tyre advice - yes another thread on the same topic

fen01

• Platinum Member

okay, please hear me out on this.....

I've trawled the site and cannot find any thread that answers my question.

At the moment i've got 255/70 R18 113s Duelers fitted on my JKU.  I'm looking for a tyre that has a little better profile, but will also is a suitable replacement road tyre.  Any replacement will need to fit in the standard spare wheel cover.

Bob recommended Cooper ST Maxx.  They don't seem to come in the exact tyre size I have at the moment...

I've tried to work out the tyre calculators.  Truth be told I don't actually understand them.

Any thoughts / advice on this would be appreciated.

• Platinum Member

There is nothing but a similar spec tyre available in the UK in that exact size.

If you want a road biased tyre then what you have is as good as you will get.

Playing around with sizes within a set of accepted limits will give you a few options. 

I found this a good site for quick reference purposes https://tiresize.com/chart/

I ran GG AT's on my Black Edition, I would have preferred the ST Maxx but I couldn't get hold of a set at the time so went with the GG.  Performance in the wet was acceptable / average, off road performance was average to good.  Reports on the Coopers are more favourable.

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 275/65/18 are the same radius but around 3/4 inch wider...

All of this is though somewhat irrelevant if you are set on another road biased tyre at the exact same size...as soon as you start moving toward a tyre that works better off road you have to compromise on road capability and you have to start playing with sizing.

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

• Platinum Member

Yokohama  Geolander AT-S G0-12  ..available in 255 70 18 to replace stock Bridgestone Duellers H/T.

Picuture of them fitted to my JK ....

image.thumb.png.d434b77ad0ca51234e339fefa77eda94.png

• Administrators

I would go for some 17" rims and fit the BF Goodridge All Terrain T/A KO2 Tyres. More choices on 17" that the 18" unfortunately  :grrrrrr:

BFGoodrich-All-Terrain-T-A-sup-KO2-sup.png.3c4deaf58ee9603124dbba687dce9960.png

• Platinum Member

Picuture of them fitted to my JK ....

They look better than the Deulers fitted at the moment..

• Platinum Member

I would go for some 17" rims and fit the BF Goodridge All Terrain T/A KO2 Tyres. More choices on 17" that the 18" unfortunately  :grrrrrr:

I'm reluctant to replace the wheels as well.  Thanks of the tip on this one though.  Maybe in the future

• Platinum Member

Hi Fenton

These are the old style BF Goodrich  All terrains and they fit on standard fit rims with no rubbing issues. I love em.

037.thumb.JPG.322e8e6391d18e8091016dc2aa171f9b.JPG

• Platinum Member

I'm reluctant to replace the wheels as well.  Thanks of the tip on this one though.  Maybe in the future

From memory (ie I'd check their website) ... the new BFG AT KO2 comes in 2 sizes for 18" at present - the 265/65/18 is fairly close to your rolling radius Fenton, but just a bit wider than your current tyre. They may have more 18" sizes in the future - they do have the same size as your existing tyre in the USA.

They are ofcourse an all-terrain tyre - I thought you were looking for a replacement road tyre?

• Platinum Member

Kerry,

I'm looking for a better looking tyre, that is an all terrain tyre rather than just a standard road tyre.

• Platinum Member

Kerry,

I'm looking for a better looking tyre, that is an all terrain tyre rather than just a standard road tyre.

OK ... then (imho) the new KO2 is probably the best AT tyre ever made :glasses:

There are other good AT tyres out there, like the Cooper AT3 (already mentioned), but it is quite difficult - in the UK at least - to get the size you want. Searching mr google doesn't get many hits for your existing size, as you have probably already found out.

It might be worth phoning Michelin (makers of BFG tyres) and seeing if your size is coming to the UK at some point in the future ... I don't have it with me, but will post up their customer services number tomorrow ...

In the mean time ... good luck with your search - getting the right tyre is so important :great:

• Platinum Member

For info, I like tirerack.com

Good comparisons.

(And if you don't mind the shipping and duty, deliver those hard to find sizes in 48 hours.)

• Platinum Member

Yes but they must be 'E' rated for legal use on UK roads  last I read

If they're not many tyre shops will not fit them

• Administrators

More info here! https://www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-tyre-labeling-regulation-guidance-for-business-and-industry This "E" mark thing is a bit of a at strange one ! If you import a US Jeep chances are it has no E marked tyres ? As far as I'm aware you don't have to replace the US DOT marked tyres with E marked ones? I presume this is included in the type approval process when you import the Jeep? Looks like a EU measure to protect it's market under the guise of noise and effecincey labelling ?

• Platinum Member

More info here! https://www.gov.uk/guidance/eu-tyre-labeling-regulation-guidance-for-business-and-industry This "E" mark thing is a bit of a at strange one ! If you import a US Jeep chances are it has no E marked tyres ? As far as I'm aware you don't have to replace the US DOT marked tyres with E marked ones? I presume this is included in the type approval process when you import the Jeep? Looks like a EU measure to protect it's market under the guise of noise and effecincey labelling ?

I seem to remember we have discussed "E" marking of tyres in the past - a bit like tyre threads, its bound to come up again from time to time - and my understanding is that it has not been legal to sell tyres in the UK that are not E-marked ... since 1.7.1997. Things were changed again in 2012 to accommodate "tyre labelling" (wet / mileage / noise parameters). I also think that something changed again on 31.12.2015 ~ which might be the long awaited "enforcement procedures" ... they have been in consultation since April 2014 - and still talking :scratch:

It is a bit of a minefield to get the latest info ... why would we need to - we are just supposed to do as we are told ... anyway (my 5p's worth) I personally would not risk non E-marked tyres just in case your friendly Insurance company tries to use it as an excuse not to pay out on a claim. But the choice, as always, is yours ...

PS here is the Michelin customer helpline number I mentioned yesterday: 0845 3661590

• Platinum Member

Tire rack knows that and would only ship E stamped on one of my many purchases

I think I was after Kevlar tyres two years ago and they would not ship at a that time as they were not E stamped

Again they are a great reference website, buying from them is .... An option

Remember. New UK bound Jeeps get their tyres sourced and fitted.......in the USA (or Mexico!)

Yes but they must be 'E' rated for legal use on UK roads  last I read

If they're not many tyre shops will not fit them