UK Newby looking for advice

Delboy735

• Platinum Member

Hi Guys'n'Gals, new to this forum, so first off, thanks for allowing me to join. I'm looking at purchasing a Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7, so just wondered what sort of things I should look at please. I'm on a seriously limited budget, so I know I'm looking at highish mileage, but to be fair, miles don't worry me. Need to look at 4 x 4 due to recent house move to the West Coast of Scotland and having a very rough half mile farm track to drive up just to get to my house.......and it rains a lot, and snows !!!

Looked at different options for 4 x 4, but to be fair, I am a Jeep fan ( probably just an American vehicle fan to be honest ).

Read lots of readers reviews, and almost everybody has been delighted with their purchase, so just seemd the logical thing to do. Obviosly I'd like a supercharged 6.2 V8, but budget may restrict my choice at the moment  :icon_lol:

Thanks in advance........off to look at Jeep piccies now  :glasses:

• Platinum Member

Unless you're doing it for economy (and they're not that economical anyway) you'd be better off with a 4.0 petrol. Cheaper to buy and to maintain and fix.

• Platinum Member

Cheers guys, thought that might be the case. Overall running costs will have to be watched, hence the diesel. cheaper road tax, but not sure about servicing. V8 does sound epic though  :icon_e_biggrin:

• Platinum Member

My V8 only costs £280 per year or what ever it is now. I pay it monthly though and hardly notice it  :glasses:

FYI my V8 does around 15mpg around town and about 21mpg on the motorway. My dads 4ltr does slightly better, but not by much.

• Platinum Member

hi. I have a diesel xj but had a 4.0 petrol auto for a while. theres only bout 4 mpg in the difference between them. if I had the choice again I would go with the petrol. just for drivability and the choice of an auto

• Platinum Member
General Confusion

Look here    http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/car-buyers-guide/cbg_roadtax.html

For vehicles registered before 1st March 2001 there are only 2 bands

Engine 1549cc or smaller – 2014/15 rate = £145 per year (£140 in 2013/14)

Engine bigger than 1549cc – 2014/15 rate = £230 per year ( £225 in 2013/14)

For vehicles registered after 1st March 2001 it is based on emissions and is a bit more complicated.

And for cars registered after 1st April 2017, it is even more complicated!!!!