Which battery?

Iain CDM

• Platinum Member

Hi folks. The battery in my XJ 4.0L is starting to show its age - the engine turns over okay but it takes longer to burst into life than it did. A friend put a basic battery tester on it and said the volts are ok but the amps are well down. So, assuming it's time for a new one, is there a particular brand I should go for or any I should avoid?  Are the Halfords own brand ones ok or the Yuasa ones they also sell?  Thanks in anticipation.

• Platinum Member

Optima Red Top (gel type, no spill when jeep falls over!! LOL)  from Tayna Batteries. Good prices, speedy delivery.

• Platinum Member

Optima Red Top (gel type, no spill when jeep falls over!! LOL)  from Tayna Batteries. Good prices, speedy delivery.

Optima is not a gel battery! From their website: http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs/

"A gel battery design is typically a modification of the standard lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. Many gel batteries also use one-way valves in place of open vents, which help the normal internal gasses to recombine back into water in the battery, reducing gassing. Generally, gel batteries are less tolerant of high heat and are charged at lower power than traditional or AGM batteries.  An OPTIMA battery is neither a gel battery nor regular flooded battery. OPTIMA is a SPIRALCELLTECHNOLOGY AGM battery."

I just got an Odyssey Group 34 PC1500; MDS batteries, best price I could find and free UPS delivery

• Platinum Member

Whatever. I did say gel type, so as not to get into too much technical detail, in other words not sloppy liquid!

But they're still a bl###y good battery.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

I have recently fitted a Yuasa 12 v 100 ah 900 cca to my WJ has a 5 year warranty and £86.00 delivered in UK.

• Platinum Member

Go figure, my 2013 JK battery just puked.  I went with Varta Silver, as the OEM battery is made by Johnson Controls who sells batteries retail, as Varta.

My TJ needed a battery last year, put a Yuasa in that and even though I do not drive the TJ very often, fires right up.

• Administrators

Optima is not a gel battery! From their website: http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/support/faqs/

"A gel battery design is typically a modification of the standard lead-acid automotive or marine battery. A gelling agent is added to the electrolyte to reduce movement inside the battery case. Many gel batteries also use one-way valves in place of open vents, which help the normal internal gasses to recombine back into water in the battery, reducing gassing. Generally, gel batteries are less tolerant of high heat and are charged at lower power than traditional or AGM batteries.  An OPTIMA battery is neither a gel battery nor regular flooded battery. OPTIMA is a SPIRALCELLTECHNOLOGY AGM battery."

I just got an Odyssey Group 34 PC1500; MDS batteries, best price I could find and free UPS delivery

When I get round to dual batteries I'll opt for a pair of Odyssey ones !  Dual battery tray I fitted to Dozer https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php/topic,3666.0.html

Guest grey thunder

Odyssey are excellent they have a better deep cycle than the optima no need for a starter and deep they do both jobs. I used to run 4 1700 on a cruiser. Loads of cca perfect for cold weather  :great:

• Platinum Member

It would appear that the Odyssey batteries are an excellent upgrade / replacement battery for all Jeeps.

My choice for my JKUR would be the 34-PC1500. This comes in a few different formats:

34 1500T = normal top terminals (see pic 1)

34R 1500T = normal top terminals but with + and – reversed (didn’t think a pic of this would add anything)

34M 1500 = marine version with extra small terminals on top (pic 2 added for interest only)

34/78 1500DT = normal top terminals plus terminal on the side (see pic 3)

The last one 1500DT seems to makes a lot of practical sense; you can use the extra (side) terminals for connecting accessories – leaving standard terminals to do their original job. It also appears to be easier to buy this version in the UK – probably because of its popularity among the LR community.

Now I don’t think the 1500DT will work in a dual battery set-up … simply no room to fit the side terminals … and if you are going to the sophistication of fitting twin batteries and the necessary trays etc, there will probably also be a neat solution for connecting accessories – certainly if you go the Genesis route used by Stewart in the past (and probably in the future by the sounds of it).

For completeness, I also add a copy of a pdf of the Odyssey Extreme data sheet. Hope all that helps.

:alien: I do have a question :alien:

It appears that the battery in my Rubicon is reversed ie the RH terminal is +VE (rather than the “normal” –VE).

