ABS WARNING lights

BLUE STAR

• Platinum Member

Had the ABS & ESP warning lights along with the swerving drunk driver icon come on this morning shortly after starting off

Little further down the road  they went  off and been OK since

Checked for fault codes using the ignition key routine  but non appeared

Any thoughts ?

Earthing issue somewhere or a dodgy sensor or both, Probably one of the ABS sensors glitching . ESP and ABS systems are linked so no surprise they both came on......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member
rougeraven117

If its a JK, steering could be off, have a bad hub, have a bad speed sensor, or a combination of them.  I just fixed mine after replacing multiple parts

• Platinum Member

had this problem the other day bluestar, plugged it in at our garage and it turned out to be a faulty intermittent rear abs sensor. was puttting the traction control on randomly at slow speed, then would be fine for a bit. replaced the sensor (12quid from jeep) and its been fine for a week so far

• Platinum Member

Fuel filters due for changing so might book it in for that and get them to check it out.

Suppose I should keep the contact up with the service dept now & then

• Platinum Member

Need to get the fault code out. Either garage or buy a diagnostic tool - I bought one for my KJ year or so ago, used it many times & saved a fortune in garage costs. But to your problem - my KJ had the same symptoms - first time it was a duff wheel sensor. Some months later same symptoms, same fault code, but it cleared itself after a good hose down- Ipso facto - sh 1 t in the hub!!

• Platinum Member

Yep thought / hoping  it could  muck ! but its getting a little cold out to start investigating taking wheels off etc

So hoping that's all it was

• 1 month later...
  • Platinum Member

Well the ABS / ESP lights returned with 'ding' last Sunday after many weeks of trouble free motoring,  as I started to hit the tracks of Kielder again

Had to get out of forest as the brakes were being applied intermittently.

Called AA and they identified as front nearside sensor fault.

Disconnected,  tested and was able to get back into the forest after lunch break to finish the day with just the ABS not operational.

Fitting new sensor didn't solve the problem today  :icon_cry:

Apparently it is the hub bearing at fault,  being too much play  with the offside also showing excessive play.

Seems to drive OK with no noise from the hubs that I've experienced  when bearings went on other vehicles I've had in the past ?

So ordered two new hubs.

Can these be fitted OK without removing half shafts ?

Done 70,000 miles  now  so is this to be expected ?

• Platinum Member

I think a few of us have had similar issues. Changing hubs is very easy, the shafts do not need to come out. One word of advice, fit OEM bearings. I have found a great source for OEM bearings pm me if you would like the contact. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

Your not alone....

My ESP ABS light has been on and off twice in the last month, once about 3 weeks ago and once again two days ago.

It started after the addition of the winch recently.

but it come on for about a day and then goes off again, so not sure.

Similar thing, no noise and it up on jacks no excess play, done 70K.

• Platinum Member

I think a few of us have had similar issues. Changing hubs is very easy, the shafts do not need to come out. One word of advice, fit OEM bearings. I have found a great source for OEM bearings pm me if you would like the contact. 

Too late

I've already ordered two Mopar hubs £148 + VAT  that appear to come with sensors & studs installed.

Not messing around can live with the expense every 70,000 at least 7 years of enjoyable wheeling  :icon_e_biggrin:

Getting fitted Friday morning in time for two days of green lanes this weekend.

• Platinum Member

Your not alone....

My ESP ABS light has been on and off twice in the last month, once about 3 weeks ago and once again two days ago.

It started after the addition of the winch recently.

but it come on for about a day and then goes off again, so not sure.

Similar thing, no noise and it up on jacks no excess play, done 70K.

First thought would be the extra weight of the winch on the hubs which are starting to show their milage  :suspect: 

• Platinum Member

So what is the approx procedure  to  fit the hubs without removing the half shafts.

I guess you remove the discs / callipers and there is 3 bolts at the back which holds the hub.... 

• Platinum Member

That's about the size of it, just remember to undo the hub nut, from memory it is 36mm. The 3 bolts are 12 spline and can be a pain if they have not been out for few years.

• Platinum Member

That's about the size of it, just remember to undo the hub nut, from memory it is 36mm. The 3 bolts are 12 spline and can be a pain if they have not been out for few years.

Thanks for reply

Must be 54,000 mile since those bolts would have been removed.

I already bought  the 12 spline nuts (5012436AB) a while back, after scoping the condition of them in anticipation of having to do UV & ball joints in the future.

Never gave the hubs a thought at the time.

So will replace them with the new ones with plenty of anti-seize for future removal 

Cheers

• Platinum Member

If it's like the KJ, then these 3 nuts are a pain to loosen. Restricted space and star socket will slip and round off edges.

Split top and bottom swivels and tie rods, remove the whole lot and do it on the bench. Use a long breaker bar. Will get much more torque on them.

• Platinum Member

Liberal use of WD40 especially from the disc side.