Grand Cherokee WJ - Build

TazMann

• Platinum Member

Thanks Tim. Its a work in progress, but liking the look of it all now. Not sure it will ever be finished though, its a Jeep all said and done 🤣😂

• Platinum Member

Oh and in case you are wondering why there are bolts missing from the Winch Plate, well as I said. The twin core Rad has pushed everything forward. The AC Radiator wouldn't fit in there with the bolts, so its now welded in places there so I can still fit everything in. 

• Platinum Member

As I am working nights this week made the most of my downtime yesterday and got a few more hours in working on the WJ with my brother. 

The winch is now all plumbed in and the front end is all back on. The snorkel is all in place and looks amazing. Not much left to do really now. Just got to complete the coolant flush and change, make up a small bracket to fix the Winch Solenoid Pack to under the hood and fit the Diff Breather kit. Hope fully it will be ready for a shake down run this weekend. Mus admit, really liking the way this looks now. 

The hidden winch plate was a little bit of a bitch, but I am guessing that's because of the larger rad. Even so we ended up cutting the bumper and fitting the fairlead into it. looks a little more factory I think anyway. 

IMG_20191105_103451.jpg

IMG_20191105_103457.jpg

IMG_20191105_152642.jpg

IMG-20191105-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20191105-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20191105-WA0011.jpg

• Platinum Member

Thanks 👍 I really wish I could say this will be the end....... I know the wife want these mods to be the end, but they arn't. Still plenty more to do. Eventually. 🤣😂

• Haha 1

• Platinum Member
11 minutes ago, PDB said:

A real labour of love there Tazman. Cant see the tea leaves getting the winch now.

Ive heard a few tales of overheating woe after driving through quarry silt. That and the brakes. Hopefully it runs cool now. 👍

There is no chance they will get the winch. If they can be bothered to rip the bumper off they are going to be met with security bolts underneath, just a little extra trick for them to figure out 😂

My overheating woes started at Whitcliff Quarry when my powersteering pump went. That coupled with not being able to pressure wash the rads out well lead to the problems, also the old winch bumper had the winch in front of the rad, not good. The new setup is going to be a lot better and I'm not driving through quarry puddles anymore, just nice flowing green lane water crossings. Not had any issues with the brakes though luckily. 

Running her up yesterday to get the coolant flush around the engine she was running a lot cooler, so it looks like all those issues are now sorted, thank heavens. 

• Platinum Member

The snorkel on the WJ 4.7 is on the passenger side so roundabouts shouldn't be a problem. It does obstruct the view a little so i'll just have to be extra careful, but i agree, GC visibility with the front pillars is appalling to be honest. 

I'll stil lgo to Quarry sites, just not going through any puddles LOL Not worth the hassle. 

• Platinum Member
4 hours ago, PDB said:

Mini rdbts are the problem where traffic comes from 1 o'clock rather than 2 or 3 o'clock.

Well after driving it this morning, I actually do notice a difference. I do find myself having to look around the Snorkel. To be honest I think its a good thing. I agree totally on the 1o'clock position. Thats the sneak attack for other traffic. 

• Platinum Member

Well that's a wrap on this round of WJ mods. The final few items were finished off yesterday. So now the ARB Diff breather is all plumbed in and the Winch Solenoid pack is mounted to the bulk head. 

I got the car back this morning and then spent a couple of hours completing the winch wiring. Just got to fit the socket for the wired controller in the cab and then I have both wired and wireless control. The only thing I am waiting on is a Factor 55 Flat Link Splicer. I hate those hooks. Just got to wait for them to finish at Sema and send me one over LOL

Really happy with how this has turned out. Now time to run it and enjoy it.  

Oh and to go back a few years on this thread, my cooling issues are solved 😀😎 The double core Rad and getting the winch out of the air flow have helped a lot. However, despite the endless pressure washing of the radiators it was still 50% blocked with mud from Whitcliff. The only way I was going to clear it properly was to get the front end off and the radiator out. No more muddy quarry puddles for me and the WJ..... Just nice clean water crossings from now on. 

So for now its done. Well, I am already looking at 6.5inch long arm kits........ Just don't tell Mrs TazMann😉

IMG_20191107_132330.jpg

IMG-20191106-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20191106-WA0007.jpg

• Platinum Member
6 hours ago, Stew the Jeep said:

Looks good 

Thanks Stew 👍

2 hours ago, PDB said:

That's exactly where my diff breather is. She looks good. Looking forward to some landing pics. 👍

I think its the only place it could be put, the other side of  the engine bay is now basically dedicated to power for the car and winch. Anything else that I add has to go on the passenger side from now on LOL 

• Platinum Member

41 minutes ago, Jim said:

From a fellow WJ owner who has been following your thread with interest (and envy), you have a bloody nice WJ.