Is this correct? If so, does anyone know why? And again, if so, do I need a 34R as a replacement? That would rather knock my choice of the 1500DT to one side. Very curious :scratch:

34-pc1500_right.thumb.jpg.42a7f58ed6783a65413bd362d678999a.jpg

34m-pc1500-original.thumb.jpg.118d875e5b160dced58f6ad87feded40.jpg

pc1500-3478.thumb.jpg.2988e95ad95d006995c56961d1e79286.jpg

Odyssey_Extreme-Data-Sheet.pdf

• Platinum Member

Kerry,

as mentioned, I recently installed a 34/78 1500DT. It is expensive, but it works!

Better spent money that other spent in less important mods... someone should have told me that earlier!

Hugo

• Administrators

:alien: I do have a question :alien:

It appears that the battery in my Rubicon is reversed ie the RH terminal is +VE (rather than the “normal” –VE).

Is this correct? If so, does anyone know why? And again, if so, do I need a 34R as a replacement? That would rather knock my choice of the 1500DT to one side. Very curious :scratch:

Jeep use the same battery for LHD and RHD the positive is near the bulkhead on LHD and the negative near the Bukkhead on RHD as the batteries are positioned on opposite side respectively. Not sure what you mean by reversed terminals ? Every manufacturer has there own preference. There are a few dual battery setups out there mostly for LHD JK's rather than try and reinvent the wheel I went with Shane's setup at Genisis as it looked the simplest. The G screen option Bob has fitted to Dozer is a very simple and uncomplicated unit too! I fitted dual batteries to Dozer for expedition trips also to have extra capacity for the winch.

Hope this info helps ?

• Platinum Member

I've got the same set up on my JK with the Genesis Dual tray and 2 x  Odyssey 1500.

I was debating about buying the G screen but I never did.

I know what is for but is it really needed? Do you find it useful Bob? Where in the cab did you fit the screen?

• Platinum Member

Jeep use the same battery for LHD and RHD the positive is near the bulkhead on LHD and the negative near the Bukkhead on RHD as the batteries are positioned on opposite side respectively. Not sure what you mean by reversed terminals ? Every manufacturer has there own preference. There are a few dual battery setups out there mostly for LHD JK's rather than try and reinvent the wheel I went with Shane's setup at Genisis as it looked the simplest. The G screen option Bob has fitted to Dozer is a very simple and uncomplicated unit too! I fitted dual batteries to Dozer for expedition trips also to have extra capacity for the winch.

Hope this info helps ?

Thanks for that Stewart :great:

If you look at the terminals on the Odyssey batteries the +ve terminal is on the left (and the -ve on the right).

The battery in my JKUR has the -ve terminal on the left (and the +ve on the right) ie "swapped over".

So if I simply replace the existing battery with an Odyssey one (which I would like to do) ... I would have to make sure I connect the +ve and -ve wiring correctly ie swap them over. The cables under my bonnet do not appear to have much slack - and obviously I haven't tried - so I'm asking if anyone has had problems with this??

It may be so simple & obvious that I don't need to worry. Clarification would be appreciated.

Odyssey do make the 34R PC-1500 - it would appear to be made to cover this exact scenario.

PS Hugo, thanks for the positive feedback on the 34/78 PC1500 DT :great: Did you use the side terminals to connect accessories?

• Platinum Member

There also still seems to be life in my battery which was what started the thread! I thought it was on its way out but it still turns the engine over well despite the frosty weather. The reluctance of the engine to start as instantly as it used to may be down to plugs or something else. I will have to experiment.

• Platinum Member

Take it into a tyre shop and ask nicely for a free battery capacity check & alternator charge voltage

Battery can seem OK even running on low capacity, but can just fail ... especially in cold weather

• Administrators

There also still seems to be life in my battery which was what started the thread! I thought it was on its way out but it still turns the engine over well despite the frosty weather. The reluctance of the engine to start as instantly as it used to may be down to plugs or something else. I will have to experiment.

Look like it's wondered off topic a bit  :icon_e_confused:

• Platinum Member

Yes you need the 34R-PC1500 if just a straight swap and not doing the dual battery setup

Thanks for clarifying that Stewart :great:

Glad I asked the question … as it seems rather important that anyone considering a replacement battery should check that the “orientation” (of the terminals) matches that of the existing battery … and this is where the thread started ~ with Iain asking for recommendations for a new battery, because he thought his was dying.

Good to hear that the existing battery is OK afterall ... at least you have a few choices if it should fail in the future ...

PS now if we keep talking about dual batteries … yes, that might be considered a slight deflection “off topic” :glasses: