Keep the KJ or not?

nickwalk

• Platinum Member

Hi all

Had  great time at Slindon today which is making the decision I've got to take even more difficult which is, whether to keep our current 2.8 CRD Cherokee KJ or sell it.

Reason is that my wife has started a new job and as the Jeep is hers, she is now only commuting 2 miles a day. This means that there is just no time for the engine to warm up and my fear is that all the time she continues to use the Jeep, we're going to be creating problems for the future! Although the Jeep is 10 years old and got over 100k on the clock, it does what it needs to and like today, means we can go and get dirty once in a while. So the options are to sell it now and maybe buy a petrol Jeep (not sure if the short commute is going to be as bad for a petrol as for diesel) or just keep the KJ and wait for the DPF, ERG etc to go wrong and pay to get it fixed. Really not sure what the best option is so what do you think?

Cheers

Nick

• Platinum Member

Hi,we had ours for years doing less than 10 mins driving to get to work,didn't have any problems,kept it well serviced though,cheers

• Platinum Member

That's kind of my thinking in that as long as I stay on top of maintenance then it should be ok but have heard all the stories about DPF clogging up and issue with oil never been warm enough leading to excessive engine wear so just not sure. Did have a quick look to see if there are any 3.6 petrol Wrangler Unlimiteds out there as that could be a option (and a very nice one!) but there's nothing!

• Platinum Member

I had a similar problem as you have, very short commute to work for about 5 years, did no harm to the KJ. When the weekend came I you end up using it more so the engine warms up better and the gas emission sort them self out. Keep the KJ and enjoy it when you can. Other option once a week swap over with your wife and take it for a long run. As for the DPF & ERG add occasional Additive for Diesel engines and that should do the trick. Also short journey to to work will also ruin a Petrol engine too as it won't warm up, so no justification there to swap.