Jim, Thank you so much for your kind comments 😎

I can't believe when I look back through this build thread that its been going for nearly 4 years now 😮

Oh in other news, I now have a set of LED headlight bulbs on the way. I did get some Osram Nightbreaker Laser but the H4 bulbs will not fit and I cant get H4a anywhere. So the LED should fit because they have a little extension lead on them. The H3 mains fit if you take the locking plate off first. So LED and Osram Nightbreaker Laser headlights. Hopefully these will give me a little more illumination. 

Funny you say your stopping additions for a little while, but already thinking of a Lightbar again and a few little spots in the bumper eitherside of the winch 🤔

• Platinum Member

Well took the WJ up to the Long Mynd yesterday to give her a little shake down run. After all the rain we have had I know that the tracks (UCR's) over the Mynd are all rocky and would not get damaged by me driving over them. It was bleak up there. Hence why there are no photos. But the WJ did everything perfectly. No more overheating issues and tackled everything perfectly. 

Quite glad I have the snorkel now, the roads were rivers in places, its going to take a long time for all this rain water to dissipate now. 

Oh and just in case anyone is reading up and thinking of LED upgrade bulbs, dont bother. The WJ has very deep wells that the bulb has to fit into. So just go fr straigh 9006xs and 9005xs bulbs. They are not H3 or H4 as they are angled sockets. You need H3a or H4a but a search of the 9006xs or 9005xs will get you more options on that auction site 🙂 

Edited by TazMann

• Platinum Member
Stew the Jeep

There are some brilliant lanes over the Mynd but as you say Shropshire is very flooded Great pub at Bridges though!

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I wanted to get the bumper repainted to be honest, but MissusTaz Mann said that she preferred it silver as it tie into the front grill and the side steps/rock rails. 

Just a few small items outstanding now. Well on order from the USA. Factor 55 has been raided LOL 

• Platinum Member
17 hours ago, PDB said:

Factor55 are available in the UK.

Yep I know. But when they arn't in stock they still have to come from the USA 👍 I did purchase in the UK just waiting on delivery. 

• Platinum Member

I have a Flat Splicer and a Fast Fid on order 😁 No fancy colours or anything like that. Just want to go down the closed winch system route. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

Well the Factor 55 stuff never turned up. I was mucked about by the company I ordered from, never had them give me and update on anything so demanded a refund after 5 weeks of waiting..... Not good. 

Anyway to make up for it decided to reinstate the lightbar. So all being well that will arrive before xmas so that can all be installed ready for some lane runs over the festive period. 

I just cannot stop adding to the jeep LOL 

• Platinum Member

Less is more, hence why just one light bar and maybe a couple more spots in the bumper. I have a couple knocking around LOL

I am keeping an eye on other shops. But to be honest, i might just make do for a while now LOL 

I did think about Cannock Twilight run, then i looked at the price..... I ride MTB over there regularly and to be honest that £50 would provide me a full day laning in Wales. Just too expensive for a couple of hours. 

Edited by TazMann

• 4 months later...
  • Platinum Member
14 hours ago, PDB said:

Any more TLC on the WJ Tazman?

Well funny you should ask...... What with everyone being on lockdown and having loads of free time I have managed to do a few odd jobs to get things finished off.

A few weeks ago I decided the winch needed a little maintenance. It was not running properly. Sop off came the front of the car and out with the winch. Turned out that the brake was all gunged up and needed cleaning to get it working nice and smooth again and to stop binding. So whilst it was out it got a full rebuild and re-grease of the gearbox and the motor and contactors all cleaned up. Now runs like a champ again.

Also finally wired up the LED Lightbar and fitted that.

So all done now really. Just waiting for lockdown to be relaxed a little to allow us out and then go and hit some lanes. Wales look out LOL

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

• Platinum Member
30 minutes ago, Stew the Jeep said:

Looks good 

Thanks Stew. Longest I have owned a Car to be fair. Still love it. always thinking of upgrades LOL Still toying with a full long arm and higher lift....... 

• Like 1

• Platinum Member

I just used standard grease to be fair. The Warrior winch's now use lithium grease in the gearbox and claim its sealed for life, however as part of the maintenance i'll be cleaning it regularly so standard grease, especially if it gets submerged. The electrical contacts and motor were just cleaned with regular electrical cleaner. Works like a champ. 

The JOC sticker is external and comes on a long roll. There is no clear backing each of the letters is individually cut, or it used to be. Needs to be replaced as scraping the car of frost i have caught a few of the letters 😆