Snow Chains / Winter tyres

debandjim

• Platinum Member

any advice / recommendations for snow chains? looking to get some for our TJ before heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks. We have 33" tyres

ta

Deb

• Administrators

any advice / recommendations for snow chains? looking to get some for our TJ before heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks. We have 33" tyres

ta

Deb

Hi Deb,

I have just ordered a set of chains for my JK from Polar http://www.snowchains.com  Give Nick a Call 01732 360638

• 1 year later...
  • Platinum Member

Hi all,

as per title, what would you recommend and where could I purchase these? Its somehow urgent

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Administrators

Hi all,

as per title, what would you recommend and where could I purchase these? Its somehow urgent

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Call up Nick at Polar

Polar Automotive Ltd (snowchains.com)

Unit 8, Orchard Business Centre

Sanderson Way

Tonbridge

Kent

TN9 1QQ 

Phone: 01732 360638

Fax: 01732 362751

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Wow that looks like it should get you out of trouble Stewart.

Requirement For some European Countries to carry snow chains!

• Platinum Member

Requirement For some European Countries to carry snow chains!

For some countries it's good enough to just carry them, some you have to actually use them. They work well in mud too. I am surprised more people don't use them as a traction aid on slippery clay.

Ten years ago I drove our JKU up to the furthest point accessible by road in Mürren without chains while it was snowing. It was in the Swiss Jungfrau region at the base of the James Bond hideout used by Blofeld (Tele Savalas) called Piz Gloria. I wondered why everyone was looking at me when I got out and parked up. There were only a few vehicles up there and they all had chains fitted. There was a sign at the bottom of the mountain that I didn't see as it was covered in snow. We noticed it when we went back there in the summer. Oops.

• Platinum Member

Stewart,

Do you have any All Terrain tyres for your Jeep? They might be a better choice for your trip.

I generally prefer ATs and winter street tyres to MTs on snow plowed roads. I like MTs on virgin snow and off road snow where the tyres will reach mud beneath. For me, MT's can be a bit scary driving on snowy roads that are not sufficiently snow covered for chains. I didn't like being on MT's when all the winter tyred AWD cars behind me were driving impatiently. AT's and street tyres seem to hold the snow in the tread grooves and I think that this might help grip snow plowed roads a little better.

I remember one year taking visiting family in our TJ and JKU to a Swiss resort and the bone stock JKU on Bridgestones did much better than the lifted TJ on BFG MTs for most of the journey in the snow there and back. We didn't use (or have) chains! I also remember driving from UK to Switzerland in my XJ on 35" MTs during a snow storm across Europe and I was weaving my way between a large number of abandoned cars on the motorway near the Ardenne that just weren't able to cope with the amount of snow that fell in such a short time. The snow plows couldn't clear the snow fast enough and there wasn't enough traffic at that time of night for the salt to work. I was grateful for MT's and lockers that night.

Bear in mind that my own experience doesn't include any of the modern MT tyres that are 'Severe Snow Rated' with the snowflake symbol on the sidewall.

• Platinum Member

Y niece regularly drives a Mercedes sport to her chalet at Flaine in the French Alps  :scratch:. She has winter tyres and has never had any issues in snow.

Winter tyres  :great:

• Administrators

Stewart,

Do you have any All Terrain tyres for your Jeep? They might be a better choice for your trip.

I generally prefer ATs and winter street tyres to MTs on snow plowed roads. I like MTs on virgin snow and off road snow where the tyres will reach mud beneath. For me, MT's can be a bit scary driving on snowy roads that are not sufficiently snow covered for chains. I didn't like being on MT's when all the winter tyred AWD cars behind me were driving impatiently. AT's and street tyres seem to hold the snow in the tread grooves and I think that this might help grip snow plowed roads a little better.

I remember one year taking visiting family in our TJ and JKU to a Swiss resort and the bone stock JKU on Bridgestones did much better than the lifted TJ on BFG MTs for most of the journey in the snow there and back. We didn't use (or have) chains! I also remember driving from UK to Switzerland in my XJ on 35" MTs during a snow storm across Europe and I was weaving my way between a large number of abandoned cars on the motorway near the Ardenne that just weren't able to cope with the amount of snow that fell in such a short time. The snow plows couldn't clear the snow fast enough and there wasn't enough traffic at that time of night for the salt to work. I was grateful for MT's and lockers that night.

