Paint protection

Oddball

• Platinum Member

Evening all,

What idea's / thoughts / views / opinions / experience do people have with protecting paint from brush marking?

Obvious to suggest wrapping however getting vinyl repeatedly muddy is likely to tatty it pretty quickly.  Not overly precious about accruing tattoo's  and light battle scars but with the JKUR being so very new, if there are some low maintenance potentially hassle free solutions to mitigate or at least reduce panel marking I would happily give them a go.

Has anyone tried out the RR magnetic panels?

Cheers

Steve.

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

I looked at them at SEMA, and spoke with their design and production manager about them. The were very well made and seemed to fit very well. They are well priced to in comparison to Trail Skins ! I'm having a set ! Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Administrators

I looked at them at SEMA, and spoke with their design and production manager about them. The were very well made and seemed to fit very well. They are well priced to in comparison to Trail Skins ! I'm having a set ! Chris

Saw this at SEMA . Looks good did you see their stand Chris?

• Platinum Member

Cheers Chris.

My take a punt and order a set up...one to sleep on I think.

Saw this at SEMA . Looks good did you see their stand Chris?

Yeah spend quite a while chatting to them . The had only priced a couple of sets at that point . Looked a very comprehensive set!

I've got a few picture somewhere.  Will look .....

• Administrators

Yeah spend quite a while chatting to them . The had only priced a couple of sets at that point . Looked a very comprehensive set!

I've got a few picture somewhere.  Will look .....

Did you see the clear film ? https://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ultimate_paint_protection_film.asp

I used to do a lot of green laning on the Welsh Borders & all the lanes were very, very scratchy enough to go straight through top coat, lacquer etc...one of my buddies is a Dutch chap with a Toyota & at the start of the every day he puts industrial cling film (the sort used to wrap around pallets) on his truck sides and then removes it at the end of the day, the results were always amazing, my paintwork was trashed & even after several years of off roading his paintwork looked like new...when I get the time to resume laning in my shiny new JK I know what I'm going to do!

• Platinum Member

I used to do a lot of green laning on the Welsh Borders & all the lanes were very, very scratchy enough to go straight through top coat, lacquer etc...one of my buddies is a Dutch chap with a Toyota & at the start of the every day he puts industrial cling film (the sort used to wrap around pallets) on his truck sides and then removes it at the end of the day, the results were always amazing, my paintwork was trashed & even after several years of off roading his paintwork looked like new...when I get the time to resume laning in my shiny new JK I know what I'm going to do!

What a great idea!  I have 3 rolls of that stuff in the garage; I need a Guinea pig [emoji848]

The first time our Dutch buddy used it we all seriously took the piss & laughed a lot...at the end of the first day he looked at all our trashed paintwork, seriously de-valued vehicles & the took the piss & laughed a lot...then we went for a pint (or several) & everything was fine in the world! When I sold my 4 year Defender the buyer had never seen paintwork so bad on a fairly young vehicle, whereas my Dutch buddies Toyota still looks showroom condition...give it a go, expect the piss to be taken & then have a pint!

Didn't see it this year but in 2014 I had a go at trying to use it in the body shop section. Let's just say there is an art to it, unlike vinyl it's very pliable almost like jelly film! Let's just say I wouldn't attempt it myself ! Looked awful and even a couple of guys we watched have a go the do normal wrapping full time struggled. But the were the busiest stand in there area! Looked a great product ! 

• Platinum Member

The first time our Dutch buddy used it we all seriously took the piss & laughed a lot...at the end of the first day he looked at all our trashed paintwork, seriously de-valued vehicles & the took the piss & laughed a lot...then we went for a pint (or several) & everything was fine in the world! When I sold my 4 year Defender the buyer had never seen paintwork so bad on a fairly young vehicle, whereas my Dutch buddies Toyota still looks showroom condition...give it a go, expect the piss to be taken & then have a pint!

The days of giving a toss what others think has looooooong since passed [emoji1]

Liking the look of a number of these options...

• Platinum Member

I have two sets of Trail Skinz and like the thickness compared to wraps.  I saw the RR ones at Sema and they are slightly thicker so may be even better.

BTW I never use the magnets that go between the front doors and wheel arches, just the doors and strip below rear windows.

Magnets are easy on and easy off, plus I like putting decals on them for events......