advice please

roberth

• Platinum Member

Hi

I am looking to buy a 4 door JK.

My question is, am I better buying an older jeep that has been modified with higher mileage  or a newer  un modded version ?

Is there much difference between say a 07 year version or a 09/10 plate spec wise?

many thanks

Rob

• Platinum Member

I wish i had asked that very same question before i bought mine.

But the answer can depend on what you want as the final product are you wanting build a fully modifed off road or more of an expedition rig ?

I purhcased a 09 4dr JKU a year back, with, 2.5" lift and mud tyres.

Is there much difference between say a 07 year version or a 09/10 plate spec wise?

Rob,

Due to the issues Jeep was having between 07 and 09/10 you will find a few 07 manufactured JKs on 08/09 plates. You would need to check the vin for the model year to be sure.

You should be able to tell the 10 onwards JK's due to the interior trim change.

Also the earlier JK's had a larger towing limit, if that is something you need to consider.

As to buying modified or original, as mentioned by Jim, if you know the history then you will stand a better chance.

You also need to decide what direction you are going in, most people end up redoing the mods due to personal choice anyway.

Best of luck with your search and I am sure you will get lots of help if you need it, just ask.

Cheers

Neal

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

I really want soothing I can take  the family camping etc  Im not looking for extreme off road capability . I know looks arnt every thing but they do seem to look better with a suspension lift and up graded wheels.while still maintaining good on road handling

the trouble is im not too good with the spanners so I was hoping to find something done already

regards

Rob