Electric Aerial Issues

Iain CDM

• Platinum Member

Hi folks. The electric aerial on my Cherokee XJ 4.0 is temperamental - it will work when I first start the car up in the morning, and will retract when I stop the engine, but when I restart the engine moments later it gets all shy and won't come out. I've tried cleaning the mast thoroughly and lubricating it with various things including WD40 and, with slightly better results, grease.  Is there a particular product which is best for electric aerials?  I don't really want to dismantle the under wing area to get to the motor if I can avoid it.  Thanks, Iain.

• Platinum Member

hi Iain,last year i had to fit a 2nd hand antenna to my XJ. as the nylon drive cable inside the antenna broke (in the half up position) taking out the old antenna and fitting in the replacement one was not to bad,the plate under the steering wheel had to be removed etc.but by the sounds of it..your one may need to come out and be looked at in more detail and given a good clean inside and then maybe you will see if anything is damaged inside the antenna.or fit a replacement antenna and have done with it..good luck.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for that Den. So access is via the under-dash area and not the wing? May be easier (or less difficult) than I thought. The problem seems to be worse if we've had a lot of rain or if I go through very deep puddles. Must be muck in the mechanism I suppose.

• Platinum Member

hi Iain..well my friend you need to remove the wheel or turn it enough to give yourself access..remove the arch liner and then you will see the antenna..its held by a 13mm nut...theres a grommet on the inner wing that the wires go through to the under dash area so pull it out of the inner wing.. remove the panel under the steering wheel..plastic panel first then the steel panel..i found it quite fiddly trying to find the antenna power wires as theres plenty of other wires in the way but in the end i found the antenna power wire plug..and of course the antenna lead plug as there near each other,remove the wires from the inner wing,i found another pair of hands was needed to thread the wires through the inner wing while i was feeling for the wire ends..then just plug in to the power plug and the antenna plug..and tighten the 13mm nut and test the antenna before you put it all back together.. :great:...... :icon_e_smile:  ....ps the top of the antenna is a push fit into the rubber part on the top of the wing.

• Platinum Member

yes i guess its up to the individual whether he or she wants to do the work to replace the antenna. :icon_e_smile: