Change of vehicle advice

darrenh

• Platinum Member

Evening all,

I currently have a Grand Cherokee 4.7 (year 2000) which some of you will of seen at Kielder. Since then i've developed an obsession with JKU'S. I've seen a few on Auto Trader, looking around the 2008 year isn, i'm wanting something newer. I love the V8 and no doubt i would miss that part of it (MPG's isn't a problem as it's only a weekend toy) but i'm at a crossroad at what to do. What do you people reckon based on your own knowledge or history go Wranglers, is it something once i got one i'd never look back. I know it's down to everyones own preference but any advice is appreciated.

Daz

I can say with 100% confidence that I wish I had a Auto Petrol with the Pentastar Engine, This is because I drove one, I was 100% happy with my choice of a diesel manual until this point!

SO in short both are great just do not drive a Pentastar after you have bought a diesel ! Oh and your grand is great, If your selling it I might know a man who will be interested!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

I can say with 100% confidence that I wish I had a Auto Petrol with the Pentastar Engine, This is because I drove one, I was 100% happy with my choice of a diesel manual until this point!

SO in short both are great just do not drive a Pentastar after you have bought a diesel ! Oh and your grand is great, If your selling it I might know a man who will be interested!

Cheers Chris, i love the WJ V8 but it's old, high mileage. I'd love to do an overseas expedition but i don't think i'd dare venture that far in the WJ lol.

Daz

• Platinum Member

I learnt this very lesson the hard way...

I had my diesel for all but 3.5 months!

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

Nothing at all wrong with the diesel ! I really do love mine :great:

I'm sure the remap I have lined up will help!

• Platinum Member

...I would add that I feel pretty confident that the JKUR will be in the family for a long time - I have had 8 weekend toys in around 4 years searching for a keeper.  There is nothing I would change materially about the JKU Petrol other than to add the lost power post bolting on lots of additional steel and aluminium (an incomplete journey!)

Doing my research into super chargers / turbo chargers...post warranty.

Having been trough the diesel versus petrol dilemma very recently and at significant expense; the JKU diesel is a great car, the JKUR is in an entirely different league - it has a character difficult to describe. 

To me the diesel is loosely like owning a Defender that actually works; a great car. The first time you turn over the 3.6 and pull away you just know it was designed to run with the Pentastar...

• Platinum Member

Nothing at all wrong with the diesel ! I really do love mine :great:

I'm sure the remap I have lined up will help!

Sorry Chris!

I completely agree.  There is no bad choice - I am complete  convert to both.  I would not be without a JKU regardless of what fuel you put in the back.

Sorry Chris!

I completely agree.  There is no bad choice - I am complete  convert to both.  I would not be without a JKU regardless of what fuel you put in the back.

No Worries Steve, Our comments passed each other in being posted!

I agree that the petrol is the better engine without a doubt, But the diesel is also a great beast, One thing that is good about the diesel is that no matter what you bolt on the torque takes care of the extra weight or so I have found. No real difference in performance after steel bumpers,bigger wheels an tyre's etc. I do have an Oil cooler which might be required for some depending on their use or where they use as I'm sure the weight will be adding strain to the cooling especially under load! I think as you say,anyone that drives either JK/JKU will be more than impressed over the alternatives!

Hi Darren.

I had a WJ V8HO for many years and loved every minute of owning it and using it. Was a sad day when it went.

Got a JKUR now, and love every minute of owning this also. Without a doubt Petrol for me every time. If only a V8 in the JKUR as a factory option!?

Petrol / Diesel.......entirely up to you. It is going to be "your" Jeep after all.

Only problem with owning the Wrangler is that you will find you look through considerably more accessory catalogues than you ever did with the WJ, and "want, want want", then "spend, spend, spend" !

• Administrators

Hi Darren,

We have both CRD Sahara and a Rubicon Petrol ! I have to say they are like 2 different Jeeps to be honest ! I love driving both of them but the main choice is not so much petrol or diesel it's if you need the extra features of the Rubicon too as there is no Diesel option in RHD versions!

I wish we had opted for the Rubicon for my wife when she brought her Sahara in many ways once I realised the benefits from stock even !

The main extra features on Rubicon are :

• Next Generation Dana 44 front and rear axles that are each fitted with Tru-Lok locking differentials.
  • Electronic Sway bar disconnect (Anti roll bar in English)
  • 4.10:1 Next Generation Dana 44 front and rear axles that are each fitted with Tru-Lok locking differentials
  • 4:1 Rock-Trac part-time 4WD transfer case provides a 73.1:1 crawl ratio

• Platinum Member

I agree with Stewart on this one, I have a CRD and I love it as a wrangler and off road vehicle I have driven a petrol and yes there is a difference.

I would like a Rubi in the future but for the reasons that Stewart listed for its tougher off road set up.

(said… sat in the office staring out the window at the JKU.. smiling.. )

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I suppose the Rubicon is the perfect choice but it's finding them that's the problem. Some good points to ponder.

Thanks for your help,

Daz

...I would add that I feel pretty confident that the JKUR will be in the family for a long time - I have had 8 weekend toys in around 4 years searching for a keeper.  There is nothing I would change materially about the JKU Petrol other than to add the lost power post bolting on lots of additional steel and aluminium (an incomplete journey!)

Doing my research into super chargers / turbo chargers...post warranty.

Having been trough the diesel versus petrol dilemma very recently and at significant expense; the JKU diesel is a great car, the JKUR is in an entirely different league - it has a character difficult to describe. 

To me the diesel is loosely like owning a Defender that actually works; a great car. The first time you turn over the 3.6 and pull away you just know it was designed to run with the Pentastar...

Totally agree...I've had Series & Defenders since 1975, my last and probably final one was a 2008 Puma which I sold last year in order to dip a toe into the Jeep world, the Wrangler is basically where I expect the Defender replacement is heading & having been used to later LR derv derivatives I can only say that my JK CRD is light years ahead of the LR (Ford Transit) 2.4/2.2 lump...I can't believe how responsive the CRD is both on & off road...hey I can actually overtake vehicle without having to pray before, during & after the manouvre!

Would I go back to a Solihull machine...definitely not, would I go for a Rubicon next time...probably not, but then again if I see a nice red one I could be tempted.

• Platinum Member

If your going  for a used one, the earlier builds of Sahara like mine, came  with 4.10's Axle Ratio from factory handy for larger tyres

• Platinum Member

If your going  for a used one, the earlier builds of Sahara like mine, came  with 4.10's Axle Ratio from factory handy for larger tyres

Cheers Lawrence,

Daz