very disappointed with tyre options!

Vuck Roger

• Platinum Member

So, long story short: I have been reading tyre reviews and paying extra attention to those here install as new tyres. Finally convinced I had found my preferred option - for what is available in this country - I contacted one of the tyre shops mentioned in one of the several build threads, to enquire about the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3.

After some days of back and forth email exchanges the gentleman from the tyre shop that I have been corresponding with, writes me back: "(...) The Mickey Thompson tyres are no longer E.U. compliant so we cannot access any more stock (...)"... Bloody hell! Did you know about this??? If this is true why are there shops still selling Mickey Thompson? Is this legal?

For those of you that recently purchased tyres, did the shop disclose the fact that the current brand you are using is, or not, EU Compliant?

I am back to square one... 35's. Suggestions anyone? AT preferably!  :whip:

Hi Hugo, if there are compliant they'll be stamped!

Lots of tyre's have failed to gain the stamp due to acoustics being out of new regulation on road noise etc i.e. The labelling you see on tyre's these days.

Who did you try? Silverline were the only place with stock of MT tyre's I knew of. However they're stock I'm sure would be dwindling on stamped tyre's in some sizes.

Maybe try Oponeo, email them with what you want and see what they can find in Europe....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Hi Hugo, if there are compliant they'll be stamped!

Lots of tyre's have failed to gain the stamp due to acoustics being out of new regulation on road noise etc i.e. The labelling you see on tyre's these days.

Who did you try? Silverline were the only place with stock of MT tyre's I knew of. However they're stock I'm sure would be dwindling on stamped tyre's in some sizes.

Maybe try Oponeo, email them with what you want and see what they can find in Europe....

Thanks for the suggestion, Chris.

I purposely didn't mention names, as this was not about tyre shops, but more interested to know if others were experiencing the same situation, and if anyone as suggestions regarding tyres in 35 measure.

I will look into your suggestion!

Cheers,

Hugo

• Platinum Member

I understand that Silverline do have stock of Mickey Thompson ATZ P3 - or they did last week ...

The stock they have are from 2012/13 and were EU compliant at that time. I believe they are able to sell that stock as E marked ... but the latest eu rules mean any new ATZ P3's are no longer compliant. Once the ones currently in the UK are sold there will be no more - unless Mickey Thompson (owned by Cooper tyres) does something about it.

Hugo, my own tyre search hit this snag. The above was confirmed to me by Tyres Direct on the phone.

I think you only have to wait a bit longer for the new BFG AT KO2 to arrive in the UK in 315/70/r17 size. Should here first week in February. Hope that helps.

K02's won't be long, they're already available in Ireland ! Should be here mid/late Feb I'm told ! From a very reliable source  :icon_e_wink:

• Platinum Member

K02's won't be long, they're already available in Ireland ! Should be here mid/late Feb I'm told ! From a very reliable source  :icon_e_wink:

That would be VERY, VERY nice! If you feel that you can reveal your source, my inbox awaits you...

Hugo let me have a word and I'll let you know anything I can find out for you, I'll be having a couple of beers next Monday night in Dublin with a man in the know :great:

• Platinum Member

That would be VERY, VERY nice! If you feel that you can reveal your source, my inbox awaits you...

My source was BFG customer services .... hope they were correct when they said "first week in February" ... but things do get delayed in the UK tyre market :glasses:

My source was BFG customer services .... hope they were correct when they said "first week in February" ... but things do get delayed in the UK tyre market :glasses:

They I'm sure are correct, working very much in the tyre industry, I can confirm everything runs a little behind in the UK!

Rest assured the biggest tyre distributer in the UK will know when they will hit the retail outlets and be available to the public! I would assume the BFG UK will receive stocks the first week of Feb to their UK warehouse , it will take a couple of weeks for these to reach wholesalers and in turn retail tyre shops. Either way not long!

• Platinum Member

Hugo have you tried these guys?

http://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/

No affiliation with them whatsoever but normally have a good range and reasonable prices.

That's who I got my 295 muds from, only ones in the country I could find. really good guys had a large range in Stock

• Platinum Member

Yeah hugo what about Steves size, they look great and should measure 33.5"? Perfect for  a 2 door in my opinion!

Hi Alex,

my thing is that I do not want to go with MT's. I am in for AT's this time; mud bogging is really not my thing. I am more of an overlander, plus I had a very good experience with the previous BFG AT that I had in the Mitsu. I managed to do everything I do with the MT's I currently have in the Rubi, without the minus of MPG and cabin noise.

Maybe I should go down to 16'' wheels. I see a lot of more options for that wheel size.

I saw Steve1's original post and I do like the size of those. That could be an option to consider, because I would rather go tall and slim, rather than short and wide - and I am talking about tyres, just FYI...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member
The Green Goblin

I've got mickey Thompson baja Mtz tyres. Spoke to silver line before Christmas and they still sold these and gave me the price

• Platinum Member
The Green Goblin

MUDs aren't very loud at all, handle well I'm very happy. I offroad maybe once every couple of months the rest is on road miles and they are going well

• Platinum Member

BFG AT KO2 315/70/R17 now available to order ...

My set should arrive Monday or Tuesday next week :glasses:

• Platinum Member

BFG AT KO2 315/70/R17 now available to order ...

My set should arrive Monday or Tuesday next week :glasses:

I might want to see those in person...