engine fan running on.

mechanic

• Platinum Member

New to the forum so hope i am posting in the correct place.I have just bought a new Jeep Cherokee Limited. The question i have is that the engine fan runs on despite the engine/ignition being turned off.This has happened three times now and i am not sure if this is normal because this is my first Jeep Can anyone advise me on this.I don`t what to go complaining to the dealer if this is ok .

• Platinum Member

I can only assume from the lack of replies to my topic means that this is not normal for my Cherokee.A visit to a main dealer seems to be in order!

• Platinum Member
General Confusion

The lack of replies could be down to it being Christmas perhaps.

I have never owned one of the new type Cherokees, but I have owned cars in the past where the fan runs on when the ignition is turned off. I even had a transit van that did it so it is not unusual.

Please don't be so quick to assume that it must be wrong just because you haven't had a reply.

• Platinum Member

I would be inclined to check your handbook to see if it is a feature of your Jeep.  It is a feature on some vehicles that the fan stays on when the engine is turned off, dependant on the temperature in the engine bay. 

• Platinum Member

I had a Renault that used to run the fan for a few minutes after everything was switched off.

As long as it stops eventually I'd guess it's nothing to worry about.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies to my post.I have checked the handbook and there is no mention of this happening.I will see how things go over the next couple of weeks.Thanks again folks.

My jeep has a viscous fan (controlled by the engine), once the engines off the fans off. I've had new cars in the past where the fan stays on for a short period once the cars turned off - mainly in the summer or after a long run. What's your engine temp?

0||||||0  Jeep Wrangler TJ 2002

• Platinum Member

The engine temp seems to be normal from what i can see. The engine runs on for about three or four minutes.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Platinum Member

It may be that i have managed to purchase, what i have been told , is a" Monday car". I have already posted about the engine fan running on. But now various "faults" seem to be coming to the fore. The car seems to remember how you last opened or closed  it . If you opened the car using the key fob previously, it will not close pushing the button on the door handle. If you have opened the tail gate manually previously it will not close using the key fob . Driving away from traffic lights a Beep was heard and there was a marked  loss of acceleration ,  looking at the dashboard to see what was happening there was nothing to be seen and then full power was suddenly available.Starting the car and about to drive off  then suddenly the dash says that the Key/Keyfob has left the vehicle, when it clearly has not, and you cannot drive off. Various beeps when driving occur and there appears to be no reason for them.There seems to be a lot of false alarms happening with the vehicle and i have got to the stage that i do not trust this car. I have to switch off the ignition and basically reboot the electronics. This is in no way acceptable for a modern vehicle at the price they are charging. I have decided not to have the dealer check the vehicle as the "faults"are of an intermittent nature and feel that its likely they will find nothing anyway plus i have lost faith in the vehicle. And as said previously i do not trust the car and its time to change this Jeep for a car i can have faith in. This is my first foray into the world of the modern Jeep family for me and have found it to be a big disappointment.

• Platinum Member

Hi, I would take it into the dealer and get them to run a full diagnostics check on the car's software. If is new this would be done under warranty.

I have a 2015 Jag XF and 3 weeks out of the showroom I started having various electronic issues. It turned out there were a couple of faults, one with the gateway and one with a separate module that was found not to be communicating with the car. This was resolved by completely reprogramming the module and a  thorough look into the system to resolve any other errors. The module is probably made by Siemens or some other electronics company. My friend has also had similar issues with his Range Rover Sport.

My Jeep is waiting to be built at the moment, but my point is that the hardware and software are usually made by independent companies and can happen to any car regardless of cost.

It is worth the trip to find out what the issue is.

I haven't had any issues with my car since.

Good luck! [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk