Jeep cherokee 2004 2.8 crd limited engine cutting out

tandy79

• Platinum Member

Hi everyone,

My first post here so hopefully I've put this in the right location and not broken any rules.

I'm after some advice from you guys please.

About 2wks ago I purchased my very first jeep cherokee 2004 2.8 crd limited- very pleased with my purchase which I intend to use next yr for taking the kids camping, bike riding you get the idea.

Last week while happily driving along the engine cutout.

I stopped the jeep and reset the key and away I go.....

Here's the issue since then each time you put your foot full on the throttle pedal and the engine revs go above 2000 the same thing happens. Engine cuts out again  :icon_redface:

The only time it doesn't is when you switch to 1st speed (autobox). Everythings fine apart from lack of speed.

It's become a right pain.

No error messages on the diagnostics or warning lights on the dashboard.

Really strange right?

Has anyone had the same problem, I really need to get it sorted.

Thanks for your help.

• Platinum Member

I had exactly the same problem with my wife's Cherokee. If you went over a speed bump, accelerated hard and eventually revved the engine it would cut out. This happened over the period of about an hour! The problem was the loom where it runs past the air filter box. At that point the loom isn't covered in anything a dis just a bunch of wires. One of them had rubbed against a lip on the box to the point where the insulation was damaged and damp had got in corroding the inner wire. If you moved it with the engine running it would cut out. I cut the wire, soldered the ends together and put some heat shrink on it and for the last 2 years it's been fine. Certainly worth checking on your car to see if that's what the problem is.

• Platinum Member

As Obarno said could be one reason it's cutting out. Another reason could be that it's getting air in the fuel line or you have some dirty diesel/water and the engine cuts out. It generally restarts immediately and you run away until the next time you have to put your foot down. Since you just bought the KJ, did it have a a service recently? if not it might be worth getting it in for a full service and have the fuel filter changes and checked for water residue. It's winter now and some petrol station (including the major Supermarket ones) don't always sell the best Diesel.

• Platinum Member

Many thanks for your advice....

I'll be spending some time tomorrow trying to find the fault.

Will feedback for others afterwards!

Cheers

• 2 months later...
  • Platinum Member

Ok first of all sorry for the delay in my reply,

Dislocated my shoulder and not been able to do much with the car since- other than read online all the faults and suggestions how to fix the fault.

What has changed since I opened this thread.

I now have the following error codes, P1130, P0203, P0202, P836, P579

Work carried out

Replacement oil filter - no change in performance.

New injectors 2,3 - no change in performance.

Checked the wire looms as suggested no obvious breaks/damage.

Biocide put in the fuel - no change

Before I spend even more cash on parts etc...... Has any got some more suggests what the fault could be?

Thanks for your help.

• Platinum Member

The problem with fault codes is some of them may have been from a previous breakdown/issue before you had the jeep. I would delete the codes and drive until the fault occurs again and read the new codes. It could be the fuel pressure sensor or regulator? Let us know if you get to the bottom of it.

• Platinum Member

the crank position sensor cps is breaking down when it hot, this happened to mine, when the previous owner had it

• Platinum Member

the crank position sensor cps is breaking down when it hot, this happened to mine, when the previous owner had it

Similar problem on a 2005 WK and it was the crankshaft sensor.

• Platinum Member

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Notice a lot of white smoke comes out the exhaust just before the engine cuts out.

Any idea how a garage will charge to replace the crankshaft sensor?