Detailing products

fen01

• Platinum Member

So, after having a great morning at Slindon, I've notice lots of little surface scratches from the pesky branches on Sunday.  What recommendations do you all have for removing / detailing bodywork after a light off road session.

• Platinum Member

Ordinary car polish gets the majority of twig scratches out. Deeper ones will need T Cut or similar. I stopped green laning because of the scratch damage and hours of polishing it caused!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

One of the major downsides of solid black paint unfortunately.

There is only so much detailing you will ever be able to do to remove the evidence - at the end of the day, polishing is cutting back through lacker; there are only so many times you can take that approach before you start at the paint itself.

Contemplate living with them, when you then come to sell on, get the Jeep pro detailed.  If you just do maintenance cleaning and superficial detailing a pro detailer will be left with a lot of surface depth to cut back through the problem.  You could also contemplate getting the car detailed with a focus on a number of protective layers being added (paint sealers etc) - a very expensive approach, time consuming and not a guaranteed result though.

I don't lane without a portable folding tree saw, branch lopers and secateurs - it's all part of the out door experience!  I lane to be out in the country side, see green stuff, scenery and explore.  I crack on where the trail permits and where it doesn't, I take it slow and give it some sympathetic pruning - an opportunity to get the Jetboil out and brew up!

• Platinum Member

Agree, save the wheel and t-cut for when you really need it as you can only do it so much until you hit paydirt.

hopefully a mild polish will take those slindon pin stripes out.  Get yerself a set of magnets.  Rugged Ridge just started doing them, I have Trail Skinz.  Easy on and easy off and the amount of protection is worth it. I have a set of limb risers too, really help but only if you are going into the thick of things which you may choose to avoid.

and remember, stripes add character!

• Platinum Member

Fenton,

proud owner of a black beauty, my 2 p's: wear it proudly!

If you start polishing already you will end up with bare metal in couple of years...

Best, Hugo

It's  funny, scratches at the likes of Slindon don't worry me. I will polish what I can as mentioned by Jim. All part of the process.  :great:

But a scratch by someone else in a car park drives me totally mad  :diablo:

Guest grey thunder

One of the major downsides of solid black paint unfortunately.

There is only so much detailing you will ever be able to do to remove the evidence - at the end of the day, polishing is cutting back through lacker; there are only so many times you can take that approach before you start at the paint itself.

Contemplate living with them, when you then come to sell on, get the Jeep pro detailed.  If you just do maintenance cleaning and superficial detailing a pro detailer will be left with a lot of surface depth to cut back through the problem.  You could also contemplate getting the car detailed with a focus on a number of protective layers being added (paint sealers etc) - a very expensive approach, time consuming and not a guaranteed result though.

I don't lane without a portable folding tree saw, branch lopers and secateurs - it's all part of the out door experience!  I lane to be out in the country side, see green stuff, scenery and explore.  I crack on where the trail permits and where it doesn't, I take it slow and give it some sympathetic pruning - an opportunity to get the Jetboil out and brew up!

Best put you up front them in north Yorks it could be a long day    :rofl:

• Platinum Member

Yorkshire? Why on earth would I won't to go up there? Full of plastic Northerners.  I will stay over here, nice and close to Wales...plenty of friendly sheep [emoji3]

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

Guest grey thunder

Yorkshire? Why on earth would I won't to go up there? Full of plastic Northerners.  I will stay over here, nice and close to Wales...plenty of friendly sheep [emoji3]

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

What trip have I got you booked on ?

• Platinum Member

Best put you up front them in north Yorks it could be a long day

Its a Jeep

Black Pearls never been polished since I got it in 2009

Got a few battle scars, just dont look closely

I found out, following Mick around N.Yorks usually involves drive through black berry picking, so I got some trail skins, which stops me wincing as much when advancing through the under growth

• Platinum Member

Agree, save the wheel and t-cut for when you really need it as you can only do it so much until you hit paydirt.

hopefully a mild polish will take those slindon pin stripes out.  Get yerself a set of magnets.  Rugged Ridge just started doing them, I have Trail Skinz.  Easy on and easy off and the amount of protection is worth it. I have a set of limb risers too, really help but only if you are going into the thick of things which you may choose to avoid.

and remember, stripes add character!

I've looked at the magnets.  Was told the Rugged Ridge were a little thicker than the Trail Skinz, and a little cheaper.  What are the shipping costs like on a product like that from the US?  How much do you get stung by UK Customs when they arrive here?

I've looked at the magnets.  Was told the Rugged Ridge were a little thicker than the Trail Skinz, and a little cheaper.  What are the shipping costs like on a product like that from the US?  How much do you get stung by UK Customs when they arrive here?

Fenton,

Rugged Ridge do have EU dealers that may be able to give a price on these.

• Platinum Member

Got my skins from Canada. If not in a hurry ask for consignment shipping. Much cheaper. And, they have more than paid for themselves.

• Platinum Member

You can also buy a roll of  Self Adhesive Vinyl Flexible Magnetic Sheeting and cut it to measure yourself.

We've done that for protecting my JK and it works but make sure you clean it and let it dry properly before storing it.

They have lots of different colours. A roll of 5 m x 620 mm 0.85mm thick for £30.99 free P&P.

eBay item number:201461261187