Roof tent or Trailer?

Rolf

• Platinum Member

World travellers, and anybody who cares to have an opinion.

I am looking for a better option of sleeping/ camping when on the trail or quite frankly just away from home.

I love the idea of a Moby1 trailer, but cannot afford one, I keep thinking about buying a horse box and convert and fit new suspension / wheels which would make a nice trailer. But do I want to tow a trailer around, space is limiting in this country, if you need to go into town it can be an issue. The wife would prefer this route.

However a roof tent gives great mobility, cheaper, might be a bit scary in high winds. Anybody who knows me will know I really go far without my boys, if the wife is with me where do I put the boys 5 & 7.

I should also mention that I am looking at trips to Spain and Morocco in the next few years as well as plenty of the U.K. 

I look forward to hearing you thoughts. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Trade Member

Used a roof tent for two years both times were in spain and france and then used it once in the UK.

Downsides to roof tents in my opinion:

-Getting in and out in the morning to go for a pee can be a bit dangerous (if your in a rush)  :icon_rolleyes:

-Time taken to put it up (unless you go for the pop up like i did, well worth it)

Downsides to trailer in my opinion:

-more drag and less mpg

-Pay more on ferrys etc

-And i there were a few times at campsite etc that having a trailer would have been a pain, small spaces etc.

One thing i would say is with a roof tent in a hot country, expect to get up early in the morning as the heat will affect you. (sometimes hard to park under trees with tents on the roof)

Another thing is will your truck fit in places it does now? We had so many issues when going to some of the cities like barcelona etc with ours.. if you intend on going anywhere like that.

I would still take a roof tent mind you!

Hope this is in someway helpful!

Alex

So, just my opinion, based on observations not experience.

Root top tent - means roof rack, means no soft top. Which would be an issue for me.

Also increases the headroom and with a lift as well will mean some restrictions.

Also when camping for multiple days at one site, you will be taking your set up with you every time you leave.

Increases you centre of gravity  :scratch:

That said, they are a nice bit of kit.

Trailer - all the comments mentioned by Alex, but does mean you can leave it and go out for the day.

So roof top tent on a trailer........ Sounds familiar to me, someone must have this set up  :happy:

• Platinum Member

Roof tents are great, really good fun and so many people comment and chat about it at campsites. If you have the boys and the missus it's too small, if it's raining then you can't sit about like you can in a normal tent really unless you get all the extra panels down to the ground. We found the real downside was if you want to just drive into town, you have to pack it all away. Mega quick to set up though and very cool ;)

Our latest version is a good quality car side awning and a ground tent, the awning is just superb and you can have the outdoor feeling yet still under cover.

Trailer....cant comment really as not really used one.

• Platinum Member

Will let you know soon! Maggiolina going on soon! Once the rack dilemma is sorted !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tough one, I believe that there are only 2 real options Front Runner or AEV and as I am an ex colonial I go with Front Runner every time. I always think that the Africans and Australians have an overland pedigree that others could only wish for. 

Guest grey thunder

used them both, cruiser had roof tent complete with large awning loved it 20yrs plus had a ball with it ,,also have tepee for cold weather nothing I mean nothing can get near a tepee with a log burner for the winter camper ,,as some of you know I also have a trailer and I love it ..some of you have even tried to keep up with it on the welsh mountain roads I wouldn't like to say that there is a lot more drag with the trailer it sits inside the dimensions of dozer yes there are two more tyres on the road ,,but I bet you cant carry in or on your rig what I can put in the trailer ..and still carry four people  :great: :wav2 :wav2     

• Platinum Member
General Confusion

I'm in the middle. I have a trailer tent. Will sleep eight. Two double rooms are off of the floor. Detachable sink/cooker unit.

Bit of a faff to put up and down, but that may be down to lack of use and my health issues. Stores on its side in the garage or will go on its side through a garden gate. Weighs nothing.

Also can be left at the site if you want to nip into town.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the comments, I had an interesting conversation over dinner, it appears that the wife is scared of falling out of a roof tent. I still think they are worth looking at, does anyone know if I can rent one anywhere.

I think that the way forward will be hard shell trailer with a roof tent up top. Considering I build on a budget I need to work out where the best place to start will be. Does anybody know where I can get trailer hubs in this country to match the  stud pattern.

MGalleryItem.php?id=2720

That's where I ended up just after the overland show in September. Got the awning in a bag that is also free standing, so I can drive away for the day.

Also hope to be able to use with the soft top.  :scratch:

• Platinum Member

http://www.rooftentslimited.com/ROOF-TENT-AWNINGS/side-awnings.html

This is where I got mine, solid as a rock and literally takes about 2 mins to pack away securely, 3-4 mins to put up,  I have it bolted to the roof rack. I store the tent and a roof box on the rack too. A wind break from the back of the Jeep to the tent makes a great BBQ spot with the rear door open and the absolute must have, fold out table, attached to the inside of the rear door.

• Platinum Member

Clam shell roof tents are good however you get no privacy getting in or out; Howling Moon are the best soft roof tents you can lay your hands on.  After a few years of use you find that having to stow the tent every morning if you want to use the vehicle during the day - right faff.  Roof tents are best for overland expeditions...look elsewhere if you want something to camp with and to be convenient.

Trailers are also a real faff unless you are over landing.

The other thing with roof and trailers is the beds are never comfy enough...you need over 10cm's of decent foam for a nice nights sleep (not just tolerable)...most roof tents with this thick a mattress mean you are stripping your bedding off to stow (and many trailers) - more faff.

After years doing both (with kids) we have arrived at our best compromise set up - a pair of Oztenta (an RV4 and a 3) side and front panels for both; we have recently discovered carp beds (Fox Flatlighter MK2's using dry bags means they can be carried on the roof) - a level of comfort you can only dream about on a slab of foam in a roof tent or trailer.  We now only travel with our youngest lad...he gets an OzTent cot and a 4 season bag.

We will be roof mounting this lot on a front runner rack.  Inside - Engle MT45 mounted on the back of the 40 side of the split rear seat and then the boot loaded with 6 Front Runner Wolf boxes with all the usual gear along with a bespoke kitchen case for the Coleman FryChamp Propane twin burner stove and kitchen.

Only have to figure where the BBQ and NATO water carriers will go...

Given the significant outlay associated with both options, I would try and test run both RT and Trailer Tent ahead of purchasing...in my humble opinion, neither are great options for family camping however many would contest this.

Boab.biz is a good place to look; the owners are knowledgeable with deep experience of over landing and LR expedition prep.

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.

Rolf....

Hotel....

Nuff said....

Or just share Graham's tent, its big enough for us all! :rofl: !

• Platinum Member

Or just share Graham's tent, its big enough for us all! :rofl: !

Like your thinking, Graham carry it and do all the work then we all jump in. Lol

Guest grey thunder

Thanks chaps ....and for those of you who think a trailer slows you down just have a chat with chrisby next time you see him , He'll tell you  a little story. . :glasses: :rofl:

Ah yes, a very spirited evening drive through the winding lanes of Wales !

One of the best hours of driving ever, Lets just say that I struggled to keep up with Dozer + Trailer and enjoyed every minute of racing back to camp that night! Real fun and I'm sure Graham felt the same too! His TJ performed like a GTi ! Oh and I was still disconnected ! Good Times.....

• Platinum Member

Pure luxury. . :mdr:

Where is the trailer from Bob, Trek?  Looks good behind a lifted JKU, much more in proportion than it does on a Defender...

Chief Cable Tie Engineer.