small bracket to fix the Winch Solenoid Pack to under the hood and fit the Diff Breather kit. Hope fully it will be ready for a shake down run this weekend. Mus admit, really liking the way this looks now. 

The hidden winch plate was a little bit of a bitch, but I am guessing that's because of the larger rad. Even so we ended up cutting the bumper and fitting the fairlead into it. looks a little more factory I think anyway. 

IMG_20191105_103451.jpg

IMG_20191105_103457.jpg

IMG_20191105_152642.jpg

IMG-20191105-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20191105-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20191105-WA0011.jpg

Hotwheels

Fantastic work!!

• Like 1

TazMann

Thanks 👍 I really wish I could say this will be the end....... I know the wife want these mods to be the end, but they arn't. Still plenty more to do. Eventually. 🤣😂

• Haha 1

PDB

A real labour of love there Tazman. Cant see the tea leaves getting the winch now.

Ive heard a few tales of overheating woe after driving through quarry silt. That and the brakes. Hopefully it runs cool now. 👍

TazMann
11 minutes ago, PDB said:

A real labour of love there Tazman. Cant see the tea leaves getting the winch now.

Ive heard a few tales of overheating woe after driving through quarry silt. That and the brakes. Hopefully it runs cool now. 👍

There is no chance they will get the winch. If they can be bothered to rip the bumper off they are going to be met with security bolts underneath, just a little extra trick for them to figure out 😂

My overheating woes started at Whitcliff Quarry when my powersteering pump went. That coupled with not being able to pressure wash the rads out well lead to the problems, also the old winch bumper had the winch in front of the rad, not good. The new setup is going to be a lot better and I'm not driving through quarry puddles anymore, just nice flowing green lane water crossings. Not had any issues with the brakes though luckily. 

Running her up yesterday to get the coolant flush around the engine she was running a lot cooler, so it looks like all those issues are now sorted, thank heavens. 

PDB

Im with you on the quarry sites! I opted againat a snorkel due to visibility issues; on the WK the front pillar is obstructive enough on roundabouts. Like the idea of some forced cold air induction though. 👍

• Like 1

TazMann

The snorkel on the WJ 4.7 is on the passenger side so roundabouts shouldn't be a problem. It does obstruct the view a little so i'll just have to be extra careful, but i agree, GC visibility with the front pillars is appalling to be honest. 

I'll stil lgo to Quarry sites, just not going through any puddles LOL Not worth the hassle. 

PDB

I reconcile the pillar issue with the knowledge that they are built strong for crush resistance in a rollover.

I no longer cut corners at junctions or enter a rdbt without looking through the side window. Too exciting!

PDB

Mini rdbts are the problem where traffic comes from 1 o'clock rather than 2 or 3 o'clock.

TazMann
4 hours ago, PDB said:

Mini rdbts are the problem where traffic comes from 1 o'clock rather than 2 or 3 o'clock.

Well after driving it this morning, I actually do notice a difference. I do find myself having to look around the Snorkel. To be honest I think its a good thing. I agree totally on the 1o'clock position. Thats the sneak attack for other traffic. 

PDB

Yeah as long as 5he driver is aware, it's not a problem 👍

• Like 1

TazMann

Well that's a wrap on this round of WJ mods. The final few items were finished off yesterday. So now the ARB Diff breather is all plumbed in and the Winch Solenoid pack is mounted to the bulk head. 

I got the car back this morning and then spent a couple of hours completing the winch wiring. Just got to fit the socket for the wired controller in the cab and then I have both wired and wireless control. The only thing I am waiting on is a Factor 55 Flat Link Splicer. I hate those hooks. Just got to wait for them to finish at Sema and send me one over LOL

Really happy with how this has turned out. Now time to run it and enjoy it.  

Oh and to go back a few years on this thread, my cooling issues are solved 😀😎 The double core Rad and getting the winch out of the air flow have helped a lot. However, despite the endless pressure washing of the radiators it was still 50% blocked with mud from Whitcliff. The only way I was going to clear it properly was to get the front end off and the radiator out. No more muddy quarry puddles for me and the WJ..... Just nice clean water crossings from now on. 

So for now its done. Well, I am already looking at 6.5inch long arm kits........ Just don't tell Mrs TazMann😉

IMG_20191107_132330.jpg

IMG-20191106-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20191106-WA0007.jpg

Stew the Jeep

Looks good 

• Like 1

PDB

That's exactly where my diff breather is. She looks good. Looking forward to some landing pics. 👍

• Like 1

TazMann
6 hours ago, Stew the Jeep said:

Looks good 

Thanks Stew 👍

2 hours ago, PDB said:

That's exactly where my diff breather is. She looks good. Looking forward to some landing pics. 👍

I think its the only place it could be put, the other side of  the engine bay is now basically dedicated to power for the car and winch. Anything else that I add has to go on the passenger side from now on LOL