Bear in mind that my own experience doesn't include any of the modern MT tyres that are 'Severe Snow Rated' with the snowflake symbol on the sidewall.

Hi Vince I just got back the other day from our trip and have to say the BFG mud  tyres did very well in snow and even ice ! If I could get the AT on 37”s then maybe that would be my day tyre ! 

• Platinum Member

Hi Vince I just got back the other day from our trip and have to say the BFG mud  tyres did very well in snow and even ice ! If I could get the AT on 37”s then maybe that would be my day tyre !

I’m with you here Stewart :great:

If I could get KO2s in 37” that would be ideal ... available in USA ofcourse. With the current links between BFG and JOC, maybe you could persuade BFG to make some for Europe (37 12.5 17 please) :glasses:

• Platinum Member

You should check with VOSA or whatever they call themselves now about using DOT tyres in UK and EU.

I am reasonably certain from my own experience that if you buy DOT tyres in the USA, pay in $, get a receipt, THEN ship them to yourself in the UK and fit them to your Jeep that they are perfectly legal to use in the UK and EU. However, the tyres must be DOT marked and have a clearly visible load rating moulded into the sidewall that is equal to or exceeds the load rating of the original equipment tyres for your Jeep.

As far as I know it is only illegal to sell non 'E' marked tyres in the EU (including the UK for now) or to import them for selling. If you buy tyres for your own vehicle (personal use) this is OK. Well it was in 2009 when a friend put his US spec JK through a UK BIVA test on a set of DOT tyres that I bought in California for my Jeep.

• Platinum Member

You should check with VOSA or whatever they call themselves now about using DOT tyres in UK and EU.

I am reasonably certain from my own experience that if you buy DOT tyres in the USA, pay in $, get a receipt, THEN ship them to yourself in the UK and fit them to your Jeep that they are perfectly legal to use in the UK and EU. However, the tyres must be DOT marked and have a clearly visible load rating moulded into the sidewall that is equal to or exceeds the load rating of the original equipment tyres for your Jeep.

As far as I know it is only illegal to sell non 'E' marked tyres in the EU (including the UK for now) or to import them for selling. If you buy tyres for your own vehicle (personal use) this is OK. Well it was in 2009 when a friend put his US spec JK through a UK BIVA test on a set of DOT tyres that I bought in California for my Jeep.

Thanks for that Vince :great:

There was a post earlier from JOC admin asking if any members were struggling to get odd tyre combinations. I think the idea was that if enough people were interested, then JOC might arrange for a container from USA. If what you mention is still correct, then a personal import should be possible and the JOC plan would work. I would still prefer BFG to make some for Europe ... but accept that is unlikely.

:hijacked: sorry :oops:

• 10 months later...

It’s the time of year when over the next few months some venture out in their Jeeps, to find the ski slopes, visit family and friends on snow covered roads, or just travelling out and about. Whether in the UK or mainland Europe.

Majority of European countries have regulations for winter driving. 

Don’t be caught out should you travel abroad.

Check the requirements of each country concerned regarding winter vehicle usage and items to be carried onboard.

There has been some useful advice posted previously here by those who have experienced snow covered roads. 

Several members have purchased snow chains successfully, including myself, from 

https://www.snowchains.com/.  

01732 360638

Talk to them about your requirements, and they will inform you of their recommendations. 

Pictures courtesy of Stewart and his JKUR 37” tyres.

456A6D2A-1F4D-4923-9A9D-A5CA55DCEDF8.jpeg

5D70867E-6121-48D2-AB46-63547D432447.jpeg

• Administrators
5 hours ago, Jules said:

It’s the time of year when over the next few months some venture out in their Jeeps, to find the ski slopes, visit family and friends on snow covered roads, or just travelling out and about. Whether in the UK or mainland Europe.

Majority of European countries have regulations for winter driving. 

Don’t be caught out should you travel abroad.

Check the requirements of each country concerned regarding winter vehicle usage and items to be carried onboard.

There has been some useful advice posted previously here by those who have experienced snow covered roads. 

Several members have purchased snow chains successfully, including myself, from 

https://www.snowchains.com/.  

01732 360638

Talk to them about your requirements, and they will inform you of their recommendations. 

Pictures courtesy of Stewart and his JKUR 37” tyres.

456A6D2A-1F4D-4923-9A9D-A5CA55DCEDF8.jpeg

5D70867E-6121-48D2-AB46-63547D432447.jpeg

Just to add I have a set of 4!