no reverse lights

woody-Jeep

• Platinum Member

Well i parked the tj back in the drive today and a neighbour told me i had no reverse  lights working ......

its a auto so checked and yes no lights...

Did the obvious stuff bulbs fuse etc and all are good.

Any body have any ideas ?

cheers

Paul

• Platinum Member

If you've got an automatic, (assuming it's the same as on an XJ) then it is likely to be the NSS (neutral safety switch). They become sticky. Remove it, open it and give it a clean.

Often, once the gearbox gets hot (1/2 hour drive at least) the reverse light might start working again, alas the grease in the switch becomes a bit more fluid and the contacts work again.

Reverse light not working or engine not starting - 4.0L Auto

https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php?topic=348

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Platinum Member

hi,i had the same thing ...soon after i got my xj.so i removed the NSS on the side of the gearbox...clean it out as Sven has said...i also stretched the 2 springs under the 2 copper contacts on the sweep arm...put it all back together refitted it and adjust it  so the engine started in P and N....and made sure the reverse lights worked when in R...job done!!. :icon_e_smile:

• Platinum Member

All

thanks for the replies

looks like i will be getting my hands dirty once the turkey as settled. .......

Sven what a great write up and pics make me feel more confident about tackling it

cheers and have a good one

• Platinum Member

If you've got an automatic, (assuming it's the same as on an XJ) then it is likely to be the NSS (neutral safety switch). They become sticky. Remove it, open it and give it a clean.

Often, once the gearbox gets hot (1/2 hour drive at least) the reverse light might start working again, alas the grease in the switch becomes a bit more fluid and the contacts work again.

Reverse light not working or engine not starting - 4.0L Auto

https://www.jeepowners.club/forum/index.php?topic=348

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It'll be nothing like an XJ.

• Platinum Member

The TJ will have an old school hex shaped screw in switch with a 3 pin plug. +12v in, starter enable when in P or N, Reverse light when in R.