Jeeping in the Snow - North Yorkshire

cameronw2411

• Platinum Member

To anyone who knows the area, they will know Rudland Rigg can be quite challenging in snowy conditions

Me and my Dad took our JK and TJ to see how far we could get. There was a good depth of snow which had drifted in places, but the freezing temperatures since the snowfall meant the snow was surprisingly difficult to break through and keep momentum. But it's all good fun, and the challenge is the exciting part!

Here's a video of a small section of the green lane

snow%20jan%202016%20059_zpsmmlwetf5.jpg

snow%20jan%202016%20078_zpsgvzsni1t.jpg

snow%20jan%202016%20065_zpsdrwi7lb6.jpg

snow%20jan%202016%20045_zps3ej0nc6t.jpg

snow%20jan%202016%20040_zpsp2remfcr.jpg

snow%20jan%202016%20019_zpsx1vwovaq.jpg

• Platinum Member

Video is a really good demonstration of the differences between the two chassis..

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

• Platinum Member

Video is a really good demonstration of the differences between the two chassis..

It's quite interesting, I think the TJ benefited with having less weight, meaning it wasn't digging as much. But if the snow was more like powder I would say the JK would be better at  ploughing through it all. I recently sold a modified Suzuki Jimny running 30" tyres, this was great in the snow so would have liked to see how far this would have got, the lightness of the Suzuki would often help it drive on top of the snow.

Guest grey thunder

Been there this weekend my self with dozer ..large drift on top after the rock climbs but completed the rudland rigg. :wav2

20160117_123740.thumb.jpg.01d9c5183d27111ff546fa075a55815a.jpg

• Platinum Member

I was smiling all the way through that video and that's just watching! Looks like a great day out.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

It's quite interesting, I think the TJ benefited with having less weight, meaning it wasn't digging as much. But if the snow was more like powder I would say the JK would be better at  ploughing through it all. I recently sold a modified Suzuki Jimny running 30" tyres, this was great in the snow so would have liked to see how far this would have got, the lightness of the Suzuki would often help it drive on top of the snow.

That and the the JK had flattened it abit :))

Nice video

• Platinum Member

Been there this weekend my self with dozer ..large drift on top after the rock climbs but completed the ridge... :wav2

How far did you go? We ran out of time yesterday so couldn't complete the full length. How was it going up the rock steps? Would have been good to bump into you!

• Platinum Member

Think my wider 315 Duratracs would probably have found it a bit  harder going cutting through compared to Micks  narrower  MT's

• Platinum Member

Why does it always snow when you don't have a Jeep on the road.....

Tim when will the project be finished? Or is that a silly question... Aim for Jeepey Jamboree? ;)

Think my wider 315 Duratracs would probably have found it a bit  harder going cutting through compared to Micks  narrower  MT's

Would have been interesting to have a comparison Lawrence, the wider tyres may have stopped it from cutting down and jacking it up. Me and Dad decided the Maxxis Bighorn had better traction in the snow compared with the BFG KM2 on mine.

Guest grey thunder

How far did you go? We ran out of time yesterday so couldn't complete the full length. How was it going up the rock steps? Would have been good to bump into you!

We started from the climb up to the rock step and completed the trail ...we did have to use shovels  :happy:

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.18d3370c5c7a2f6dc6ba95491d5aede7.jpg

FullSizeRender-2.thumb.jpg.9a4d08af0291c57da12d226b28d50b3a.jpg

FullSizeRender-3.thumb.jpg.1a2d287c52a58bd89ecfca341d81dddc.jpg

FullSizeRender-4.thumb.jpg.b3b783177a8f32aa0f010248c5b32044.jpg

Guest grey thunder

I ran tyre presses at 12psi to get the tyres to float on the snow not dig to it ...I did have to put the chains on for some of it ...we started around 14hrs and got of about 2.5 hours later ....may go back this coming Saturday for some more lanes ..

• Platinum Member

I ran tyre presses at 12psi to get the tyres to float on the snow not dig to it ...I did have to put the chains on for some of it ...we started around 14hrs and got of about 2.5 hours later ....may go back this coming Saturday for some more lanes ..

Nice pictures! Which day did you go out? That's a good idea lowering the pressure

Guest grey thunder

We where there all weekend ...started at hawes ..

You should always lower pressures in sand mud and snow it's one of the basics ! :great:  be a good idea for you to get booked on one of our expedition weekends ..