gearing ratio tj

woody-Jeep

• Platinum Member

Hello

could you please help me.

I am after the stock gearing ratio for a 1998 wrangler tj automatic 4.0l

The reason for this is because i am looking into getting some new boots but don't want to have problems with the performance as it runs well at the moment.

wanted to go as big as possible withe out the compromise.

Ive tried looking at the diffs for info but cant find any tags.

Thanks Paul

• Platinum Member

Sorry for being thick but is it a case of just entering your vin in the search bar to find the original build details ?

They'll be either 3.07 or 3.73 :great: my money's on 3.07  , oh unless it's a 97 the it could be 3.55 :mdr:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Doesn't really matter unless you intend regearing. Up to 30" tyres, you won't notice much bigger, 31" and up you will gradually lose more and more performance.

• Platinum Member

I have 3.07 and 31" tyres.. You should be ok with it, only notice performance lost on a long hill on the motorway, but drop 1 gear down - no problem

• Platinum Member

Thinking of either 265/70/r15 or 265/75/r15 AT tyres.

Will need to replace all 5 any opinions on the which tyres are best for a £500 budget looking to do some off road pay and plays and also some green lanes as well as normal road use.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
The Green Goblin

My 2000 tj is 3.07 ratio. I've got 33" tyres and there's definitely a performance loss. Town riding if fine not much difference. Dual carriage ways and motorways you will notice the difference.  With no wind I can still ride at 70 mph but I do notice more petrol loss. 65-60 seems alright. With wind 60 is gonna be the max really. Offroad no difference at all from my experience. Truthly my set up would get annoying for someone who likes to drive fast everywhere. I've looked into re-gearing but it's just too much money for me so I'm not gonna bother it's something I can live with.  Lifted jeeps aren't gonna be fast anyway. But big wheels and lifted jeeps look badass

• Platinum Member

Hi Harley

in the end i opted for the 265/70 r15's  got a cracking price of £74 a tyre for cooper discoverer at3's there bigger than the 235's on at the moment and will hopefully give it a meaner stance, also picked some wheels up from eb*y and having them refurbed, so all change.

trying to get it all finished before the 4x4 show, i will post pics once all sorted out.

as you said the cost of regearing was well out of my price range.

'